New to board

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forums. Long ago when I got my first boogie, there was not much to choose from that I was aware of. Either a combo or a head and cabinet were the only options. That dates back to 1989 when I brought home a new Mark III combo amp. At the time, I was naive on what was what. Did not know there was different versions, DRG, HRG, SRG and KRG. Had I realized the potential of the Mark amps, and what I know now, I would have selected a Mark III HRG head and a 412 cab. That was out of my limited budget at that time, so the combo made more sense.

That Mark III was a pure workhorse of an amp and served me well for 24 years. I sold it to a friend back in 2012 and it is still going strong to this day. Never replaced the caps, I am sure they may be due for that sooner or later.

When it comes to overall quality and workmanship of the Mesa Boogie amps, other amps in the same price range just do not stack up. I am sure there are some good brands or amps out there that will hold up to the test of time just as well as the Mark III.

Since 1989, I was a Boogie believer, and from that point onward, no more Fender or Marshall amps for me. Used to have a Fender Deluxe Reverb then a Marshall MOSFET 100. Neither of them was suitable for band use. The Marshall would just get swamped out in the mix. The Fender was only 22W so that was a no go. The Mark III was a godsend amp that delivered the goods and was easy to keep up or stay on top of the drums and bass. That was long ago. Now I have other Boogies that I have picked that have their own characteristic flavors and gooeyness to them. Some that are dry and crips, to one or two that are spongy to the core. Once in a blue moon, we can pick a bad boogie, may just not have a suitable flavor to our liking. Sometimes a simple boogie can be better than a complex and layered one. I am referencing the character of the amp's gain and tone and not something else here.

Back