New to amplifiers. Considering Mark IV, or DC-5, or....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, their website can be pretty weird to navigate. You can go to their used section..then that right hand column you can choose brand..just use 'mesa boogie' because the model names never seem to come up in the search at all... then choose amps (obviously)...then 'national search' option, along with how many miles to check within..I usually do something astronomical like 4,000..haha...then you should come up with a whole slew of Boogie amps.

GC doesn't usually like to ship their amps to the other stores because they want to make the sale themselves. But if it works out, good deal. We'll get ya to find one one way or another. :D

Man I was so close to snagging a Mark IV combo that was damaged in shipping (just the cab) for $500... he was going to ship it today and then a local guy offering $600 cash swooped in and ruined my day...

Oy.

unklejman said:
Man I was so close to snagging a Mark IV combo that was damaged in shipping (just the cab) for $500... he was going to ship it today and then a local guy offering $600 cash swooped in and ruined my day...

Oy.

Oy indead. That would have been a killer deal for you. I see used empty cabinets from time to time.

Yeah... oh well.

Would it bet better to buy a DC-5 that has barely been used. Or one that has been used a lot, but serviced regularly?

Well, I went with the hardly used amp because it is a B model. I should have a DC-5 combo at my door by Monday or Tuesday. Woohoo!

In the mean time I'm researching isolation cabs. Any one have experience with them? Certain brands better than others?

unklejman said:
Well, I went with the hardly used amp because it is a B model. I should have a DC-5 combo at my door by Monday or Tuesday. Woohoo!

In the mean time I'm researching isolation cabs. Any one have experience with them? Certain brands better than others?

If it hasn't been used much you might want to check the filter caps as they can dry out when the amp has been sitting for long periods of time.
Might just be best to have them changed anyway, as this is an older amp and they usually need to be changed every 10-15 yrs.

Is there a part list available so I can find out what caps I need? My dad builds/repairs amps for a hobby/side job so I'll probably get him to do it for me.

unklejman said:
Is there a part list available so I can find out what caps I need? My dad builds/repairs amps for a hobby/side job so I'll probably get him to do it for me.

If you want I can email you the schematic for the amp. Just PM me. I can also give you the easy mod for the effects loop to make it serial. If you don't use an effects loop then you probably don't care.

MJ Slaughter said:
unklejman said:

If you want I can email you the schematic for the amp. Just PM me. I can also give you the easy mod for the effects loop to make it serial. If you don't use an effects loop then you probably don't care.

Well, I've never used an amp before so I don't have anything effects-wise right now. However in the future if I do some live playing, I might want to do it.

I am however interested in the master volume mod.

I just found a schematic here:
http://www.schematicsunlimited.com/download.php?manu=mesa-boogie&file=mesa-boogie-dual-caliber-dc-5-schematic.pdf&wc=true

It has a mesa/boogie logo on the first page, although don't know if it is official.

I own the Mark V and the DC-5. I don't believe the version 1 and 2 amps is accurate. I think that Mesa sent the amps with 2 different switches. A one and two button, respectively. I have the 1 button switch, but I believe the socket is ring-tip-sleeve (a stereo jack).

I'll check mine later.

The DC-5's cleans are voiced from the Mark series and the Distortion is the recto voicing.

Hope it helps.

udertyrat said:
I own the Mark V and the DC-5. I don't believe the version 1 and 2 amps is accurate. I think that Mesa sent the amps with 2 different switches. A one and two button, respectively. I have the 1 button switch, but I believe the socket is ring-tip-sleeve (a stereo jack).

I'll check mine later.

The DC-5's cleans are voiced from the Mark series and the Distortion is the recto voicing.

Hope it helps.

I think the main visual difference is a white rounded box around the eq toggle. The schematics I downloaded has a separate set for the B. I'm not very familiar with schematics, so I'm not sure exactly what the differences are.

Anyway, I've decided on the DC-5 so I can afford other gear to go with it, instead of just the amp. I'll probably eventually get a mark V in the future, but I'm sure I'll enjoy the DC-5 for a while.

Did some research after I posted earlier today and I was wrong. There are 2 versions. I just thought they were the same amp with different on/off and standby switches.

Mine is the B I guess. It has metal switches and I believe there is a stereo jack for the footswitch. I got a single button switch with the amp though.

It's on the classifieds. Take a look before I put it in a head cab...

It came! I haven't had time to turn it on yet. I'll get to do that tonight.

dc5.jpg

Latest posts

Back