new roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scruffydoo

Reaction score
So after a long search I finally picked up a new roadster head today, super chuffed, can't wait to explore this amp and hopefully pick up some tips on here from you experienced guys.

:D

domct203 said:
Congrats on the Roadster !!

3 bits of advise....

1)Read the Manual

2)Read the Manual

3)Search the Forum

Good Luck with the amp.

Dom

and 4) get an eq pedal for the loop as it seems thats been pretty satisfying for many board folks here including me.... welcome to the club

Absolutely get an eq for the loop. I had to figure that out for myself and almost gave up on my road king in the process. Now I LOVE it. What cab do you have for the head?

metal190 said:
Absolutely get an eq for the loop. I had to figure that out for myself and almost gave up on my road king in the process. Now I LOVE it. What cab do you have for the head?

I haven't checked out the EQ in the loop threads yet, i'll have a mooch around, I have a boss GE7 and a rack EQ if needed but so far it sounds pretty **** fabulous as is.

Im using a marshall vintage modern 425A cab just now it has slightly tweaked greenbacks and sounds superb, easily my fave cab so far. I'm also on the prowl for a used mesa 4 x 12, there just silly money new in the UK though, any particular mesa cab I should look out for ?

Depends on how loud you want / need it. They have specific roadster and road king cabs, but I don't think I know anyone who needs the additional "perks" those cabs offer (and this is coming from someone who loves the perks of the Road King head). Anyway, obviously the recto cabs are a massive hit with pretty much everyone.

A Mesa 3/4 back 1x12 w/ a V30 is the bee's knees!

Congrats on the amp. If I were a professional musician I would have kept my Roadster I had a while back...

thanks guys,

Im keen to try it with any V30 cab as I've never tried these speakers with any amp, I am leaning more towards a recto 4 x 12 though as there not much more dosh than a 2 x 12 and seem more readily available used.

As a kid I always craved a half stack. I bought my first half stack in college and quickly found that it was great when we could really practice loud or play a gig. But in the bedroom it actually was worse cause it was so loud I had to turn the amp way down. So while the allure of more speakers for so little extra money is great, make sure to remember any volume constraints (unless you're lucky enough to not have any).

congrats on the amp you will love it. def chk out the manual lots of great stuff in there about your new amp.

The Roadster is awesome...

I have had quite a few Mesa's in the last 5 years and the Roadster is by far the best of the bunch... and all the others were great!

I havent owned a bad Mesa yet! Just different ones.

scruffydoo said:
metal190 said:

I haven't checked out the EQ in the loop threads yet, i'll have a mooch around, I have a boss GE7 and a rack EQ if needed but so far it sounds pretty **** fabulous as is.

Im using a marshall vintage modern 425A cab just now it has slightly tweaked greenbacks and sounds superb, easily my fave cab so far. I'm also on the prowl for a used mesa 4 x 12, there just silly money new in the UK though, any particular mesa cab I should look out for ?

definitely check out the eq in the loop one of these days.... and since you already have two its an experiemnt not an investment

scruffydoo said:
metal190 said:

If you think it sounds great now wait until you try an eq in the loop. I would suggest purchasing some depends as you just might soil yourself when you hear how awesome it sounds when you scoop out some of the 200 range. This helps tremendously in giving your tone a focused and articulate bass response and puts and end any inherent flabbiness.

giantstepjoe said:
scruffydoo said:
metal190 said:

If you think it sounds great now wait until you try an eq in the loop. I would suggest purchasing some depends as you just might soil yourself when you hear how awesome it sounds when you scoop out some of the 200 range. This helps tremendously in giving your tone a focused and articulate bass response and puts and end any inherent flabbiness.

amen brother..... i dont wnat to threadjack but do you think they have this concensus about eqs in the loop in other amp forums?? other than say VHTs i cnat think of other amp manufacterers that have post eqs built in.... i cant imagine this being a hidden secret that only the boogie board members know of .... or is it?? 8)

Hi,

Just a querie on the EQ in the FX loop- I have a Roadster head and Im not getting the low end I was looking for (or like I used to get on the Rectoverb) - im using the closed back 2x12 Roadster cab yet not getting the best results- do I need a openback cab with a c90 speaker? Will the equilizer help achieve this with my current setup?

Also, what type of equilizer would you recommend and what configuration - the 'V' ?

Thanks in advance

Gaz

Honestly I haven't checked out any other amp forums so I don't know if the post pre-amp eq is a common tone sculpting solution for other amps or not. If the results are as good as with the Roadster I imagine that users of other amps are doing the same. Maybe not though; I don't really know. The fact that this is so common among Mesa users might just be a function of the personality of most Mesa owners. We buy them for one reason; because we are tone chasers and of every amp out there they get the closest to the tones we imagine in our head. With the addition of the eq and a little tweaking(also with the help of a ts-9 here and there) I'm happy to say that my grail tone is fully realized.-For now.

Here is a great amp/speaker combination. The oversize 4x12 and a 2x12 is the best of both worlds. It took me a while to put it all together, but now it sounds awsome. I run my amps in stereo from a boss pedal.

000_00233.jpg

garylowe4 said:
Hi,

Just a querie on the EQ in the FX loop- I have a Roadster head and Im not getting the low end I was looking for (or like I used to get on the Rectoverb) - im using the closed back 2x12 Roadster cab yet not getting the best results- do I need a openback cab with a c90 speaker? Will the equilizer help achieve this with my current setup?

Also, what type of equilizer would you recommend and what configuration - the 'V' ?

Thanks in advance

Gaz

well what kind of low end are you going for? none the less an eq i think can get you just about anything you want (more bass, tight bass, loose bass, etc.) because it serves as the final sculpting tool before your signal hits the power amp..... also i would consider adding a 2x12 cab that is voiced tighter (vht, basson, stiletto)..... the roadster cab from what ive gathered is voiced a little looser to give the clean channels a little more of the lone star feel without having to be an open back..... if you add another cab that is voiced tighter (i use the basson and it works wonders on my low end) the combination will let your cleans breathe yet keep that low end big and tight.... but i would start with the eq before anything else.... its a must with a recto IMO

Latest posts

Back