New Roadster - first impressions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredster

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I just went in to check out a Mark IV, honest. But they actually had a new Roadster head sittin' there. It had been on the floor about a week and after checking it out for an hour it followed me home:

roadstersmall.jpg

My fingers are raw from playing two days straight so I though I'd take a break and share this with a group that understands :). After I get it dialed in some more I'll do this again with some clips if anyone's interested. I'm sure my opinions will change after I get some time with this beastie, but..

So far, wow! The cleans are awesome and the distortion covers the entire range of light break up to killing small animals. Compared to a Dual Rec or Rectoverb, the tone controls seem easier to dial in somehow. I can get much better crunch with single coils - something I had a hard time with my Dual. Everything seems much smoother. There is a lot of bass in this head, especially the Fat modes. Could be my cab - a 2x12 Recto. Brit mode rocks the AC/DC, even with 6L6's! Channel 3 Vintage mode can absolutely kill with a Tele or Strat and does my BurstBuckers proud. Of course the typical recto wall o'crush is still there and that's a good thing.

The only thing so far that hasn't thrilled me is the reverb. It's usable for sure, but if I could I'd drop some mids, boost some highs and make it a bit shorter. There's no Bright/Warm switch like on the Lonestar. Ah well, maybe I'm just too picky. It is growing on me though, I'll give it some time before doing something about it.

Anyway, I'm in amp heaven. Even my wife likes this one! It's almost like they made it just for me :D
froadster.jpg

Man that thing sounds sweet. I'd like the chance to play one of those soon. The one thing that i do not like about the the head is that the diamond plating doesn't go all the way up to the top. I don't like that half DP/half vinyl faceplate. But, that's just my own preference and by no means am i knocking your amp my friend, if it sounds awesome.....haha Considering it's a Mesa it's gonna sound AWESOME, then looks can take a back seat. Congrats on the new amp my friend. Rock on! \m/

-AJH

It sounds like a great amp!!! Congratulations!!! How's the effects loop on it? Any idea what it weighs? Are the dimensions the same as a Road King?

Enjoy!!!

Thanks guys, I knew you'd understand. :D

MesaENGR412, I agree,. I'm not partial to the diamond plate myself, but this is subtle enough to work.

Brewski, it looks to be about 10 1/2x25 1/2x 11 which makes it about the same hight and width as a DR, but as deep as a RK. Don't know about the weight, probably close to a DR. Haven't used the fx loop yet. There's only one, and it's channel assignable and foot switchable. Nice!

I've gotta get some clips up soon....!

Cool, the dealer I bought my Road King II from just got one and looks beautiful. So does the new Stiletto Ace.

I've been dying to get my paws on a Roadster! I've called the 3 Mesa dealers in Colorado and none of them have got one in yet (or even a RKII). I want a Roadster in the worst way!

MesaENGR412 said:
The one thing that i do not like about the the head is that the diamond plating doesn't go all the way up to the top. I don't like that half DP/half vinyl faceplate.

I too was a little disapointed when I saw the front panel on the Roadster for the first time at the NAMM show a few months ago. I'm thinking of custom ordering one with a full black diamond plate front and a chrome grill (if they can do that). Does it have a grill on top of the head??? They are not cheap amps though so I might have to stick it out with the stock look.

Yeah, sound clips would be sweet! I might bight the bullet and order a Roadster before I play one (since I can't seem to track one down) so a couple sound clips would help my cause.

Congrats Fredster!!!

GREAT!!!! I cant wait until mine comes in!!!

can you please tell us more??? and do you have more and bigger pictures??? it looks kinda green on the pic.. it this right???

thank you!

Nocki

I happened to stop by the local Mesa Dealer today and they just got a Roadster 2x12 in. I got to fiddle with it a for a few minutes. It definitely has nice cleans. The jury is still out on channels 3 and 4, I didn't get to crank it, but it seemed a little more nasal sounding than my series 1 RK head. It could also be that I play into an open back 2x12 that makes a difference. The reverb seemed to be similar to what I already have, but again, I was playing it pretty softy, so you don't get a true picture unless you open it up, like it's supposed to be.

It is a nice amp. The controls are laid out well, and if your used to an RK, this is a cinch. The black diamond plate isn't quite as funny looking with the combo. The weight was just a little heavier than the LSC. Neither is a "light" amp, although I could pick it up. It does seem a bit lighter than an RK combo, though.

GIG, yes it has the grill on top - brushed metal just like a DR or RK. I'll definately get some clips up this weekend!

Nocki - it's standard Mesa black, my camera's flash seems to make everything look like a crime scene. Hehe...

Played with the fx loop tonight - pretty easy to work with. I have an old Quadraverb Plus to play around with - if I decide to get more into the fx thing I'll probably get a GMajor or something. You can turn the loop on or off via the footswitch or make it always on for a specific channel via that channel's fx switch in the back.

BTW - the tuner/mute on the footswitch doesn't work right unless the loop is on. I missed that one, but it is in the manual.

I'll get some more pics up soon!

Could you make one pic of the pedal and put meassures on it? I have to make a pedalboard for it but the Roadster isnt available yet in holland.

Thanks.

shack said:
Is the loop on it series or parallel?

I think it is series (same on the RK II).

Fredster, have you noticed any delay switching between channels (like on the Rectoverbs) or any popping when you switch between channels (like on the dual and triple recto's)? Those are problems I've had with both of my Boogies. Hopefully they have resolved those issues by now.

Nocki said:
Could you make one pic of the pedal and put meassures on it? I have to make a pedalboard for it but the Roadster isnt available yet in holland.

Here you go!
rdfootswitch.jpg

It's 21in long and about 4 3/4in deep.

shack, it's definately a serial loop.

GIG, there's no real delay in channel switching - maybe a few milliseconds. The switching does pop a bit when I first turn it on, but after a few stomps it stops popping. That's what my DR does too.

I was playing with a compressor in the fx loop tonight - a Yamaha rackmount something or other. Really evens out the cleans! Man, this thing gets better and better!

Yeah yeah yeah, how about some clips? :p

Could you tell us a bit about the tuner on the Roadster?

A Tuner out :shock:

I would kill for one of those on my dual recto....

How much do these sell for new again? Is the roadster the only mesa guitar amp that has this? After looking, it seems that the roadking doesn't.....

fredster said:
GIG, there's no real delay in channel switching - maybe a few milliseconds. The switching does pop a bit when I first turn it on, but after a few stomps it stops popping. That's what my DR does too.

Yeah, same with my Dual Rec. I'd rather have the popping just when you turn it on, rather than the delay when I switch channels like on my Rectoverb.

I guess that makes sense, at the NAMM show the guys from Mesa told me the Roadster is just basically the preamp section from a RK II, and the power amp section of a Dual Rec.

Have you messed around much with the 50/100 watt settings on the different channels?

I found out a store in northern Colorado has the Roadster head in stock. It might be time for a road trip.... :wink:

ibanez4life SZ! said:
How much do these sell for new again? Is the roadster the only mesa guitar amp that has this? After looking, it seems that the roadking doesn't.....

$1899, a mere 2 bills more than a DR. Oooo tempting eh? :) I haven't seen a tuner out on anything else either.

G.I.G. said:
Have you messed around much with the 50/100 watt settings on the different channels?
I found out a store in northern Colorado has the Roadster head in stock. It might be time for a road trip.... :wink:

I'm not currently gigging (or even in a band) so I play at very low volumes (except when I get the house to myself... :twisted:). So yeah, I put everything to 50w just to shave off a decibel or three. I do run channel one clean at 100w though, just 'cuz it's a lot quieter than the other channels. I mean I have to turn the master up on it to balance out with the other channels so the 100w there helps. I'm certainly not running into any power tube breakup or anything. If you're on the fence, I'd make the trip and check it out! Make sure you've got room in the car to bring one back though...

Nocki said:
Great!!! thank you very very very very very very very much!

You are very welcome!

****, and I just bought a road case for my DR.

What are the dimensions on the head? I'm GASSING pretty bad.

Latest posts

Back