New PRS SC250

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G.I.G.

Reaction score
I got this just over a month ago and it's probably time I posted some pics! It only took 3 months to get from the time I ordered it (which is extremely good considering PRS' backlog on orders and it's a new model). For those of you who don't know much about the new Singlecuts, this is basically the same guitar but with the locking tuners, adjustable stoptail, and hotter pups....WAY HOT! This thing sounds killer if you like hard-rock/metal. The pups work great with the thick mahogany body. It's light and resonant. It plays great! Anyway, here are a few pics.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

Russ said:
That's pretty. How's it sound?

It sounds great! I play in a hard-rock cover band and it is perfect for what we play. Lot's of definition and sustain. The pups are probably the hottest passive pups I've played. They have the cut, clarity, and high output of an active, but without some of the harshness that you sometimes get with actives. The thick mahogany neck and back provide the right amount of warmth though. It's a great combo!

From your description, sounds like it would be simliar to a LP Classic?

Russ said:
From your description, sounds like it would be simliar to a LP Classic?

I'm not familiar enough with LP's to give an accurate comparison but I did try out a few LP Classics before I bought this.

I think the Classics have the Burstbucker pickups if I'm not mistaken. I wasn't a big fan of those pups when I was playing it through a Triple Recto at the store. I thought it was on the muddy side. Definitely more geared towards a Marshall application IMO. I think the SC250 pups are definitely clearer and hotter than the Burstbuckers.

The older classics came with a 496/500 set. Those rocked... I hate burstbuckers.

I know the guys at BaM have been drooling over these for a little while now, they do look **** nice (y)

Nice guitar G.I.G.!! Apparently I should have ordered one of those instead!! Sounds like they're too busy building their new line and not busy enough trying to take care of old (and I mean OLD) orders!

Machine Gun said:
Nice guitar G.I.G.!! Apparently I should have ordered one of those instead!! Sounds like they're too busy building their new line and not busy enough trying to take care of old (and I mean OLD) orders!

If you ordered your artist package with quilt, that's the reason. PRS does not take new orders for artist quilt due to supply issues. They are keeping the good pieces for private stock now because it is so hard to come by.

Even though I only waited 3 months for my SC250, I don't know if I would order one again. I only did it because it was a new model and I would have waited that long before I saw them hit the street anyway. There is enough dealer stock out there of PRS that next time I would just look to see what's out there.

At least you'll know that you will be one of the last people to get quilt on an artist grade top. :D

I was lucky to score this Artist Quilt package when I did.

PRS-06SnglCtAtstQltTrtsShll.jpg

I love this guitar!

G.I.G. and Finnster - very nice guitars!

I have a goldtop McCarty from 1998 so I didn't have an option of looking at a Singlecut. It would have been interesting to have to choose between a McCarty and a Singlecut, especially with the new SC 250 and 245 in the product mix from PRS.

Options, options, options... :D

I wanna play :D

My 20th Anniversary '06 Singlecut

DSC05663.jpg

I'm gonna be honest here....I can't get to liking the SC250's...they must play and sound amazing, but when I look at them, mostly because of the uncovered pups, it looks too much like a Singlecut SE to me :(

Back