New owner of a Studio Pre

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubes Rock!

Reaction score
Yo,

I've been a lurker for a long time, but last week, I landed a deal on ebay to grab a Studio Pre. I've failed 5 times on bids since I wasn't going to pay more than $500 ducks. Got one in really good condition for $475.

The serial number is really low, SP446. I'm not sure if it is actually within the first 500 made, but i would assume going by the serial number. Either way, this think fuckin ROCKS!

Couple questions:
Is there a way to use some sort of midi footcontroller to switch between my Studio Pre dirty channel and use my Peavey Valve King's clean channel? Right now, I'm using the Pre's signal output to the return of my 100W head. I have an A/B footswitch that will change the channels of the preamp, however, I really love the clean channel of the Amp. What would i need to do to acomplish this? I'm assuming some sort of Midi Matrix that will allow me to map the Studio Pre and the Peavey amp.

2nd, question. Going by this same methodology, I am going to pick up a Mesa Formula preamp for cleans. I would like to get some type of pre amp selector to allow me to switch. What do you recommend?

TIA,
Jason

Can't you just run"A" to the front of your amp and "B" to the studio input? :oops: Sorry, I didn't get what you were driving at w/midi. Seems there must be some midi device you could use.

Fxrs said:
Can't you just run"A" to the front of your amp and "B" to the studio input? :oops: Sorry, I didn't get what you were driving at w/midi. Seems there must be some midi device you could use.
thanks for the quick reply. I have a footswitch that works with either the amp, changes the two channels, e.g. clean/dirty. The same footswitch works with the Studio Pre. Plugged that into the footswitch jack. Again, that changes just the preamps dirty/clean channels.

What i'm after is a way to switch the preamps dirty channel with the Peavey amps' clean channel. I've tried to plug the Studio pre directly to the amps input however the sound result isn't quite the same. using the preamps output direclty into the power amps return seems to be most optimal regarding sound.

Maybe I'm missing something. I've read the Studio Pre's manual several times however, they don't cover this scenario.

Would anyone know how I could get around using the Studio preamp vs the Clean on my Valveking?

I know that it's a strange request. I'm sure though that it's not the first time this type of scenario came up. If I need a footswitch, that fine, but need some advice of which model, etc.

Basically, I have a 100watt head that I love the clean channel through. The Mesa Studio Pre is what I'm plugged into, and using output A, directly into the Return of my valveking. Now, what happens is this bypasses the preamp stage of the Poweramp.

I would like to have the ability to use the Studio pre and my dirty channel, and switch back to my Valveking head for the clean, re-enabling the preamp, bypassing the Studio Pre in this mode.

If there is another recommended chain that I could acomplish this, please share. Lastly, would a midi footcontroller work for this situation? Which models are good for the money. I don't need a fancy $800 midi switch, but something basic would be fine...

If I had a power amp for the Studio Pre, I could simply hook up an A/B amp switch and have them run on their own, however, if I made myself clear about this configuration, I only have one Power Amp and one Preamp.

Simply stated, I love the lead mode on the Studio Pre, and love the clean mode on the Valveking, but if the pre is plugged into the effects return, then the poweramps preamp stage is bypassed...

Help! :)

I have found what I'm looking to do. There is another thead here on the forums that have assisted with my quest. I would just need a G-Major switcher or something like it to be able to accomplish what I need..

Anyone know of a more affordable method of what the Gmajor does?

Problem is, I don't believe the loop on the VK is switchable, and I believe that if you have a plug in the loop return jack, the circuit is mechanically bypassing your VK preamp. Short of having the VK modded to have a switchable effects loop or having somebody physically plug your Studio Pre into the return when you want to use it, I don't think it's possible.

If you must use your VK's clean channel, you'll need to get a separate power section for the Studio Pre and an amp switcher such as a Tonebone Headbone (the switcher must have a dummy load for whichever amp isn't currently being routed to the speaker), and switch between the two. That also gives you the option of using the Studio Pre's rhythm mode, or the VK's lead mode. Personally, I'd try and make friends with the Studio Pre's clean tone, because it's quite nice (I've tried a VK 1x12 combo and its cleans were pretty nice too).

Thank you very much, this information was helpful. I also do not believe that the valveking's loop is switchable. This was my dilema all along. I do like the Studio Pre's ultra lead gain, which will affect the cleans. This was my main concern for just switching back to the VK for it's creamy cleans. Will still look at more options..

Perhaps a Mesa Power amp is in the near future.... :)

Back