New Mesa-New Member

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coop138

Reaction score
I have been trolling the forums for a while so I figured it was time to show myself. I have been through a lot of amps and finally decided to try out a Mesa to hopefully end my never ending $$ quest for tone. Just sold a Framus dragon for something a little different. I have always had a thing for the Mark IV but never had the chance to try one out. I just scored a 1992 Mesa Mark IV "A" that is in shipment right now so I am sure you will see me kicking around.

I play everything from SRV, Pink Floyd, to Lamb of God, Death, Necrophagist, At the gates, and pretty much everything in between. I am hoping this new purchase will do it all. Pic story to follow when it arrives.

Hi!

John

I forgot to ask. I jumped the gun when I made this purchase and bought a 212 Orange cab which is 16 Ohms not realizing the Mark IV is 2X4 ohm and 1X8. I have done a lot of research and it has been deemed safe to run it with the 16OHM cab but I thought I would ask if any of you have experience with this. I know I will lose a little volume but what about tone? No explosions?

This amp is in amazing shape for a 1992 and I want to keep it that way both internal and external.

Teasing Pics sent to me as I do not have the amp yet. Shell was replaced as there was a tear in the tolex.

newpics079sz1.jpg

newpics078fh0.jpg

STOKED!

I'll bet the speakers are eight ohms each, wired in series.
The cab could be re-wired in parallel to four ohms.

Yeah dude you are right about the speakers. Not that it is a huge deal I would like to keep the cab stock. I took the screws out to check and the back is on very tight and I would like to refrain from prying it and scratching or tearing the tolex. Worst case scenario I could grab a Z-Matcher from Weber to match the impedence. I was just wondering if anyone has run it as is, 8 Ohm -> 16 Ohm. I don't mind losing a little volume if that is the only downside. Hell it would let me push my power section a little harder.

I am pretty stoked to try this amp. The only thing holding me back from getting one before was not being sold on it doing modern metal tones well but I have since been sold on it after listening to countless clips on here, Netmusicians, soundclick etc.

Stoked to try my first Mesa. Almost bought a Roadster a few months ago but I have always wanted the Mark IV just a little more. I found the Roadster and my Framus a little loose for my liking. From what I hear the Mark IV should be plenty brutal with my Bloody Murder OD (Modded TS-808)

Congrats.

The amps has gotten a new headshell somewhere in it's life btw. It has a classic 'A' frontplate, but the headshell is from a medium head. Probably an F50 looking at the logo.

Maybe a converted combo.

I don't think it was a converted combo. They guy I am buying it from let me know that he replaced the shell as the other one had a few battle wounds. I asked him about the mesa engineering logo and he told me he ordered it that way because he liked it. Do you think this will effect re-sale value much? I think I got it for a pretty good price.

Back