New member says Hello and has a question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frillylizzard

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been lurking here for years and finally decided to join..

I own a Markiv and love it,though im just a bedroom basher.. i would like to ask a few questions if i may.I bought the preamp kit from Dougs last year.and finally changed them in,and noticed with the TUNGSOL in V1 the lead channel lost a lot of gain..i swapped,tubes around and all is good with PentaV1,TungSolV2,JJV3,SHuangV4,and,SOVTEK in V5.actually,sounds really articulate at least at bedroom volumes..I am just wondering why the Tungsol,is most recommended in V1 and is this normal to lose gain at low volume,seeings how i dont really push it that hard.

also,id like to change power tubes and see from many posts here have the winged C as very popular will these work withn bias range for markiv. The kind of tone iam after is Richie Kotzen electric joy.but not sure what is the best options to go for regarding this..

THanks for reading this.

Hey, Welcome! I don't have a mark IV, but I have tung sols in my 2:90 and V1 of my mark amp. seems like the distortion is tamed just a bit. Getting a bedroom level highly distorted sound isn't so easy, but the tone is great. When the master vol is past 2 it sounds nice and heavy, but getting a bit loud... hehe. I was thinking of getting a stomp box like the Triple Wreck to be able to have a rectifier like tone as well as heavy distortion at low volumes.

I have heard great things about SED =C= ... will you use EL 34's or 6L6?

scott

Hey Scott,
thanks for your reply and welcome.Yeah,i noticed it sounds beautiful louder but the neighbours wouldnt appreciate it haha really sweet..I have a Mod DS1 and tubescreamer as a boost sounds so rich and saturated.

Yeah id use el34 6l6 combo i have JJ at them moment and whilst i like them,they are getting old,and its time for replacements..

Thanks again,and best of luck with your playing.

Regards
James

Latest posts

Back