New member from Htown; new (to me) Tremoverb on the way!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carmona

Reaction score
So I’m not exactly sure what happened, because I thought I had already made this post… I’m from Houston. I try to keep my tastes eclectic. I’ve been after a Tremoverb head and 2x12 since my college days in the 90s. I like heavy tones, sparkling clean tones, sludgy tones, glassy tones. I have a Roland JC60 and a JCM800 with scratchy pots. A bunch of epiphones.. I love SG’s… ska, reggae, alternative 90’s guitar rock, classic rock, post punk, shoegaze, hard bop, classic country, 80’s pop I mean there’s really room in my heart for all of it..

Correct me if I’m wrong guys but the TOV definitely always seemed like the best one. (I’m just poking the bear with that one y’all) The ad even said so. But I often hear of complaints about the trem and the verb… but at its heart it’s a rectifier, is it not? Tell me yalls thoughts.. that 2x12 is LOUD.

Thought I would reply to see if there was a problem from before. I uploaded pics and everything.

Hey @carmona , welcome!

Tverb is a great amp, most days I think mine's going in the ground with me. It's probably the most versatile Recto except for the MWDR. Based on what you've said you're into, you won't be disappointed, 90s alt rock in a box plus so much more. Really does the full spectrum of gain and has a lot of tonal options within that, you can go from sparkly cleans to alt and country jangle to aggressive post-punky mids to Soundgarden/Tool without pedals (though having a TS-type boost and a clean boost with an EQ will give you even more options.)

Other great thing about the Tverb, like pretty much any Recto, is that you can ignore speaker/cab choice and just stick with V30s.

Biggest change of thinking you're gonna need from that JCM800 is that the knobs on the Tverb all do stuff, a lot of stuff, all the way through the range, and they interact with each other. You can get a lot more tones out of the Tverb but it takes some learning.

Thing to remember is that it was designed and built for pros, like, thirty years ago. It is impractically heavy. It's very loud and doesn't sound its best until your neighbours can hear it. It can be picky about tubes in a way modern amps aren't. Dialing in two higher-gain tones (one on each channel) is hard, because that wasn't a use case they were designing for. The loop and the reverb are as good as any true channel-switcher from the era, sooo... you know, they sound okay for live. And the tremolo is a nice effect though it's not intended to knock classic Fenders off their perch.

Yeah I have read of people getting frustrated saying it sounds like “****” after all. I also read that sometimes at certain settings or volumes other settings are more sensitive and react off each other… but I think you were making that point already… can’t wait!

I’m thinking about getting a brown box for these three as well. I have a 70’s jc60 and an 87 jcm800.. this will be my 90’s tov ands maybe it’ll save some tube life.

I think the frustration some people get with the tverb is that they don't realize that you have to turn it up seriously loud for good higher gain sounds. If you want to chug, the orange channel master needs to be 11:30 at least and/or red channel master needs to be at 9 (neither of them get louder after that, they just start to compress) and forget about using the loop master. That's way past basement loud.

Latest posts

Back