New Mark V's vs. Older Mark V's: Why the Cage?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightywarlock

Reaction score
So i just got my mark V the other day, and on the back of my amp, I have the typical Mesa Metal Strip blocking the amp back's contents.
However I've seen in some recent pictures posted on here that is now gone and they just place a cage around the tubes.

why??

and why only the tubes?

they aren't afraid of anyone touching the transformers??

I don't get it...

To my knowledge there is no difference between the earlier models and the new 2010 ones with the cage around the power tubes. Its purely a cosmetic change that protects the tubes better than the bar. All 2010 Rectifiers also come with these now as well.

I think the bar was outdated. Made it too difficult to get to the power cord connection point, no tube changes without unscrewing something and not much protection from smaller stuff.

I think the cage is just to satisfy some dumb health and safety rule, mine lasted about ten minutes when I got the amp! :lol:

so basically, they want to make sure that the amp/tubes doesn't get hurt or tubes don't burn anyone, at the expense of some idiot who may touch the transformers that are now exposed?

seems odd.

I think it was also for people who like to store the footswitch in the back of the amp. Instead of having the unscrew the bar, you can just unclip the cage. I think it's great and it looks better as well.

It's totally for consumer safety.
Big Brother wants to prevent all those fatalities from those pesky exploding 6L6s.
Wait until they find out about Lamps Plus and all those :!: Completely Exposed Naked Light Bulbs :!:
It's For Your Own Good. Shut Up And Eat Your Vegetables. :lol:

i forgot what thread it was. someone was also saying cause it's for import laws if shipped to eu, etc.

i have had 0 problems with this amp whatsoever since i got it even though i had the older bar-type back. i live in the sf bay area and have been to mesa personally, but ironically this amp came from an ebay purchase out of state.

anyway, as cool as the hardwood shell is for my "head", i kinda wish i had the cage version...

mejoshee said:
i forgot what thread it was. someone was also saying cause it's for import laws if shipped to eu, etc.

i have had 0 problems with this amp whatsoever since i got it even though i had the older bar-type back. i live in the sf bay area and have been to mesa personally, but ironically this amp came from an ebay purchase out of state.

anyway, as cool as the hardwood shell is for my "head", i kinda wish i had the cage version...

I said that initially but was talking out of my butt; I asked my Mesa rep and he told me it was completely a UL regulation.

phyrexia said:
mejoshee said:

I said that initially but was talking out of my butt; I asked my Mesa rep and he told me it was completely a UL regulation.
k cool. i guess they're trying to be a respectable company (not that they weren't already)...

companies are made to do weird things. it's funny how the government is always looking out for the stupid people...

magh8 said:
i haven't seen this yet any pics????
regular bar back:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-V-Guitar-Amplifier-Mark-5-/260604504855?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cad3d2b17

cage back:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-V-/180509888726?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a073a50d6

:mrgreen:

It's so lame that they didn't make this footswitchable, the tone is completely different with the bar on the back! :lol:

mejoshee said:
magh8 said:
i haven't seen this yet any pics????
regular bar back:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-V-Guitar-Amplifier-Mark-5-/260604504855?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cad3d2b17

cage back:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-V-/180509888726?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a073a50d6

:mrgreen:

ARGH!!! That wine taurus is killing me! SO awesome. :D

Scary said:
It's so lame that they didn't make this footswitchable, the tone is completely different with the bar on the back! :lol:
dude, you gotta pay extra for that mod. in tequila.

Back