New Mark V owner

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eudaimonia02912

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just picked this up today:

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

Loving it so far, but had much chance to play it. This is my first MB amp, but I've wanted one for a while.

Anyways, I'm just saying hi, and I'm looking forward to learning about this amp from you veterans.

smd24fan said:
Like the BFR too!

Thanks, but alas, it's just a 2008 special edition.

As you might be able to guess, I was after Petrucci's tone.

I wonder if I'm one of the few Mark V guys more excited by the IV mode than the IIC+ mode. The IIC+ mode is nice, but I really loved the liquidy lead tones of the IV, and was thrilled to get an amp with better cleans and good rhythm 2 channel.

I'm still trying lots of different settings, and I recognize that it might take months to dial this in just right, but so far I'm really impressed with how nice Crunch mode is. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is. When I want to do some Guns N Roses or AC/DC, this will get me there.

Welcome to the club! I personally prefer the extreme mode on channel three. It won't take long at all to dial in some great sounds, but it will take months to find all the tones these things have hidden inside.

One thing that surprised me in the first 20 minutes was just how good the crunch mode was. I could get all sorts of GNR and AC/DC tones out of it with little effort. This is one of the reasons I went with the Mark V instead of a IV--I really wanted a good R2 channel, with something different and usable.

eudaimonia02912 said:
One thing that surprised me in the first 20 minutes was just how good the crunch mode was. I could get all sorts of GNR and AC/DC tones out of it with little effort. This is one of the reasons I went with the Mark V instead of a IV--I really wanted a good R2 channel, with something different and usable.

I goofed around with the Edge and Mark I modes a little bit the first week I had the amp, but it has been in Crunch mode ever since then.

eudaimonia02912 said:
smd24fan said:
Like the BFR too!

Thanks, but alas, it's just a 2008 special edition.

As you might be able to guess, I was after Petrucci's tone.

I wonder if I'm one of the few Mark V guys more excited by the IV mode than the IIC+ mode. The IIC+ mode is nice, but I really loved the liquidy lead tones of the IV, and was thrilled to get an amp with better cleans and good rhythm 2 channel.

I'm still trying lots of different settings, and I recognize that it might take months to dial this in just right, but so far I'm really impressed with how nice Crunch mode is. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is. When I want to do some Guns N Roses or AC/DC, this will get me there.

I stand corrected, you'd think I would have caught that owning a JP6 myself! I agree with you, I like the Mark IV mode better than the IIc+ mode. I can't seem to get the IIc+ mode to get the bass response I'm looking for. I was looking for a Mark IV when the V came out, so I just opted to get the "new" Mark V instead. I have no regrets, I love my V more than any other amp I have tried.

Latest posts

Back