New Mark IV Widebody Combo Arrived!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillyred79

Reaction score
Just about everything went well with shipping via UPS, however I think I may be having a reverb issue. With the knob fully turned up I get no reverb whatsoever. Only thing noticeable when I turn the knob up/down there is some louder 'white noise' with the reverb all the way up. I didn't get time to mess with the amp too much since I went to check it out during my lunch break. Any ideas/suggestions as to what the deal is? Bad tube etc?

The first thing I do when I buy a used amp is to replace all the tubes... I'd do it even if the reverb worked. Then you know what you're working with. The second thing (depending on how old the amp is) is to replace the caps and clean interior and potentiometers.

Note that the MKIV reverb is not the greatest and you will do a lot better using a unit like a g major, etc in the effects loop. The reverb is the only thing on a MKIV I don't like.

It's actually brand-freaking new! All the other channels/sounds seem pretty good. I've owned this amp before and know what you're saying about the reverb not being the best. I'll have to do a more thorough check when I get back from work. Looking at the tube schematics from the manual it could be a bad V4B reverb send issue. Any way to know just by looking at it?

Personally, I've given up on the reverb on any MKIV. First thing I do is remove the tank and store it somewhere I can forget about it..... 8)

So, from what I gather.. The reverb tubes send/return are the two little ones next to the tank right? I haven't looked super close yet, but if they are faulty then I assume they wouldn't be lighting up etc? Or are there other symptoms as well?

Make sure the RCA connectors are secure. They could be unplugged from the amp or the tank.

phillyred79 said:
So, from what I gather.. The reverb tubes send/return are the two little ones next to the tank right? I haven't looked super close yet, but if they are faulty then I assume they wouldn't be lighting up etc? Or are there other symptoms as well?

The front row, the the two on the left. They share the lead channel. If they are bad they might not light up, or they will look fine and just not work.

Here is a must read for MK IV owners.

http://mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%204.pdf

MesaDCLP said:
Make sure the RCA connectors are secure. They could be unplugged from the amp or the tank.

That was it exactly! And, my fan wasn't plugged in! All is well now... I think I have been relieved of all this GAS finally...

0705072205qg0.jpg

The Mark IV is the final missing piece of the puzzle. It really rounds out the bottom end bass freqs. with some nice tight 1-2 punch behind the rectifier's looser top end fizzle.

Cool rig! Now you have no excuse for not practicing. :wink:

~trem

trem said:
Cool rig! Now you have no excuse for not practicing. :wink:

~trem

I know, I know!!! Some times we all get a little too caught up in our gear and the search for tone that we forget what it's all about in the first place- PLAYING. So on that note............

Holy crap!! it looks so small in the pic!!! I know it can keep up with the 2x12 head brothers, but it's begging for a lift/cab!!!

MesaDCLP said:
Holy crap!! it looks so small in the pic!!! I know it can keep up with the 2x12 head brothers, but it's begging for a lift/cab!!!

I know right?!! The Orange 2x12 cab is tall to begin with not to mention bright orange! It's funny though because the Mk IV will blow the orange away in the gain department and overall volume when its in 85W mode.. obviously though since the Orange Rockerverb head is only 50W. I love my boogies, but the oranges are just different and nice for a change when I don't want to turn a lot of knobs etc..

You'd practically kill yourself if something went wrong with it, right? So it's a good idea to have a backup, right? So you'll buy mine, right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270142739007

:wink:

visualrocker69 said:
You'd practically kill yourself if something went wrong with it, right? So it's a good idea to have a backup, right? So you'll buy mine, right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270142739007

:wink:

HAHA... You can never have too many amps I suppose! Funny thing is, my combo cost $1500 BRAND NEW so I couldn't justify buying yours for that price, but I'm sure a lot of people here will be tempted!

Latest posts

Back