New Mark IV owner

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hagcel

Reaction score
Hey There,

I'll be picking up a Mark IV after work. I'm pretty excited! I can't wait to play with it.

Now that I'll have two amps....

Can I take the effect send into my TC Gmajor 2 then return the signal stereo, one back to the mark IV and the other to my Marshall 2555 efx return? Or would it need to go to the input of the Marshall 2555? It'd be great if I could just use the marshall as a power amp to preserve the tone of the mark IV as much as possible but I don't know if it is safe to run an amp without an input and I don't know if it is safe to run line level to an amp input.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks!

hagcel said:
Hey There,

I'll be picking up a Mark IV after work. I'm pretty excited! I can't wait to play with it.

Now that I'll have two amps....

Can I take the effect send into my TC Gmajor 2 then return the signal stereo, one back to the mark IV and the other to my Marshall 2555 efx return? Or would it need to go to the input of the Marshall 2555? It'd be great if I could just use the marshall as a power amp to preserve the tone of the mark IV as much as possible but I don't know if it is safe to run an amp without an input and I don't know if it is safe to run line level to an amp input.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks!

Either way will work O think. Try them both - you won't hurt a thing. Just be aware of your gain structure.

Welcome to the mahhhkkk side.

Cool, yeah its working great using just the efx loop in the marshall...

It's a shame to use a marshall for a stereo power amp tho :) Might have to find something else.

I'm loving the clean sounds! Haven't found a good lead channel sound yet tho.

I'm considering changing to 6V6s.

One question...does the amp need to be biased if I change power tubes? It seems crazy to me that I can just pop tubes in and out...haha. I see for 6V6s I need to run it in Tweed and Simul-Class.

hagcel said:

It's a shame to use a marshall for a stereo power amp tho :) Might have to find something else.

One question...does the amp need to be biased if I change power tubes? It seems crazy to me that I can just pop tubes in and out...haha. I see for 6V6s I need to run it in Tweed and Simul-Class.

If you tell any online tube retailer you have a Mesa, they can set you up with tubes within spec. No biasing needed.

With my first Mark IV it was months before I got a lead tone I was happy with. Don't sweat it.

lockbody said:
hagcel said:

If you tell any online tube retailer you have a Mesa, they can set you up with tubes within spec. No biasing needed.

With my first Mark IV it was months before I got a lead tone I was happy with. Don't sweat it.

so true. I hated my Mark IV for the first year. Now .... it will be my spouses (eek eek a spouse!) when I kick it.

6V6 is on my list of future tube rolls.

Still loving channels 1 and 2. I set up Channel 3 from some other user settings and got a great tone with my Les Paul but since I'm mostly playing a Strat through it I've been sucked into 1 and 2 :)

The serial is 007960...So does this put it at almost 2008?

I installed Mesa 6L6s (It had non Mesa 6L6 when I bought it) today and have these goodies on order:

V1 Telefunken
V2 Sylvania Gray Plate
V3 High gain Raytheon Black Plate
V4 High gain Raytheon Black Plate
V5 Sylvania Gray Plate

Can't wait! I have barely touched my Les Paul since I got the Mark IV haha.

Back