New Mark III owner here

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerdude2

Reaction score
Well, I will be on Monday. After being a Bogner XTC owner for a few years, I bought a clean Purple Strip Loaded head, in a flame maple combo cab. I can't wait to get it and put it thru it's paces. I will be trying to run a Bogner Cube as an extention cab, so it should be a fun New Amp Day. Oh yeah, I play hard rock and metal, so feel free to post your settings! 8)

I'm in a similar situation though I never had any Bogner gear. I've got a blue strip head on its way to me ... soon, I hope! Need all the advice and info I can get.

Volume 1 = 7-8
Treble = 6-8 pulled
Bass = 2-3
Middle = 4-7
Master = 2-5 pulled
Lead Drive = 5-8
Lead master = 2-4 pulled
Presence = 0-4
Reverb = however much you like

Start off with a mild "V" pattern on the EQ, if so equipped.

Simulclass, Class-A, 60 or 100 watts will all be fine. The Coliseum Series requres a little different approach.

This should get you guys into the rock and metal tones very easily. You may try pushing in the pots that I have labeled "pulled". Do them one at a time as your guitar and speaker choice may prefer something different. Not to mention your ears. My bass setting may be a bit high for some, but I run through a pair of EV thieles which will not "flub" in the face of bass :twisted:. There is an additional sound to be had by engaging R2 while in the lead mode. Some folks like it, others do not. A good low volume lead channel trick is to turn the Lead master to 0.5-1 and use the Master to creep up on the desired volume. It sounds mean with the master on 5 and the Lead master on 1. But whatever you do, don't hit the footswitch to the clean channel with this setting. If you do, it might require a change of underwear. :lol:

Follow the Capo de capa's suggestion's for starter's and adjust to taste ....
Your are in for some face melting tones .
Enjoy 8)

I have a purple myself. Awesome for hard rock and most metal, and it can get pretty sludgy and thick too, if you want to get some stoner action happening.

Joey B's settings are definitely in the sweet spot, though using a mahogany guitar with humbuckers I rarely have the bass over 1. Presence really affects the whole tone, it seems to suck out lower mids. If it seems 'stiff' or harsh, turn down presence first, then the lead drive, then volume.

I find the power tubes on my purple play a really big part in heavy rhythm tone. In Simul-CLass I think the EL34s start clipping with the master around 3, and the bottom tightens up really well. Not as big a deal on my green stripe.

will try those settings. I'm also going to sell my Bogner head, and pickup a Theile cab to run with my Combo, depending on how the Cube sounds.

Wow... I didn't know there are significant tonal differences between the various stripes. What about the blue stripe? I will be playing it into an EarCandy 2x12 BuzzBomb (w/EarCandy's "GreenMachine" speakers - not to be confused with greenbacks). I have an SG and an LP, as well as single coil strat and tele.

Here are a couple tips:

If the amp sounds too buzzy for you, turn down the Presence to below 2. Turning it up higher will increase the buzz/fizziness.

To get some thick power tube distortion, try setting your graphic EQ very low (well below the midline) and cranking the Master Volume. Tickens everything up nicely.

Enjoy your new amps guys...

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:56 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow... I didn't know there are significant tonal differences between the various stripes. What about the blue stripe? I will be playing it into an EarCandy 2x12 BuzzBomb (w/EarCandy's "GreenMachine" speakers - not to be confused with greenbacks). I have an SG and an LP, as well as single coil strat and tele.

Read this

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html

Used it yesterday for the 1st time at practice. Def. different than the Bogner I just sold, but sounded KILLER and very well balanced. Her first gig is this Sunday. Can't wait! I'm thinking I'll be using a volume pedal for leads, because I love the lead channel for my crunch!

bikerdude2 said:
Used it yesterday for the 1st time at practice. Def. different than the Bogner I just sold, but sounded KILLER and very well balanced. Her first gig is this Sunday. Can't wait! I'm thinking I'll be using a volume pedal for leads, because I love the lead channel for my crunch!

Congrats. Long time MK user here, got my 1st back in '81 and still have a MKIII Coliseum Simul-Class, that I got new in'86. I LOVE my Boogie, and hope yours brings you as much enjoyment as mine has brought me.

stuff010.jpg

stuff016.jpg

1gear.jpg

boogie1x12001.jpg

Latest posts

Back