New Mark III member -blue stripe with high serial number

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike1956

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got my first Mark III. It is a blue stripe, GEQ, reverb, 60 watts only. The serial number is 27823 and the date in red marker on the chassis is 2/93. Seems like a high number from what I have read. Any thoughts?

I've got a Lonestar Special that I love, but in the very short time I've had to play with this MArk III I am amzed at the sound. I love it.

Thanks

Mike

Congrats on your blue stripe!! My personal opinion is that the blue stripes were the most aggressive of all the Mark IIIs, and that they have a low end that rivaled the low end of the Rectiifers!

I don't think I've ever seen a Blue Stripe that late! Both of my Blues are from the summer of 1988. I have seen some "teal stripes" of green stripes that faded to look like a blue stripe, so I wonder if it's wired in pentode or triode? Have you snapped any pics inside the chassis? It would be interesting to see how the wiring and caps were installed.

These Mark IIIs are killer amps. Since I've got mine , I haven't had the desire to get any other amps (other than more Mark IIIs). Welcome to the fold!

I thought mine was pretty late for a blue stripe, 8/89. Congrats, on the Mark III, they are great amps.

Thanks Guys.

I have not opened the chassis yet but I'm curious what exactly I have.

I put some pics up here http://www.mueller-design.com/mesa-mark-iii-pics.html the stripe looks blue to me, not teal or greenish but who knows. Still working on figuring out all the knobs as I'm using the factory setting from the manual. I also need to buy a footswitch.

Mike

- blue stripe (1/88 to 5/89): 21825 to 24933
- green stripe (5/89 to 9/98): 24940 to 28386

But...
- Blue Stripes in 60 W and 60/100 W power amps extend into green stripe territory
- Green Stripes were all Simulclass and fully loaded (same thing Mesa did with the Mark IV)
- Amps in head configuration are sometimes out of their own stripe range as well

themisfit138 said:
I thought mine was pretty late for a blue stripe, 8/89. Congrats, on the Mark III, they are great amps.

Is it 60W, 60/100W or Simulclass?

igfraso said:
themisfit138 said:

It's 60W. Also, the 100 outlet is positioned vertical unlike most is seen pictures of.

Mike

Remember, this amp is from back in the day, when you could order direct from Mesa and, therefore, get just about anything you wished. By 1993, they were simultaneously building Mark III's and Mark IV's.
I'd bet this was a custom ordered blue stripe 60 watt triode, because (officially) all green stripes were 85 watts pentode, Simul-Class only.

The 60 watt was the "base" model, at $950 (IIRC).

All the factory "options" were extra-cost add-ons:
Reverb - $150
Graphic - $150
EVM 12L - $150
Simul-Class - $150

"...So, you want the sunroof and the under-coating with that?"

igfraso said:
themisfit138 said:

Simulclass and sorry I had my numbers wrong mine is 3/89.

Latest posts

Back