New JJ KT-77 power tubes - got a set!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crunchyriff said:
NoGlassNoClass said:
CaughtLikeFire said:
it loses some of that Recifier "thump" that attracted me to the amp in the first place.

Good to know! You may have just saved me a hundred bucks. I do like the tone of the EL34 types, but not willing to give up the sledgehammer effect that sold me on this amp in the beginning.

You might well want to try a KT77/6L6 integrated quad.

Or instead try a KT77/6V6 quad...I am running this currently on my recto, and the 6V6 compliments the 77 very nicely...great thump with nice mids and great harmonic content without the grainy top end of an EL34. Oh yeah baby!

CaughtLikeFire said:
I don't agree with Bob @ Eurotubes in that I don't think the JJ preamp tubes sound good in Rectos. I will say that he has an excellent reputation for selecting, matching, and grading power tubes and some JJ power tubes do work well in Rectos. I told him that I'd be running them in a Mesa and he sent me a pair that don't run too hot. Simple as that. No problems at all so far.

Agreed! That makes a couple of us here so far.

OK, I screwed up. Got my new KT77's in yesterday, went to install them and snapped the center piece on the tube trying to line it up. Duhr. First time for everything. I know that the plastic part doesn't make too big a difference, but there a small glass part in there that's part of the tube that snapped also. Another set is on order. Sheesh.

oyster said:
Or instead try a KT77/6V6 quad...I am running this currently on my recto, and the 6V6 compliments the 77 very nicely...great thump with nice mids and great harmonic content without the grainy top end of an EL34. Oh yeah baby!

Very interesting :shock: I may have to give this setup a go.

A week ago I put Kts77s in my Ace and it sounds righteous man. So far these sound the best by a long shot compared to Mesa, GT and even Tesla. Great low end, creamy mids ans highs which for me is perfect for the Ace. I had these in my Roadster which was cool but are far better in the Ace. I also had that combo 77/6v6 it was good but I thought 6v6s sounded better alone in the Roadster. Those 6v6s are kickass tubes I cant wait to put'em in my Lonestar( when it arrives) :D

I might have to try these in my Tremoverb. Let me know if anyone has ever tried them in one. They sound like they would be pretty killer......

Guitarzan said:
oyster said:

Very interesting :shock: I may have to give this setup a go.

I have a Dual Rec Tremoverb 2X12. Would this setup mess anything up?? Would I have to do anything special in order to try this setup. Sorry im a little new to this whole game...... Right now i am just running the MESA 6L6's that i bought at GC. I know that i can get a better tone out of this amp with something else..... any tips??

OK, got my new KT77's, didn't screw this set up, and gigged with them over the weekend. Overall, sounds really good. Nice low end, tighter sounding than 6L6's.

O.K. gentlemen,,you guys have my curiosity running high now.
I would like to try a set of the kt77's with my ROV series 2.
Can I run them with this amp?
What bias setting do you set the switch on the back for? 6l6 or el34?
Is there anything else I would need to know before trying them with this amp?
Thanks to all of you

I just got off the phone with doug and in a few days my new KT77's will
be on my doorstep,,,, I also ordered a set of TAD 6l6-wgc's from him because he highly recommended them,, I needed a new set of 6l6's because my jj's are on the way and asked about the Tad 6l6-gc,,,he said to go with the wgc's I will not be sorry....anyways cant wait now

Lots of info about heads... Anybody try KT77s in a power amp?

It sorta sounds like loading my 2:100 with KT77s would give me something special :D or a broken amp :x .

Anybody?

KT77's sounded good before in my single rec, I just installed a new pre-amp set from Doug's Tubes, the amp sounds better than ever. Take it, I've only tested the setup with my new EMG 81/85 pickup combo I just installed, I'll have to test my other guitars with passive pups for the final thumbs up. But the cleans alone are already impressing me.

I bought a set of the kt77's from dougs tubes about 2 weeks ago and cant wait to try them out. I have been using SED c winged el34's in my ROV for a while now and just love them. Ive bought a few different power tube sets to swap around when I get tired of a sound or need something new to mess with. So being in no hurry I will just have to wait till the SED's get old sounding to me then I will throw in the KT77's.
P.S. the SED'S el34's are a totally different flavor than the 6l6's ive been running. Real mid range heavey with a lot less bottom. Sweet sounding tubes in a different way.

Try the KT77's, kinda like the EL34's, but more bottom end. I'm sold on them as my tube of choice at this point.

Latest posts

Back