New here

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpepiman

Reaction score
hey everyone. i am new here. i don't own a mesa yet but i am a big fan of them, and the reason i am here is to pick and choose a good mesa amp for me. while i am writing this i might as well ask about the mesa amp that i wan't, the mesa F-30. so please tell me what you guys think of this amp, it would be greatly appreciated, any questions just ask. thank you very much :D

Welcome!

F series are the most underrated Mesa amps by FAR. I was a huge recto guy for the longest time, until I tried out (and eventually purchased) my friends F-100.

Much easier to use and set up than most other Mesas, yet incredibly versatile at the same time. I must admit however, Im not the biggest fan of the F30 because Im not that big into the El84 sound. Though I cant say its bad at all, just not for me. Plus there is something decadently fun about having 100w :twisted:

vulture2600 said:
i never cared for the dark sound of 6l6's.
Dark? 6L6's are in NO WAY dark sounding. At least in any of the many amps I've had over the years.

welcome to the board!!
f30's a great value and the cleans are astounding. in my personal opinion, theres very little that matches el84's cranked up to spitting levels. compared to 6l6's they are a little chimier and brighter in character, with a good bite when you get them going. where as with a 6l6, you may need to use eq's or comprimise tone settings to cute through in a band setting, youll never get lost with the little '84 bottles.

enjoy the stay!

in live situations, i swear to god theres nothing better than 6L6 AND el84(blueangel) cut AND balance...mmm..

alternatively, you could (maybe) swap out the el34's in your roadking for yellowjackets and run progressive linkage? anyone actually done this?

mmmmmmm..... :cry: brings me to tears

t0aj15 said:
vulture2600 said:
i never cared for the dark sound of 6l6's.
Dark? 6L6's are in NO WAY dark sounding. At least in any of the many amps I've had over the years.

Compared to the ear piecring high end of ELs, 6l6s are pretty **** dark.

Also, dont believe the hype and put all think all your tonal emphasis is on just the kind of power tubes you use, especially in amps that rely on so much preamp gain like a Mesa.

correction, some mesa's :D

ya, in recs the brand of 6l6 you use isnt going to make a big difference, but if you've ever played a duel rec with good el34's or yellowjackets, theres a dramatic differnce, and not just even when the power amp is in overdrive. don't know if i'd call el's 'ear piercing' though..you could just as easily call 6l6's woofy, muddy, or 6v6's flubby. every tube has its place. :D most know there place. if they don't, they LEARN :twisted:

Latest posts

Back