New here and my Boogie hasn't even arrived yet!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcfee

Reaction score
Hi all. I traded my Marshall JVM 410 for a used Lonestar 100 watt head but it has not arrived yet. I am very much looking forward to this!
I tried a 1 x 12 combo out which is what sold me on the amp. Beatiful tones and it seems like it will simple to use live. I'll use the head through a 2 x 12 Marshall cab.
The Marshall had too many options for me It sure sounded great though.
I was wondering what year the Lonestar was first made? Thanks.

Also- is it necessary to use the Boogie tubes to get the best sound? (the manual says Boogie tubes will always be within the range that the amp is set for and it seems that the bias is not easily adjustable.)

Welcome to the board. Look around there is a bunch of great information here.

To your tube question. No, you don't have to use Mesa tubes. However, since you can't bias a Mesa-Boogie you need tubes in the correct bias range. Most tube speciatily retailers Eurotubes, thetubestore, tube depot etc. will provide the correct tubes sets for a Boogie on request. If you have a local M-B repair shop they will often sell correctly matched Mesa and Non-Mesa tubes too. That where I usually go. "Medium" 5-7 rated Groove tubes work too.

Good luck with your amp. Check back and let us know what you think.

I am getting freaked out reading about people modding the channel 2 and so on but I liked what I heard in the store.
Of course I know that after you live with an amp for a while things can change.
I will try using the great booster that is built into my Radial Loopbone to juice up the tone sometimes for solos.
I am not even sure how old this amp is but I am excited!

Don't worry, there are plenty of us who like the second channel just as it is :)

Mork said:
Don't worry, there are plenty of us who like the second channel just as it is.

I'm with Mork. I bought my Lone Star based on the way it sounds stock. I've had it for about a month and I love channel 2 as is.

I picked up the Boogie today but will have to wait until tonight to check it out! It is going to be a long afternoon!

I had a short time tonight to play with this Lonestar head and I find the clean tones on Ch 1 to be really superb. Stunning really, especially with single coils. Killer reverb too.
The Ch 2 is going to take a bit more time to explore because it seems like a lot of complex medium gain tones are in there. I can see that a boost/OD pedal on the front end will be a good addition.
I don't know how old this is (it has 100 watt/50 watt switches and a Tweed setting on the power switch. No sign of a 10 watt setting if that helps date it approximately.
Perhaps I should retube because I don't know how much abuse the amp has had (it was a rental I am told).
So far it seems quite amazing! Pretty too - blue vinyl with silver trim.

This amp is got a lot going on !! By using the "master" volumes and the "output" at various different levels I am finding so many stunning sounds. It is going to be a very musical piece of gear i think.
I guess it is just a bit of culture shock coming from the high gain Marshall JVM I had. This is really growing on my big time!

Congrats on the LS!! Yeah, when I got my LSS, I finally found an amp that was 'me'. After trying a zillion different amps, with a zillion different pedals, I find that I could do most of the gigs I do with just my guitar and LSS. Of course I still use pedals for special sounds, but the base sound, clean and dirty, is all LSS.

Latest posts

Back