New Guy to the Forum - a Mark IIC+ user...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jellyroll

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Mark IIC+ that I got back in the late 80's. Love the amp. I had the amp modded so that the Slave Out is now a footswitchable "solo boost" and the knob that controlled the level of the Slave Out now controls the boost amount. However, this boost basically just turns up the power amp level, but it IS useful for kicking the amp up a little when I go from my PRS to my Strat.

Here's my question: I'd like to use some sort of pedal to act as a "third channel". I have my amp set for a nice clean sound, then the Lead channel is set up for a nice chunky rhythm sound. I want to be able to step on some sort of pedal and have it give me a "solo" channel - a little more gain and a level boost. Now I know this is a tricky task - hitting the front end of the amp harder will clip the tubes a bit more and "saturate" them a bit more, but this won't always lead to a boost in level. I've been using a BOSS Blues Driver pedal in the last stage of my pedal board with the Gain all the way down and the Level all the way up, but it ain't rockin my world. I've seen some discussion about using a volume pedal in the loop, but I think the mod I've had done to the Slave Out is kinda the same thing.

Has anyone found a solution to this that works?

Sorry for the long message. I've been lurking here for a while, and there is a wealth of info and experience on the board...thanks in advance.

This is exactly how I use the Xotic RC Booster. It will not disrupt your flavor of tone like the BB will used in this fashion. The BB Preamp would be better suited as a boost for your rhythm channel, IMO.

It's also common to either:

(1) Turn off the amp's on-board EQ for the solo. Since most people usually scoop the mids for the rhythm, turning off the EQ will give you more mids (feeling like more saturation) and will give you more volume...sometimes dramatically more volume...especially depending on where you set 2200.

(2) Get an EQ pedal and put it in the loop. This solution doesn't force you to always have a no-EQ tone (ie, Santana) for every solo like the previous solution. If you buy an EQ pedal, you can put in a curve for your solo tone and then you can adjust all the sliders up a little bit to give an overall volume boost. When the solo comes, step and the pedal and rip.

I know that you asked for mods, but you've already used up the best places on your amp to stick new knobs (the slave out). Therefore, I'd recommend sticking with solutions (like pedals) either in front of the amp or in the effects loop.

Chip

+1 on the EQ in the loop. works perfect for me. I've also used a boosta grande in front, which works well.

Hi guys

Thanks for all the responses!

I have a good buddy that stocks the Xotic pedals in his store locally (SF Bay Area) and I'm gonna drag my rig over there and give them a try.

Actually I wasn't looking for another "mod", I WAS looking for a pedal to stomp on. I also like the "EQ-pedal-in-the-loop" idea - gonna try that too.

Chipaudette - interesting....let me make sure I understand. I currently run my EQ in the EQ Auto mode - your suggestion is to run the EQ off in Clean AND in Lead modes, but use the jack that switches the EQ in and out as a Solo boost when in Lead mode, and experiment with settings to help effect this "Lead boost". I'll try that too.

Thanks again guys. As always, I LOVE my MKII C+...gigged last night with it....shweeet.

(then again, maybe I should trade my C+ for a Mark V and this would all be moot....but that's a different subject)

JOEY B. said:
Jellyroll said:
(then again, maybe I should trade my C+ for a Mark V and this would all be moot....but that's a different subject)

Then you will have a C+ Boogie and 8 other amps in one box. :wink: :wink: :wink:

I feel ya. I sat with the local Boogie sales manager (Rich Longacre) and had him run me through the Mark 5 - OMG. I heard the "blackface" clean tone, a great crunchy "English" rhythm tone and a C+ solo tone. I just can't bring myself to get rid of this C+.

(OK...now I've officially hijacked my own thread...sorry!) :oops:

Back