New Guitar - opinion welcome

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejay

Reaction score
I think I am in the market for a new guitar as I have played a few recently that I would consider buying. I am not much for the solid sound produced by the SG Standard but into an Explorer or V (which I already have). I was looking for something with the same kind of bite and balls to those guitars.

I have considered the new Faded Explorers but I would really hate to pay $1100 for that guitar considering I could score a "finished" model for about a hundred more. The guitar does sound fantastic though but I was kind of looking to round out my collection as well. Others - ES-333, ES-335, LP Vintage Mahogany, LP Classic. Any comments or suggestions?

I have one of those said Japanese Lawsuit copies, and it sings! Its a 1980 Greco SA-900 (read: '59 Gibson ES-335)

I have been told by my tech that its one of the best sounding and playing guitars he has ever seen or played.

devilrob1979 said:
Get an ES-335 or Japanese copy of one. You'll thank youself for it.
I still rave about my Yamaha SA2200. It's a Gibson ES-335 clone and it's a **** good one. I like it a lot more than most of the 335s I've played. The real deals always seemed kind of hit or miss to me; some would leave me disappointed while others would be heavenly, but mine's just pretty good all the time.

I think it's about $1500 new these days but I got mine 13 years ago and it's still going strong.

Years ago I bought an Ibanez Artcore b/c I wanted a hollow body and it was ok for the $200 I paid for it brand new but I ended up getting rid of it - muddy! At any rate I actually scored that LP VM guitar at a steal of a price so I bought it figuring if I didn't like it I could turn around and sell it and make some money on it. I am still in the market though and I have settled on giving the hollow-bodies a closer look. Thanks for the input!

Have you looked into the EDWARDS (ESP) guitars, or any of the other well-made Japanese copies? I own two LP knockoffs, and love both of them - equipped with Seymour Duncans or DiMarzio pups, very nice tops, they play well and both came with HSC - Gator, at under $700! I know they make a 335 copy, and other Gibson and Fender style guitar body doubles - well worth checking out!

I'm a huge fan of Guild guitars, and their Dearmond Korean cousins. For the build quality they're waaay underrated and often ignored by many. You can often spend less than a $1000 on the semi-hollow ES-335 type model, the Starfire IV, if you look around for a pre-Fender 80s or 90s model made in the Westerly, RI factory. The Corona, CA made models are supposed to be great as well, but I haven't played one. Don't let dealer prices deter you either, 'cuz street price and craigslist is much lower. These newer models have Seymour Duncan PUs. Sometimes you can get lucky and get a 60s or 70s model with non-original parts for under $1000 as well.

Dearmond's ES-335 model is the Starfire Special. These are excellent players, and I know Guild freaks who own both because they are so good. I think they came from same factory as Ibanez. Street price is can be $350-600. Read some reviews on the net about 'em.

Also look into the upper tier Schecter Guitars (Diamond Series etc.)

I recently picked up a C-1 Hellraiser FR and it is a real nice guitar. The make it in a "V" as well. Both EMG p'ups have coil-tapping (81TW & 89)

It plays well and sounds good if you like EMG's.

Dom

PRS Mira? solid mahogany, stoptail, 24 frets, supposed to be kinda like a really well made SG

The groovy thing about the Edwards ES type guitars is that instead of laminate (plywood) bodies they are solid maple with a mahogany center block and neck. They are more prone to feedback as a result but that can be a fun effect and it's easy to control.

Dont rule these out. I'd like one myself. 8)

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=sh550

Here's one of them:

http://www.hearditontheweb.com/gear_results.php?photo=19
http://www.hearditontheweb.com/gear_results.php?photo=3043
http://www.hearditontheweb.com/gear_results.php?photo=3091

I'll try to post more pix later this week....

Here's a really bad picture of my Edwards. I need to get some pics with a real camera one of these days. Please excuse the toilet but that's the brightest light in the house.

Edwards2.jpg

Back