New guitar build

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaul123

Reaction score
Hey I am thinking about building another guitar. I really dont need another guitar but I would like to hone my skills more. So maybe I could some help with the design part of it. I only have a few stipulations. One it has to be a neck through, and two it has to be a humbucker guitar just because I have a duncan jazz and duncan distortion laying around. I guess thats it ok first step. Would you build a solid body, hollow body, semi hollow or solid with weight reducing channels? what woods would you use? Would you use neck laminations? What body style ( single cut , double cut, or something else maybe?

Unless you have experience building a hollow body or semi-hollow body w/ kerfs, and hand planing the top, not to mentioned the tooling to do that, that's pretty much a chore for those with years of experiences.

Gosh, I don't know what to say about channel away the body. I read in some forums, some luthiers don't really like the "Swiss Cheese" hollowing out (ala Warmoth). They claimed you rather hollow out as much as you can instead of getting a forstner bit and drill out some wood.

Wood lamination neck: That depends. Are you planning to have a pitch at the headstock? If you are using maple, no problem with one piece neck. Now if you are planning to use mahogany, or korina (limba) you may have to do a laminated neck or a Spanish Luthier joint. I don't care how many guitarists claims that you will lose some of the mojo with a Spanish Luthier joint, I've seen too many times Gibson neck breaks at the pitch because how short the mahogany or limba grain is at the pitch. And there not that much "meat" at that point either. I seen a side cut of a mahogany Gibson neck and its is very thin there.

Single Cutaway or Double Cutaway:

As your member name suggested, some of the Les Paul mojo comes from the way the body attach to the neck. The shoulder (opposite the cutaway) attached something like the 12, 13th, 14th fret of the neck. That contribute to the Les Paul mojo.

PRS McCarthys, Yamaha's SG2000 are two of non-Les Pauls shaped guitars that I've experienced that sounds a bit Les Pauly.

Well that's my two cents, now you owe me! :wink:

Yea I have all of the necessary equipment.I am sure I can build hollowbody without to much hick ups. Depending on the wood. I would just make a jig and route out the cavities . For a hollowbody I would bend the sides def. I like to build the necks laminated with 8 or 9 peices. Make the piece about 2 1/8 wide to about 3 inches thick then can the headstock angle. Then neck angle. Then back of neck. Tne profile. So there is no scarf joint. I normally dont like the looks of it. As far as strength goes as long as it laminated like that it is very strong. I really like the abyss single cut that they have going on. I would like to build arch top,hollow body similar to PRS style. What woods would you use. Gilmerwood.com has some cool stuff. For top def. nwimber.com

Gosh lespaul123:

Youare much of ahead of the game than I, so why'd you post such question on this forum? :lol:

Gilmer has excellent blank stock but sometimes expen$ive.

Here some exotic hi grade maple top Fraser Valley Fine Woods.

I like the feel and comfort of PRS. But I am not PRS person per se. But their McCarthy's model are my favorites.

Well if you have all that skill you mentioned, I would suggest the hollow out like a McCarty semi-hollow. Those don't feedback like some of the common semi-hollows.

Cool :p

build a carvin.

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=NT6

209 for the complete neck..

alder body blanks:
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=ABB

gonzo, I think lespaul123 is way past already pre-fabricated necks and body blank from Carvin links (seems though he built all from scratch) because he's getting the raw material at Gilmer where my luthier gets their supplies.

lespaul123: my suggestion is mahogany body and highly figured maple top.

Back