New F-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnewb1

Reaction score
Probably heard this a hundred time: I just brought home a used F-50 head and it sounds nothing like I want it to or it sounded in the store.

Used f-50 head mated to a Thiele 1X12 cabinet and instead of singing.. its sound very punchy and dead. I want buttery smooth cream filling!

I do not really have it cranked yet, but I really don't want it too cranked in the house.

When I tried it in GC, it was hooked to a Marshall 4 x 12 and seemed to sound better than this... and I really didn't crank it in the store either.

Do I need time, lesser watts, or an attenuator?

Any tube amp sound better at higher volume and the F50 is no exception.

Any overdriven/distorted guitar tone need volume to sing, nothing to do with tubes or speaker, it's pure acoustic.

Now in my opnion the F50 is not a bedroom amp, though the channel 1 is great at any volume, channel 2 crunch at low gain is acceptable at bedroom volume but with more gain the master must be at least at 9:30 - 10:00 and that's bloody loud :shock: .

With all my other amps I liked the tone I got at home and always had to tweak with a band to adjust. The F50 is not satisfying at home but with the band just turn it up, lower the gain and bass a bit and it sings and shines.

Do I need time, lesser watts, or an attenuator?

Since the amp and cab are used, I assume the speaker is broken in so time won't do much. For home use 5 watts (effectively half the power of 50W) is more than enough, my 15W Blues Junior is perfect for that but then at band level it's limit.
Attenuator might help... or might not, you have to decide for yourself.

An easy and cheap solution to start with:
hal9000F-SeriesMixPotMasterRevB.jpg

courtesy of the HarmonyCentral massive F50 thread at http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=885856
This works for me (or attenuating with my G-Major) and is way cheaper than a HotPlate.

Cheers
Fabien

actually the speaker is new...only the head is used.

Will an attenuator work without causing damage to the amp or chewing though tubes faster?

an attenuator won't damage the amp at all, but you will be running the tubes harder, so they won't last as long

Bouncepogo said:
an attenuator won't damage the amp at all, but you will be running the tubes harder, so they won't last as long

Thank You I think I'll try one

is a 1 x 12 Thiele an adequate speaker for this head. My thinking was A0 saving money and B) the express 5:50 1 x 12 combo seems to sound great with a single 12 in speaker.

It depends on taste and style of music. If you like tight punchy bass the Thiele or a closed back is perfect. Open back cabs sound more airy but the bass is looser and can get boomy depending on the speaker.

Now 1x12 is light and portable but sounds thinner and boxier than 2x12.
A 2x12 spreads more and IMO sounds a bit relaxer, like if the speakers have to work less or are less stressed for the same volume
With a 4x12 you'll probably need some gym once a week, twice a week for a full stack and I didn't mention neighbours relations yet :roll:

Guys like Andy Timmons or John Petrucci certainly do not sound thin and boxy with 4x4x12 :shock: but they definitely have roadies to do the carrying.

I have a 1x12 combo F50 with an extra 1x12 cab under so I always can choose to take 1 or 2x12 depending on the situation and to me it's ideal.
Both are open back with MC90s btw.

About the atenuator do try the special cable in the loop first, it does only cost like $2 or $3 and 5mn with the solder iron and might do the job.

Cheers
Fabien

I'll try the cord attenuator trick but I am going to take the head and speaker to the music store and try some 2X12 cabinets

I've found the fx-loop attenuation method (also via my G-Major) to work very well indeed. I play more high-gain stuff, though, so I don't need power-amp saturation.

The 2x12 Recto cab sounds a lot more full than a 1x12. You might think about getting a 2x12.

fabien said:
Guys like Andy Timmons or John Petrucci certainly do not sound thin and boxy with 4x4x12 :shock: but they definitely have roadies to do the carrying.

Heh, these days Petrucci could probably carry his 4x12's with one arm... he's gotten pretty buff.

mnewb1 said:
... I am going to take the head and speaker to the music store and try some 2X12 cabinets

The best method indeed and a good way to have fun!

SeasonOfPain said:
Heh, these days Petrucci could probably carry his 4x12's with one arm... he's gotten pretty buff.

... or did he got buff by carrying his own gear around? :D

Doesn't everything sound better through a Marshall 4x12? ...or a Boogie 4x12 for that matter?

Couple of things -

the cabinet is going to make a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference in sound.

I'm assuming that the room in your house is much smaller and has more carpeting than GC which is also going to make a significant difference.

If you want a bigger sound.... get a bigger cab.

I run my F-50 through a Marshall 4x12 and it sounds pretty fu#$ing awesome.

I took the head in and tried a Lonestar 2x12 cabinet. Man, what an amazing difference. Traded in the Thiele 1x12 for the Lonestar. Now I have have a nice saturated tone at a reasonable volume.

Thank You all for the help. 8)

Back