New 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1sttvbn

Reaction score
So I pick up my new 5:50 (last years model, no equalizer; got a deal) Saturday. After reading many of the post's on this board concerning the 5:50, It looks as if this amp has quit a few tech problems. Been playing for 37 years. My last new amp was the Marshall TSL 100 (Fourteen years ago, still have it.) But I wanted a smaller combo for the house. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as if this amp might be a dog. I just want a good practice amp, that I can play in small venues as well. I don't want a lot of problems. As I'm not into working on my amps. Will I be disappointed?

1sttvbn said:
So I pick up my new 5:50 (last years model, no equalizer; got a deal) Saturday. After reading many of the post's on this board concerning the 5:50, It looks as if this amp has quit a few tech problems. Been playing for 37 years. My last new amp was the Marshall TSL 100 (Fourteen years ago, still have it.) But I wanted a smaller combo for the house. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as if this amp might be a dog. I just want a good practice amp, that I can play in small venues as well. I don't want a lot of problems. As I'm not into working on my amps. Will I be disappointed?

What sort of problems are you having? The 5:50 does not suffer from any inherent issues, however a tube or component failure is something that can happen to any amp at any time. If you are having a specific issue, feel free to give us a call in Customer Service!

After a re-read I think you are picking it up Saturday - rather than picked it up Saturday. There is no need to anticipate problems - the 5:50 is a solid amp! Just the same, don't hesitate to give us a call in Customer Service if you need assistance in any way. Thanks!

1sttvbn said:

The Express series of amps are solid performers. I've got an Express 5:25+, and it works like a champ and sounds great, has awesome flexibility. There are many folks on this board that have 5:50's as well. I don't think you'll be disappointed. You could also ask the question on The Gear Page, as there are a bunch of boogie guys there as well.

Al

Authorized Boogie said:
1sttvbn said:

What sort of problems are you having? The 5:50 does not suffer from any inherent issues, however a tube or component failure is something that can happen to any amp at any time. If you are having a specific issue, feel free to give us a call in Customer Service!

hehehe see how people can so easily be led astray by a very few posts on forums from amp owners with minor tube issues.
I've seen this on other forums too.
You should note that most people will only ever post on a forum if/when they have some issue with an amp.
In the case of the Express probly more than 95% of the past posts on this forum have been about blown tubes which are out of control of the amp maker.
Overall imo, the Express amps are as reliable as durable as any amp ever made :)

I came to this forum to get an idea of how good the 5:50 performs. But after reading so many issues with this amp, I figured I'd post to see if this was the norm with the 5:50. I'm still buying it today. But I must admit there is some trepidation. I don't mind minor tube problems, or so. But one guy posted that his capacitors melted down, and what not. Not the kind of info you want to hear about the new amp your buying. Anyway...I'm hoping I'll get a Wednesday made amp. And not a Friday. I'll let you know, after a few weeks break in. Bill.

Enjoy your new 5:50. I still regret selling my original 5:25 years ago. It had a 2-digit serial #, and would have been perfect for the type of music I like to play now vs. then. There are no inherent weaknesses or QC issues.

Well I picked it up today, and must admit I am much impressed. Playing one of my older Strat's through it, the brightness is great. All the channels are clear. Slight Hz hum in Burn. Normal? Break in? Maybe the single coils? Anyway...I played three hours straight. And plan to get up early in the morning, and play a Les Paul through it. Happy with my purchase.

1sttvbn said:
But one guy posted that his capacitors melted down, and what not. Not the kind of info you want to hear about the new amp your buying. Anyway...I'm hoping I'll get a Wednesday made amp. And not a Friday. I'll let you know, after a few weeks break in. Bill.

hehe - 1 guy you say - one guy.
And how many 100,000's of Express amps do you think Mesa has sold in the past 5 yrs :roll:

If you wanna see some serious QA/QC issues take a look at the Line 6 forum

I've had my 5:50 for a few months now but the amp is a few years old and had been used in every capacity from bedroom playing to minor touring. Jams like a champ.

I agree that you should contact Mesa customer service with any issues. I only contacted them to replace the speaker grill and the help I received was prompt and courteous. They were even patient with my difficult to answer color questions (I'm color blind).

I've had zero problems with mine (or with my 5:25). The 5:25 gets used a good bit more -- I gig the 5:50, and use the 5:25 for rehearsals and practice at home, though I occasionally play the 5:50 at home too. Both are just fantastic amps. Any amp can have some problems, but mine have honestly been trouble free. I bought both of them used, the 5:50 having the added distinction of having been shipped from the DC area to Georgia.

One month now, and still no problems. Sounds great. I switch from Clean, to Burn. Currently using a Uni-Vibe through the loop. Really love the surf sound my "New" Custom shop Daphne Blue '63 Stratocaster has through it. It stays set up in my living room, where I get most of my best practice in, watching Football, and Basketball. Anyway, great amp. Thanks Mesa. :wink:

Latest posts

Back