Recto-Verb 25 sounds muddy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMB

Reaction score
It has a Creamback in it and was wondering if that could be the cause. New tubes throughout. Amp is in mint condition. I have a greenback or a V30 I could try, but I really don't want to go through all that if you guys have some suggestions? I know tone is subjective, been playing for over 50 years - I just want to brighten up the highs a bit. Thanks ahead of time. Peace.

Dennis
Vermont

I know you said the glass is new but do you know if they are good? If you do not have access to a tube tester, do you have other known good tubes and tried swapping them? Based upon what you are describing, I would start in the power section (power and PI) and then move on to other preamp tubes swapping one at a time.

I have gone through a lot of speakers in my day. I am a firm believer in proper break in and I follow Celestion's Dr Decibel's recommendation (turn down treble/presence, turn up clean volume/bass, and play clean chords for approximately 45 minutes) and this has worked well for all new speakers I have owned.... except the Creamback. I just could not get the speaker to break in and I never liked it's over drive tone. Speaker swaps never hurt though.

Clean Boost is your answer.

Boss SD-1 or Tubescreamer.

Back