New 2 Channel DR Argument

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch71

Reaction score
I swapped the output transformer on my JCM 2000 DSL 50 for a Mercury Magnetics output transformer. The result of this was instant and profound. Note articulation, EQ Tonality, and usable gain were immediately increased (once I got it wired right, stupid install instructions!) as the manufacturef suggests. The amp, already crisp and punchy, was more so. To my ears, the same charachter (not tone) of El Pelotero's #339 and older 2CH's I've played.

I posted this topic right before I went on vacation, and was not able to get as many players in the same room as I thought I could. Sorry about that.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=19602

With that said, I still think this argument can be addressed and addressed easily. What we need to do is find someone that swapped trannies (or that is looking to) on say a Rev G and compare it to some of the older 2 CH's . I guess we have to keep in mind that somefolks that have owned older 2 CH's were not impressed.

Anyones thoughts on the effects the OT will have on an older 2ch? Would replacing a pre500 tranny with a MM OT improve it? Definately looking for BoogieBabies input and Trace from Voodoo Amps.

Argument Considerations...
1) The Mark III trannies were used in older duals. At some point, they switched.
2) Companies like MM claim that companies use subpar transformers to leverage cost.
3) Voodoo amps claim that not all amps would require or benefit from a tranny swap.
4) An OT swap would not change a "bright" amp to a "dark" amp or vice versa.

Let the fun begin.

I think it's highly likely that you would find companies modern day that make a transformer that would tighter and more articulate than the ones used in old MKIII's. To think that the tightest, most articulate, etc...transformer available is 20+ years old with all of today's technology is a little far fetched in my opinion. Mercury Magnetics make great stuff, BTW.

they say those tranformers are the best.. they mod alot of amps with MM tformers.

Anyones thoughts on the effects the OT will have on an older 2ch? Would replacing a pre500 tranny with a MM OT improve it? Definately looking for BoogieBabies input and Trace from Voodoo Amps.

The results vary considerably depending on which output transformer you choose. Our VA-REC120-O is very articulate over all, deeper/richer lows, punchier/more focused midrange, highs are open/transparent, sustain is increased, harmonic content is richer, etc.

3) Voodoo amps claim that not all amps would require or benefit from a tranny swap.

It depends on what a customer's over all needs and wants are. For some the stock OT's are fine and others a change is needed to get them where they want to be over all.

Hope it helps
Trace

In your experience how does a tranny upgrade affect a Recto's tone. IYO

Fwdftw said:
they say those tranformers are the best.. they mod alot of amps with MM tformers.

Maybe I'm the only one who thought their transformer made my amp sound worse! I bought an "upgrade" for my 50 watt 1973 Marshall head. I talked with them for hours and was convinced that it would be an improvement. Bought both OT and Choke and had them installed - huge mistake. Tone sucked. Called MM - "Oh, your not supposed to use an attentuator!" Great....Replaced them with stock items and back to normal. MM stuff went straight to ebay....

Tim

Locky said:
In your experience how does a tranny upgrade affect a Recto's tone. IYO

Was that meant for me or Trace? I have no experience upgrading a Recto. Just the Marshall. I found MM claims to be true in my case. Then again, Marshalls are notorious for inferior parts. Trace and Voodoo Amps mod every sort of amp under the sun.

His post above is a "definiite maybe" Meaning that, if I'm reading him right, it would benefit some Rectos but not all.

thats just what ive heard.. i have no idea personally..

wow i just checked out vodoo for the first time wow im definaltly planing a std mod to my 2ch rec that thing sounds MEAN

Maybe I'm the only one who thought their transformer made my amp sound worse! I bought an "upgrade" for my 50 watt 1973 Marshall head. I talked with them for hours and was convinced that it would be an improvement. Bought both OT and Choke and had them installed - huge mistake. Tone sucked. Called MM - "Oh, your not supposed to use an attentuator!" Great....Replaced them with stock items and back to normal. MM stuff went straight to ebay....

Transformers impact the tone as well as the feel of an amp and tone is a matter of taste and as with all matters of tastes there can be no right or wrong, only tone. In other words you are by no means wrong for not liking the tone of a transformer, it all comes down to a matter of taste. Out of curiosity, do you recall which OT and choke you used?

Have a great day Tim
Trace

His post above is a "definiite maybe" Meaning that, if I'm reading him right, it would benefit some Rectos but not all.

Personally speaking I prefer the tone of the transformer we designed but it is a matter of taste as tone is subjective.

With that having been said; We take every customer's needs into account and then make recommendations based on that. For example; if someone really loves the tone of their Rectifier then changing the OT may not be the best choice for them. On the other hand it may be the perfect thing for another customer. Much like guitars, pickups, speakers, cables, etc tastes vary.

Hope it helps :)
Trace

Trace, thank you for always answering our questions. The number of Boogies you've come across, have had hands on and modify. I figured you may be one of the best resources to this argument.

Sadly, I think the answer is this...There is no argument. You get out of a Recto what you put into it. For me, I prefer the older duals. I have played recto's from #822 to #29 and everyone brought a smile to my face and enbodied what I look for in a Recto.

Toneaddictjon loves his 3 channel and you probably couldn't give him a 2ch, he'd make a video of it though!

Silverwulf, he's not into them either and I think he preferred the later models or trems, I can't remember.

El Pelotero, Johnson, siggy14, Danvortex, Daxman73, and I prefer them.

The Mercury Magnetics transformer upgrade to my DSL 50 reminded me of the charachter, not tone; nor did it make it sound like a recto, of these much beloved amps. I'm ending my portion of this discussion.

For me the Dual was like having a big dog, I just didn't have a place to turn it loose. I'll have one again someday.

i agree on that analogy clutch.. i love my rec.. but i can turn it past 8-9o clock in my apt haha i wanna crank that thing to 4 o clock hahaahah

Well I got a rackmount recto i will give you, shipping will be $1350 to your location. You can send pay pal if you like LOL Sorry no local pickup on this one.

ToneAddictJon said:
I do love my 3 channel, but if anyone wants to GIVE me a 2 channel, I'm all for it :D I'll even pay for the shipping :wink:

Trace, thank you for always answering our questions. The number of Boogies you've come across, have had hands on and modify. I figured you may be one of the best resources to this argument.

I am more than happy to be of help where I can

Sadly, I think the answer is this...There is no argument. You get out of a Recto what you put into it. For me, I prefer the older duals. I have played recto's from #822 to #29 and everyone brought a smile to my face and enbodied what I look for in a Recto. Toneaddictjon loves his 3 channel and you probably couldn't give him a 2ch, he'd make a video of it though!

Silverwulf, he's not into them either and I think he preferred the later models or trems, I can't remember.

El Pelotero, Johnson, siggy14, Danvortex, Daxman73, and I prefer them.

If you love the tone then there is little reason to change anything. Bottom line; If you are happy with your tone then that's all that counts. It does not matter how you arrived there so long as you are happy :)

The Mercury Magnetics transformer upgrade to my DSL 50 reminded me of the charachter, not tone; nor did it make it sound like a recto, of these much beloved amps. I'm ending my portion of this discussion.

Installing a Mercury OT into a Marshall will not make a Marshall sound like a Rectifier (IE: apples and oranges in a number of ways).

For me the Dual was like having a big dog, I just didn't have a place to turn it loose. I'll have one again someday.

It's always fun to crank up amps but most do not get that chance as often as they would like (living in apartments, playing clubs, etc).

Have a great Friday morning!
Trace

Latest posts

Back