Need urgent help with Mk V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
O.K. Just got the Mk V head, My first boogie @65 played about 1 hour with it, completely overwhelmed by the possibilities, almost scared.
Short term, I have band practice in two days and need to have 1 good crunch "classic rock" 60's 70'S tone that responds to guitar volume and pick dynamics
Also need to approach Carlos Santana tones, Think BLack magic woman, Oyé como va etc.

I have access to 1 x12 open cab loaded with a TOne tubby RED ; 1 2x12 closed back with creambacks and on 4 x 12 Marshall V30'S

IF anyone can suggest settings I can start with please do !
I am lost here !

CLaude

What model V? 90, 25 or 35W if it is a 90W I would suggest trying Ch 2 Mark 1 voicing. Personally I wouldn't use the v30s for the Carlos tone.
IT is the 90W version, I think I can get in the Carlos tones on CHannel 2 MK 1 mode with a tone tubby, but I find this amp very difficult to dial in... Maybe not hte best move for me...

Last edited:
Yes, that would be the best place to start. The V:90 can be initially overwhelming with all of the options.

I'd suggest looking at the manual and the sample settings they provide pgs 44-46. The "Fat Lady and All Blues" settings will provide some Mark I specifics. If you want a bit more sag, try 45W and the Tube selection (rear panel) or 10W. I wouldn't start with 90W. Also start with the EQ off when you dial it in.

Early classic rock, perhaps CH2 crunch or CH3 IIC+. I would suggest using the preset mode on the GEQ for CH2 and sliders on CH3.
As for the Mark I mode, best to start with the bass and midrange dialed out or very low, as it can be a very dark sound. You can also compensate with the presence control. Use the GEQ if you feel it is necessary.

As for the speakers, I would probably use the 212 with the creambacks. Is the cab 8 ohms or 16 ohms? Also, which version of creambacks are in the cab, G12M-65 or G12H-75? I have used the G12H-75 and thought those sounded great with the Mark V90. I have those in a traditional sized 412 cab which made me want to convert the combo to a head. Never tried the G12M-65 though as I heard they were much brighter toned. With the Mark V90, an 8-ohm load is ideal. You can run two 16-ohm cabs if you plug each into the two 8-ohm jacks as the total load in parallel will be 8 ohms. Not sure on the Marshall cab though, most are 16-ohm cabs. If it has a switch on the cab to set to 4 ohms, you can probably use that with the 4-ohm jack. Some have 8-ohm stereo mode, so that would just be like using a 212 if only one side is used. If you use both, connect them to the two 4-ohm jacks. Not familiar with Tone Tubby speakers so I cannot help you there. If the Marshall cab has the 70W Vintage speakers, it may not be a good fit for the Mark V90. Just my opinion. My only reference to the Marshall cabs is one I have for the Silver Jubilee 2555x, it is the 2551 AV. That cab has the 70W Vintage speakers. Works great with the Marshall head, did not pan out well with the JP2C or Roadster which were the only two amps I had that have a 16-ohm jack on the back.

Early classic rock, perhaps CH2 crunch or CH3 IIC+. I would suggest using the preset mode on the GEQ for CH2 and sliders on CH3.
As for the Mark I mode, best to start with the bass and midrange dialed out or very low, as it can be a very dark sound. You can also compensate with the presence control. Use the GEQ if you feel it is necessary.

As for the speakers, I would probably use the 212 with the creambacks. Is the cab 8 ohms or 16 ohms? Also, which version of creambacks are in the cab, G12M-65 or G12H-75? I have used the G12H-75 and thought those sounded great with the Mark V90. I have those in a traditional sized 412 cab which made me want to convert the combo to a head. Never tried the G12M-65 though as I heard they were much brighter toned. With the Mark V90, an 8-ohm load is ideal. You can run two 16-ohm cabs if you plug each into the two 8-ohm jacks as the total load in parallel will be 8 ohms. Not sure on the Marshall cab though, most are 16-ohm cabs. If it has a switch on the cab to set to 4 ohms, you can probably use that with the 4-ohm jack. Some have 8-ohm stereo mode, so that would just be like using a 212 if only one side is used. If you use both, connect them to the two 4-ohm jacks. Not familiar with Tone Tubby speakers so I cannot help you there. If the Marshall cab has the 70W Vintage speakers, it may not be a good fit for the Mark V90. Just my opinion. My only reference to the Marshall cabs is one I have for the Silver Jubilee 2555x, it is the 2551 AV. That cab has the 70W Vintage speakers. Works great with the Marshall head, did not pan out well with the JP2C or Roadster which were the only two amps I had that have a 16-ohm jack on the back.
Thank you all, I'll be trying all those suggestions, I got this amp because I am in a "cover" 60's 70's band and wanted something that could make it trought all of it. But now I am feeling I maybe would get better results going with a pair of amps, say Something along the likes oaf n early Marshall + a fender BF type... Sort of feels like the Boogy , for me, is turning out to be a jack of all trades... master of none.
Hope with time working with tit I can gat what I need from it.

About the GEQ, so far I have not been able to use that and think i was helping. Espcially the "preset" That EQ curve really does nothing for me.
Perhaps I am not using it right ? Most seem to think it is a great sound, I must be something wierd...

Latest posts

Back