Need to find a good live-in rd case for a Mark IV shrt head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pimpedsupra

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone out there know of any reputable road case manufacturers out there who make a good "live-in" style road case for a Mark IV short head? To clarify, this would be the type of case where the Mark IV stays in the case and the front and back lids are removed when gigging.

I'm also looking for a similar case for my 1x12 Thiele cab if there is such a thing made for Thieles.

Any of you know where to get cases like this? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

- Joe

pimpedsupra said:
Hey, does anyone out there know of any reputable road case manufacturers out there who make a good "live-in" style road case for a Mark IV short head? To clarify, this would be the type of case where the Mark IV stays in the case and the front and back lids are removed when gigging.

Bump.

I'm looking for something like this too.

Anybody?

For those of you who are reading my original post about my search for a "live-in" style ATA case for a Mark IV short head...I am still looking online and calling around, but so far I have found Janal (http://www.cases.tv/) who said they would make me the "live-in" case for my Mark IV short head. The front and the back lids would be removable and the case would have rubber feet screwed to the bottom. For about $300, Janal said they could produce this case in black with 1/4 ABS laminated 1/4 ply with 1" foam, ATA-recessed hardware and handles. Please read on for the rest of my findings here and please feel free to post comments about good or bad experiences with Janal, Affordable Cases, etc. I might've rambled some here, but these cases ain't cheap!!!

The price at Janal seemed a little high to me, but on the other hand, I haven't found any "live-in" cases for the Mark IV short head online or advertised at all, therefore, I don't have much to compare with in terms of price.

I'm from St. Louis, MO and I used to deal with Affordable (Barry) Cases a lot here in St. Louis. Jay is the owner and they make pretty good cases. I had my last case built about a month ago and they really botched the first run of that case where I had to have them make me a second case. I was surprised because they have always been accurate and thorough with their measurements. Since then, I tried asking Jay at Affordable Cases to build me a "live-in" case for my Mark IV short head and he acted like he didn't want to do it because he doesn't make that design for Mark IV's and he was worried about the amp overheating in a "live-in" case. I specifically called Mesa headquarters and they didn't see a problem with a "live-in" case so long as the front and back covers were fully removed and that the foam at the bottom of the amp wasn't too soft where it would squeeze itself in from the bottom of the amp near the reverb area. Janal so far though seems cool with building one for it. That's what I know for now....more later...

Thank you for all of your "leg work" on this. I did some quick internet searches and came up empty, but I hadn't had time to make any prospect calls or anything for custom builds.

I was also interested in a possible single or double rack mount section built in to the case, above the head. But, most honestly, I'm most intereseted in the prospect of having a Mark IV Short head + Case be similar (if not smaller) then your typical sized head (dual rec, jcm 800, 5150, etc).

Cheers.

Thanks tunedown...please post any of your findings as well if you get a chance to call around more or find someone else who can make a good "live-in" for our type of head. So far, I've just got one price quote from Janal for $300 plus approximately $30 for shipping from CA to St. Louis, MO. I tried researching Angstrom and X-Case some on Ebay, but I couldn't find phone contact info easily for them & I'm one of those people who likes to talk on the phone to a company about their product before I order something. If you find phone numbers for either company, or if you contact them, let me know.

Yep, I think you and I are thinking along the same lines in terms of the case with the amp being smaller than standard heads themselves. I'm getting sick of hauling big equipment all the time, thus my reason to go with the Mark IV short head and a Mesa 1x12 Thiele cab. I'll probably try to get a case made for my Thiele cab also if I continue to like the sound of it...I've only had it for a week or so now. I might try to buy one of those 1x12 open back Mesa cabs as well. You're probably not going to like the size of a case with extra rack spaces if you want the case to be pretty small.

How about getting a used rackmount kit for $75 or so and then getting a nice shockmount ATA case?

That would be the cheaper route and you wouldn't lose money on getting a custom case.

Greg

pimpedsupra said:
I'll probably try to get a case made for my Thiele cab also if I continue to like the sound of it...I've only had it for a week or so now. I might try to buy one of those 1x12 open back Mesa cabs as well. You're probably not going to like the size of a case with extra rack spaces if you want the case to be pretty small.

I have a road ready thiele for sale if you're interested.

Greg

I've got a A & S Road case that fits a Rectifier head with a 12 space shock rack if you are interested

UPDATE: I since have purchased a live-in case for my Mark IV short head. After shopping around, I ended up going with Angstrom Cases out of Canada. They were easy to talk to and were willing to accept custom build requests. I talked personally with Monik at Angstrom, who was very helpful. I'm very happy with the case thus far. The head fits like a glove in the case and the build quality of the case is very good. Overall, I am impressed. I'll try to post pics of this case if anyone is interested. - Joe

pimpedsupra said:
UPDATE: I since have purchased a live-in case for my Mark IV short head. After shopping around, I ended up going with Angstrom Cases out of Canada. They were easy to talk to and were willing to accept custom build requests. I talked personally with Monik at Angstrom, who was very helpful. I'm very happy with the case thus far. The head fits like a glove in the case and the build quality of the case is very good. Overall, I am impressed. I'll try to post pics of this case if anyone is interested. - Joe

I've had good luck w/ them too. Just ordered a case for my Boogie combo. (have ordered about 3 cases in the past too)

I appreciate the update. I am in the market for a case for my mark IV short head as well. I have seen pictures of one from Angstrom, but it was not a live in. It was a "lid top" with extra storage compartment.

Trying to decide between the idea of having an extra storage compartment for spare tubes or the ease of a live in.

Does/will the live in bottom ride nicely on a single 12 cabinet? Or does the handle on top make it wobbly?

Do post pictures when you have time. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back