Need some advice on the Lone star combo amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody

Reaction score
Hi
I have a mesa F-50 That I like but I was thinking about trading it for the lone star 2x12 this is where I need some help. I play classic rock like Ac/Dc, Eagles, bob seger, Skynyrd, stones, bad company, also we might play some harder stuff like ozzy, stone temple pilot, and some hair metal stuff like poison, motley crew, . Can the lone star handle these sounds? Or would I need a stiletto ace combo or the LSC. I play with a G&L Comanche , 86 Gibson Sg, 85 Gibson Lp custom

Thanks
Darryl

Cheers.

Based on the bands and style of music you've mentioned, the F50 would be high on my list of recommendations. Is there something specific about the F50 that you don't like? That may help me better understand if the Lonestar might be what you're seeking (I own the Lonestar Classic 1x12 combo, by the way, and my brother has an F50 so I'm familiar with both amps)

Well I'm not sure. I like my F-50 but I have heard so many good things about the Lonestar 2x12. Great tone and reverb. I have played one in the store but sometimes it better to play one for a week or two before I can make my decision. What’s you opinion on the lonestar. Witch one do you like better

I love my Lonestar, but my decision was based on the fact that I was looking specifically for an amp for clean and blues tones. I have a Mark IV for the high gain stuff. In my opinion it has the best clean tones of any Mesa amp, with the F50 a close second. The Lonestar will do the classic/hard rock stuff easily with the Drive switch engaged. IMO it has a feel similar to the drive channel of the F50 without the contour engaged. I don't think it can do the heavier side of rock/metal without some sort of OD/Boost/Distortion pedal....

I don't have experience with the new Stilleto Ace, but that may be right up your alley and worth a look. Classic rock and high gain 80's metal shouldn't be a problem with it since it is voiced like a Marshall (with a Mesa twist of course).

I'd suggest demoing both the Lonestar and Stilleto if you can, with your own guitar using some of the suggested settings from the owner's manuals downloadable from the Mesa website, and see which one feels the best to play. Hope that helps...

and if someone wants to do metal with a lonestar for example..
I mean is there a solution for adding gain without changning the tone?
a booster very transparent....?

The Lonestar will do all those with ease. I play classic rock too and I find for a lot of the older stuff, I turn the drive switch off because I have too much gain. Hair metal isn't a problem either (or Priest, older Ozzy, etc.) I haven't played with the F series, so I can't help there. The Lonestar will surprise you with what it can do.

too much gain?you mean you succind in getting hair metal without the drive on?

I own a LSC 1x12. If you go for a Lonestar, get the head and cab.

As far as hard rock it's simple. As far as hardrock/metal goes I think alot of it has to do with your pickups. I can dial in some tones for Sabbath and early Metallica with my Seymour Duncan Custom(5 I think) and it sounds beautiful. But my Seymour Duncan Pearly Gate doesn't dial it in as well but still sounds wonderful.

I've got a guitar with EMG active pickups 60 and 81.....
and which one between the classic and special is the more hard/rock?the more agressive?

Woody : I say try the combo and then a head and cab. Personally I like the combo. It sounds different. I like the open back cab tone. Weight yeah but I dont care about that its not that bad. My old fender twin weighed as much

benlink: The EMGS you have will make that amp scream compared to other passive pickups. I use an 85 and a 60 A and the lonestar does hard rock very very well. Not metal but more marshall tones than say rectifier tones. Also I have a hot british pedal hooked up so I can get betetr tones with my classic than say most can with a 5150 head or something. I vote for the classic because its a better amp than the f-50 overall and a greta starting point to get serious tones for anything

vibeman said:
benlink: The EMGS you have will make that amp scream compared to other passive pickups. I use an 85 and a 60 A and the lonestar does hard rock very very well. Not metal but more marshall tones than say rectifier tones. Also I have a hot british pedal hooked up so I can get betetr tones with my classic than say most can with a 5150 head or something. I vote for the classic because its a better amp than the f-50 overall and a greta starting point to get serious tones for anything

I'm glad to hear that this amp is very reactive according to the pickups used.....so...ok it won't sound like a recto...but to what amp with a closed back cab and my pickups, to what amp could you compare your lonestar in terms of agressivity and gain?a mark?which one?
I've read that the lonestar classic was very dark....and in fact I won't use 100watts it will always be switch on 50watts....this is why the special ineterested me...
ut if you tell me the classic is more agressive...

dark ? Thats from ears that dont know how to use an eq. It can be bright as hell. I hate bright myself. Anyway I have a shiva bogner and the dirty with the extra gain on is very touch sensitive and less dark than with it off. I however think the cab have as much bass as a close back and sounds best with the 90 watt speakers but try it out with many to see

is it risky to only have two tubes in the lonestar classic?
if the switch is on 50w?cause I don't need 100w
the thing is..
which one of the two is the more hard/rock?

benlink said:
is it risky to only have two tubes in the lonestar classic?
if the switch is on 50w?cause I don't need 100w
the thing is..
which one of the two is the more hard/rock?

IMO both LS Special and LS Classic will give you hard rock, but with different voicings that you'll have to hear to decide which sounds best. To my ears, the LS Special's drive channel sounds more Vox-like, while the LS Classic sounds like the Lead Channel of my Mark IV with the gain set around 3 or so.

If you are deciding between the LS Special and LS Classic, I encourage you to take a look at this thread, since I went through the same dilemma:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5741&sid=9bfcff5fa3936d52ecfffaf879e34bc5

and Ive seen on the site that in the tone settings thing....
there is a setting for the lonestar special called warm heavy sound....
so have you guys lonestar owners tried it?
how heavy is it?
and the drive is on clean and not on "high gain".....so can it get even more heavy?

Thanks for all the input on the subject. I’m going tomorrow to take another inspection with both amps LSC & LSS. I actually like my Mesa F- 50 but my 30 day test drive is over on that amp. I might bring the f-50 home for good but I might trade for a new Lonestar. How many of you brought your mesa new or did you find one used EBay thing

could someones who owns the lonestar post a heavy clip of it?
in order to see how it goes..

so the drive switch.....for hair metal....and how would you compare this sound.....is it close to a mark IIC+?or to what amp?

benlink said:
could someones who owns the lonestar post a heavy clip of it?
in order to see how it goes..

Right on! Could someone post some clip of the Lonestar special
Thanks
Darryl

Back