Need new tubes for Mesa Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhSoInsane

Reaction score
Hey folks,

So I read around quite a bit and the consensus seems like Tungsol 12ax7 pre and SED power tubes are the way to go.
I have never changed tubes before so I have a couple of questions.

1) No biasing needed for the preamp tubes right?
2) How does biasing Mark IV work with Winged "C" SED power tubes with a fixed bias. Do I even need to bias?
3) What are the Mesa power tubes I can put in? What's their model number(s)? (I'm looking for 2 outer EL34's and 2 inner 6L6s)
4) If the SED power tubes are more expensive than Mesa, is the bias hassle and price worth it?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.

By the ways, I am looking for dreamy cleans and EXCELLENT :))) high gain sounds

Cheers.

Ok well it seems like I'm gonna pull the trigger on Tungsol 12AX7 preamp tubes, and 2 Tungsol 6L6G and 2 Tungsol EL34B power tubes.

I guess my questions now are:

1) The local store sells them individually. Are there disadvantages to not buying them as a "matched pair" that I keep hearing about online? It costs a lot to ship to Canada, plus returns and exchanges will be a *****, things can go wrong in shipping, etc.
2) Will they work without having to bias?

I heard good things about these power tubes and I don't play at crushing volumes for too much power tube saturation, so I think these will sound good. If you have any opinions, please share.

Thanks

I use Tung Sol and love them. So i say good choice. To answer the questions the pre amp tubes need not be matched nor biased. The power amp tubes need to be matched in pairs. This is to insure that the bias between the tubes is not more than 10 millivolts difference. As for the biasing in the amp it can be adjusted but it takes a trained tech. When i do mine i just pop them in, make sure they don't "red plate" and see how they sound. Usually there is not any issue with Mesa amps.

Peace,
Joshua

Back