Need more Sustain

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spearsbill

Reaction score
Ok. So I've got awesome crunch on the Dual Rec for Rhythm playing, but when it comes solo time, I have no sustain. Notes die out immediately. My setup is pretty simple right now. EMG-81's using Modern setting on Channel 3 with a touch of delay in the loop via a Rockrton Xpression. A tube screamer in front of the amp helps, but not exactly what I'm looking for. What's the best way to get longer sustain?

The setting you describe on your amp should give you TONS of sustain. Are you sure it is working correctly? Are the tubes old? Also, are you sure you have the send and return levels correctly set?

Also: What kind of guitar? How is your string hight? Does the guitar sustain well acoustically?

RB

The amp is brand new. I have the send at 50% (in the section labeled "normal") and the mix at about 30%. My guitars have low string heighth, but sustain well acoustically.

Guitars are:
Jackson DK1
ESP KH2
ESP Eclipse
(all with EMG's)

On my Johnson Millenium (digital modeling) amp set to emulate the Dual Rec I can sustain notes for days. I'm trying to recreate the sound I had there with real gear, but with more balls.

Is it better to have the Channel Volume higher and the master volume lower or the other way around in regards to sustain or does it matter?

NOt to bash dual recs, as i own one myself, but when i bought it i knew i wasnt going to get great lead tones. its more of a hi gain rhythm only thing. ive heard very few ppl get a good lead tone, and its nothing compared to a mesa mark.

On my Road King, I usually set the master amp volume higher, and the channel volume a bit lower....since the channel volume primarily affects the pre-amp tubes, and the master effects the power tubes, it seems like to me that I get more of that power tube drive that way.

Admittedly, I have never played on a dual rec...just the dual rec Road King, so I really don't have a difinitive reference point for it's tone.

Hope I helped at least some.

RB

Elpelotero said:
NOt to bash dual recs, as i own one myself, but when i bought it i knew i wasnt going to get great lead tones. its more of a hi gain rhythm only thing. ive heard very few ppl get a good lead tone, and its nothing compared to a mesa mark.

My thoughts exactly.

I'd blame the guitar myself, not the EMG's though.... They should sustain a long time. How about a LP? A Dual Rec should have the drive to sustain on it's own, but if the guitar is not , it just won't...
My RG520QS is set with really low action and still sustains almost as long as my LP, both have stock pups too!On my Mark III, I use the master vol mostly, and the channel vols are low, and adjusted just to balance...
ax. :twisted:

Your problem may be in the fact that you are in the 3rd channel on the modern setting. This channel was made for rythm playing.

Try moving to the 2nd channel in the vintage setting and you'll have loads of liquid sustain perfect for solos... I think the DR has great solo capabilities personally but as others has said it is a rythm guitar amp in my mind. It is definetly possible to get great lead tones out of it though..

At bedroom levels I get no sustain as well. But crank that Output around 10 o'clock and the amp wakes right up.

I don't use the Red channel for true solos. I have it set up for a brusin' rhythm tone and occasionally I kick it on for melody lines. But I live on the Orange channel for solos.

Latest posts

Back