Need more saturation

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtrplayer

Reaction score
Seem to have problems getting that good rock saturated sound. Looking to get more saturation in Channel 2... any thoughts.

Thanks!

Hit the strings harder.

Assuming we're talking crunch mode; I don't even need the gain all the way up to play Metallica. Rock should be a piece of cake.

gtrplayer said:
Seem to have problems getting that good rock saturated sound. Looking to get more saturation in Channel 2... any thoughts.

Thanks!

Do you have an example of what type of tone you are looking for?

Here are my current settings in the pics below. This should help quite a bit.

I heard that sound CC gets on "Nothing but a good time" by Poison.. THAT is the sound I'm looking for... thick, saturated, yet it still "cuts" through enough and sounds powerful... I SHOULD be able to get that with this head.

I'm running it through a 1x12 Ported Thiele Mesa cabinet. I also use the Zakk Wylde over-drive in front of it at times.
I run a PRS CE 24 with JBs in it, a Jackson w/EMGs, Strats with all JBs in them...

But I just can't seem to get that good solid saturated sound. I typically ONLY use channel 2 - Channel 3 I hardly EVER use.. Check my settings and let me know your thoughts...

Channel2Aug2011.jpg

Channel3Aug2011.jpg

EQSettingsAug2011.jpg

Some basic stuff you should try out!
Reduce the gain! Reduce it dramatically!
More treble and a bit more presence!!! On both channels!!!
Ch 3 - try using the Mark IV or IIC+... with C+ maybe with a bit more gain than on IV, still, both with a lot more treble than you already have!!!
C+ and IV are probably the thickest i played ever!!!

Treble will add more gain and bit more treble,
presence will add more gain with a bit more screams!!

Set the gain to 1.30 on both channels and fiddle with treb and presence!! You will get the sound you are looking for.
My mark V plays from Death/Black/Thrash metal to Pink Floyd kind of tone! All of them live and all of them are always applauded!!!
This is the ULTIMATE amp! If I could, I would buy another so I don't have to carry it around!! heheeh maybe one day!

AWESOME info!!! Thanks Rkorn!! I will give that a try at the next show and see what I get!

gtrplayer said:
I heard that sound CC gets on "Nothing but a good time" by Poison.. THAT is the sound I'm looking for... thick, saturated, yet it still "cuts" through enough and sounds powerful...

During Poison CC used a Crate solid state amp (G60 combo). I think he's using a Crate VTX200 head these days.

You'll never recreate that small, tight and compressed solid state distortion with a tube preamp. You'll probably get closer with a Boss DS-1 or something similar.

Wow! No joke?!? A crate G60 Combo?? What's funny is I used to have one of those!! ha!

That's such a HUGE sound...but I guess the studio has a lot to do with that as well.

Yea, I could try the DS1 I have two of those things, they're just not on my board right now.

Thanks!!!

ryjan said:
technique>gain

This is completely true!!! I had to much picking noise, now, in some parts I attack with less angle on the string and the picking noise is gone!

Remember that with Boogies, as you set the volume higher, the tone will brighten and will also open up!
So, if it sounds to ... airless or boomy, when on stage with higher volume it will open up a lot! Bringing more gain and that extra brightness that will fill the room and pierce through the mix!!!

THIS IS A FABULOUS AMP!!
You just need to learn what the dials do! And also, VERY IMPORTANT, this amp will play everything that is happening on the guitar, so your technique will improve a lot by playing this amp!! (this is something that I do not see happening with any other amp)
Except for the bass knob, all of them will bring a bit more gain!!

Hmm...no one has mentioned it yet, but if you feel like your amp is not getting you where you want it, start playing around with your tubes (power section and preamp). That alone will change your amp night and day. Also, use the GEQ sparingly as the 750hz will brittle you right up to no end if it's set too low. I'll be honest, the first thing I would do with a newly owned Mark V is change out the tubes to take out some of that grittiness. Some people may prefer that, though. I like more smooth highs and a big thumpy punch. Just my few pennies.

Neptical said:
Hmm...no one has mentioned it yet, but if you feel like your amp is not getting you where you want it, start playing around with your tubes (power section and preamp). That alone will change your amp night and day. Also, use the GEQ sparingly as the 750hz will brittle you right up to no end if it's set too low. I'll be honest, the first thing I would do with a newly owned Mark V is change out the tubes to take out some of that grittiness. Some people may prefer that, though. I like more smooth highs and a big thumpy punch. Just my few pennies.

If you check out the song link he posted, what he's after is just about as opposite from smooth highs and thumpy punch as you can get.

screamingdaisy said:
Neptical said:

If you check out the song link he posted, what he's after is just about as opposite from smooth highs and thumpy punch as you can get.

Crap, sorry bro...I just went back and read that. Hmmm...a CC Deville tone on a Mark V...(?) Not so sure on that one. Those tones remind me of the ADA preamps.

I felt the same way when I first got my Triaxis. I thought it needed more gain and the dynamic voice couldn't get high enough. Turned out I was just a shitty guitar player. So I practiced my *** off and now I can enjoy a quality tube amp. :D

As far as a nice compressed OD/Distortion in channel 2 or 3, EMG's were the answer for me. They are naturally very compressed and tight. The V responds differently to actives compared to passives. Also, I found that putting =C= 6L6GC's in actually smoothed out the amp and gave it more headroom, which helped with "saturation" instead of "grind." I have not found an OD pedal to be necessary with the V. As far as Ch.2 goes (and I'm talking Crunch Mode,) I find it to be easier to tweak than other Modes. I too looked for more saturation in "Crunch" and found it here:

*BIG FACTORS*
EMG Pickups
SED =C= 6L6's (Should give you close to what you want regardless of pickups.)
V1 & V4: Tung-Sol 12ax7 Reissue (Create a more open and clear atmosphere, yet still have nice gain.) V2 & V3: Mesa/JJ 12ax7-A (Very important tubes for what your seeking; dark, smoothly-tight gain and they marry with the Tung-Sol's well.) V5 & V6: Mullard 12ax7 Reissues (Not so much about gain as they are straight up tone.) V7: Sovtek 12ax7LPS (Very clear transition.)

Sometimes, a nice, tight, saturated gain/tone can be achieved by "smoothing" out the tone via different tubes, instead of putting all JJ's (very gainy, but as I said; important) in it...that's how I look at it. Here are my tone settings for Ch.2's Crunch Mode set to 90watts with a V style graphic only with the 2200hz slider just above the middle line and the 240hz slider a hair higher than that; Upper and lower mid settings are very important with high gain and other apps. Also, the 750 slider set below the bottom line can actually take away from attack and overall smoothness of how the controls work together:

Treble: 2 o'clock (Which is higher than what I see most people's treble settings on this mode, but I love it. Remember, the treble knob on the V acts much more like a Gain knob.)
Mid: 11 o'clock (Don't be afraid to add mids here. This is the knob that will give you "punch" in this mode.)
Bass: 11 o'clock (Between 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock you can still retain tightness and body. Set to taste.)
Gain: 5 o'clock (Crank it. The body and gain drastically change the higher/lower you turn.)
Master: 11 o'clock (This mode loves a high master for gainey applications.)
Presence: 1 o'clock (Once again, higher than what I usually see other's set to, but I don't find it to be too pointy. It is crucial in high gain apps and I find it to still stay smooth.)
Output 10 o'clock (I run this higher than my master in Ch. 3, but I like Ch. 2's master a bit higher on Crunch mode.)

Latest posts

Back