Need MB Amp Advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khudsonjr

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a Mesa Boogie amp, but not sure on which one. Perhaps if I tell you my needs, someone can point me in the right direction.

For guitars I have a SG & Tele & I'm getting a Schecter soon. I have a Carr Rambler, Vicky Champ clone & some cheaper amps, but looking to consolidate somewhat. I play blues, classic rock (AC/DC, ZZ Top) and metal (ie Metallica, Godsmack, etc). I don't gig - just have home studio and play with friends. Is there a boogie amp than can give me all three genres? I don't really think I need high wattage - would like to stay in the 30-50 watt range if possible.

I thought about the Lonestar Special combo, but heard this is more of an Strat type of amp and I will mostly use humbuckers. I also don't think this will give me the metal territory that I need - probably would need a metal distortion pedal? But I do like the 5w, 15w & 30w output options.

I also thought about a Roadster combo, seems to be much more versatile and will give me the metal territory, but wasn't sure if it was overkill for my situation. Plus it costs more.

Any opinions, suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

id reccomend an older DC3 or an f-30. these should cover most of your tones and have enough gain to get pretty heavy, plus you could always throw in an od pedal if you need even more gain for some pantera or somethin. rectoverbs are pretty good, especialy at crunchin but the cleans and in between tone may not be as good, altough if your an avid tweaker none of that applies. :wink:

I would recommend the rect-o-verb for jazz/blues/rock/metal. It can cover all these very reasonably, and is available in a 50 watt 1x12 combo. Just don't use the effects loop :shock:.

Latest posts

Back