need help with mark 4

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

everfeel

Reaction score
Hello Boogieboarders!
I´ve had a mark 4 for around 6 moths, I´m the second owner of the amp. It came with four 6550 ruby power tubes, 3 moths ago, suddenly the amp started to make a strange noise and one power tube started to get hot and turned orange while the other tubes turned completely off. I ran and turned the amp off, thinking something was burnt. I bought a set of SED winged c 6l6gc´s and sent my amp to the local technician to have the amp checked and replace the tubes. He tested the bias and it was on 467 volts (he said it was fine for 6l6´s, but what do you guys think?) my worry is that he didn´t change any parts, just replaced the tubes and tested all the voltage measurements, we also tested the preamp tubes (which do need replacement) and it all was done. I went back home and I´m having some issues: one is the distortion sounds bad (i think it´s the preamp tubes that are worn out) and the second is that when i connect the reverb and rise the reverb level from 1 up to 10 the amp starts to make a noise, like pink noise. So I switched the connection around (the manual and the amp´s diagram are contradictory on the placement of the reverb´s send and return rca jacks, so i tried both ways) and the amp started to make a strange feedback.
One more question, does the amp have an auto bias setting? or where i can adjust it?
If you have an idea of what can be wrong with my amp, or have any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this, please post and let me know.
Thanks.

From what I know...the bias is set at the factory. The MarkIV isn't like other amps where you has to re-bais the amp every time you change the tubes. If you go to the MesaBoogie web site and download the user manual on the MarkIV there is a whole section on the bais and why it's factory set and never needs changing.

Back