Need help playing live...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends if its an analogue or digital board.

It if has VU meters thats the RMS level (Root mean squared) which means the overall average sound level is in the red. Peaks would be much higher than that, most digital boards or digital meters measure peak by default.

You generally want head room of -15 db to -12 db for RMS and -6 db for peak.

In any event, if the sounds comes out distorted or clipped...turn the master faders down.

I'm assuming the sound guy said your guitar amp was "so loud that the meter was in the red" and trying to make you feel like an idiot for "playing too loud." He, though, has two controls: the channel fader, and the channel gain. He can turn down the gain on your channel to prevent clipping.

Mahalo said:
Tell those party poopers that JESUS ROCKS and crank that amp bro...
Boognoob said:
Ted Neeley commands it!
LOL. We're having a practice on thursday, and we're going to make an effort to get things to a level all can live with in practice on stage and then take it from there.

Is it normal for the stage sound to change so much from when the room is empty to when it is full with the congregation. That seems to happen often, I can understand the sound in the room over all changing but what about the stage sound?

Most definitely...!

An empty venue will reverberate as there is less to absorb and diffuse the sound energy. However this will affect you less on stage. If anything don't make huge modifications to your stage sound based on the people in the audience. Reduce your reverb and ambiance levels a bit when empty and increase a bit more when the place gets filled up. But it should be only just a little bit. The stage sound shouldn't be so loud as to affect the entire room. Its strictly for your purposes to hear each other clearly and in a balanced manner as if you are listening to your living room stereo system at a comfortable volume (if you have a SPL meter 83-85 dbl seems to be the best linear sound level)

When the PA guy tests the house system...he should also reduce both ambiance effects and lower to mid bass frequencies. As the congregation fills he can then add more. The responsibility rests squarely on his shoulders to accommodate.

If anything you will generally sound better and tighter when there's a lot of bodies to absorb the sound energy and reduce reflections.

thalweg said:
Most definitely...!

An empty venue will reverberate as there is less to absorb and diffuse the sound energy. However this will affect you less on stage. If anything don't make huge modifications to your stage sound based on the people in the audience. Reduce your reverb and ambiance levels a bit when empty and increase a bit more when the place gets filled up. But it should be only just a little bit. The stage sound shouldn't be so loud as to affect the entire room. Its strictly for your purposes to hear each other clearly and in a balanced manner as if you are listening to your living room stereo system at a comfortable volume (if you have a SPL meter 83-85 dbl seems to be the best linear sound level)

When the PA guy tests the house system...he should also reduce both ambiance effects and lower to mid bass frequencies. As the congregation fills he can then add more. The responsibility rests squarely on his shoulders to accommodate.

If anything you will generally sound better and tighter when there's a lot of bodies to absorb the sound energy and reduce reflections.

I know what reverb is of course. Your refering to ambiance levels, is that just tone levels. Treble, bass and so forth?

ifailedshapes said:
BobR said:
Tilt the amp up a bit toward you. Bob

This has already been said a few times. :) It's a good point!

Missed it. Theres another simple,cheap thing you can try. Take a CD,drill a small hole near the edge and attach a thin wirehook to it. Hang the CD in the middle of the grill to use as a beam blocker. It will direct sound out around and towards you while reducing some going directly ahead. Cheap try and ,obviosly ,easily removed! Bob

34dosvl.jpg

Vogelsong said:
thalweg said:
Most definitely...!

I know what reverb is of course. Your refering to ambiance levels, is that just tone levels. Treble, bass and so forth?

Ambiance may not be the best word to use, but when you think of ambient music, it's lush with reverb, delay, and modulation. Your tone controls should not change according to the presence or lack of people in the room.

BobR said:
ifailedshapes said:
BobR said:
Tilt the amp up a bit toward you. Bob

This has already been said a few times. :) It's a good point!

Missed it. Theres another simple,cheap thing you can try. Take a CD,drill a small hole near the edge and attach a thin wirehook to it. Hang the CD in the middle of the grill to use as a beam blocker. It will direct sound out around and towards you while reducing some going directly ahead. Cheap try and ,obviosly ,easily removed! Bob

34dosvl.jpg

Im gonna try this one. Im playing a head through a 2x12 so tilting it isn't the easiest fix. The stage is already crowded so tilting the cab and placing the head elsewhere is out of the question.

Ambient effects is common studio parlance when describing things like reverb, delay, impluse, room shaping etc etc...

"ambience (also known as atmosphere, atmos, or background) consists of the sounds of a given location or space.[1] It is the opposite of "silence." This term is often confused with presence."

Generally you shouldn't have to change your tone controls for stage as the primary ambient control element is the main pa house system. That said if the PA is using the reverb from your guitar amp as an example...you should definitely turn that down. Tone does dramatically affect the ambience of a room. At the very least bass should be reduced substantially (again via the PA) until the room has enough absorbing diffusing elements in it.

ifailedshapes said:
Vogelsong said:
thalweg said:
Most definitely...!

Ambiance may not be the best word to use, but when you think of ambient music, it's lush with reverb, delay, and modulation. Your tone controls should not change according to the presence or lack of people in the room.

Vogelsong said:
Im gonna try this one. Im playing a head through a 2x12 so tilting it isn't the easiest fix. The stage is already crowded so tilting the cab and placing the head elsewhere is out of the question.

why is that? you can't tilt it back with the head standing longways on one end beside it? it wont hurt anything. i've done it before.. you have the footboard for making changes on the fly, right?

or, again, just sidewash it.

out of curiousity, how big IS this church...like how many people and size..?

yeti said:
Vogelsong said:

why is that? you can't tilt it back with the head standing longways on one end beside it? it wont hurt anything. i've done it before.. you have the footboard for making changes on the fly, right?

or, again, just sidewash it.

out of curiousity, how big IS this church...like how many people and size..?

Its a decent size room, the stage is probably 20' long but its only about 10' deep if that. Now with that in mind across the back you have 2 key boards end to end, then the drummer, the bass player and his amp, me and mine and an acoustic player. then in front of me is the horn guy, next to him a percussionisst, the band leader in the center and on the other side of him are 3 back up vocalists.

Trying to rearrange the stage so there is more room is also on the agenda. There is a lot going on all at once at this place. The room not counting the stage is probably 50x30.

This will show ya the stage keep in mind not everyone is there. Usually there is a percussionist next to horn guy, and an acoustic player in the corner next to me on the right.

http://www.facebook.com/friends/edit/#!/video/video.php?v=192836270739855

ifailedshapes said:
He posted a YouTube video in the recording forum. It's a small church.

Yea here is that video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28v0ThS6mog

This is an actual sunday service. This was the one that got all the talk going.

I was too loud in the beginning, asked to turn down so I did. But then it was to the point where I couldn't hear myself. So now we're collectively trying to come up with a solution.

You can't see it but the room is acutally 15 wider on each end of the stage. But the way the camera is set up that width is cut off.

did you try to put it in 10 watt mode. should make things a bit more manageable?

good sound..really loud.

Back