Need Help, Lone Star Special 112 or 212?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resonator

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I played my American Deluxe Strat through a Lone Star Special 112 yesterday and I've found the amp I've been looking for my whole life. I've been using a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410 for the past three years. It's a great amp, but it's way to loud for home use. I don't gig anymore. I haven't had the opportunity to try the Lone Star Special 212.

Should I buy the 112 or 212 and why? It's only $100 more for the 212. Is the sound improved with the 212? Although that would be hard to believe.

Any info you can give me on these two options would be greatly appreciated.

I've got more questions swimming around in my head, but I'll go with this one first.

Thanks, Res :?

A 1x12 cab in addition to the 1x12 combo is the way I went. I prefer that total sound as compared to a 2x12.

I went with the 2-12",....didn't try the 1-12",....I figured "why not"?
Like you said ,..only $100 more...

I tried both and bought the 2x12". The reason was that I wanted to move the amount of air I could get from the 2x12". The sound is a bit different (it was a "fuller" sound to me) as you'll get some freq cancellation (as you will with any multi-speaker setup).

As one mentioned above, several folks go with a 1x12" with a 1x12" extension cab, I think primarily to lessen the weight (though I imagine this setup sounds different than a 2x12" as well). I don't have to move my amp much, so i didn't care about any weight issues.

SabuJSE hit the nail on the head.

I have the LSS 1 x 12 combo with the 1 x 12 ext cab. I also use the ext cab with a LSC head and a MAz 38 Sr. head.

It gives so much more flexibility.

I just made this decision about three months ago for the amp which was finally completed last week. I called Mesa to get their input about engineering of the 'box' etc and how the sound would chage with 1X12 instead of 2X12. In my case a have a Fender 2X12 closed back cab that I bought to complete my VibroKing setup.

The person I spoke to said that they seemed to think the sound they were looking for when the amp was designed was best accomplished with the single 12. The caveat being that if you need it louder then the only way to move more air is with the second speaker or outboard cabinet.

I ultimately decided on going with the single 12 in a 'widebody' cabinet as I like the demensions better. In my case, I did factor the weight into as the 2X12 is the better part of 90# and I live up a flight of stairs.

I'm sure it's a wonderful amp in either configuaration.

Well, I brought home the Mesa Lone Star Special (1x12) today. I'm trying to dial in my Cleans for Channel one and I'm almost there. I will say this, the DeVille is easier to dial the tone in, but it's really a one dimensional amp if you throw out the Drive and more Drive channels.

I decided to go with the 1x12 because of the post here about the matching extension Cab. I'm going to wait a while before ordering it though. I was told it's about $400 and takes a couple months to get.

I'm going to be asking question about setting's and tones for sure. This amp is so versatile. I think I'm going to go analog on any stomps I put in front of the LSS. I would think that a digital effect would take away from the great sound of the LSS. If I'm wrong about this, please advise. I'm going to need compression for sure for the Lap Steel.

Res :D 8) :D

Congrats! I bought the 1x12 Lonestar Special about 2 months ago. Killer amp, replaces my Mark III I bought new in '89. I have gigged and practiced with the Special through my 4x12 1960AHW reissue cabinet, sounds killer. Saturday I have a gig, supposedly big PA setup, and I'm just bringing the 1x12, no extension cabinet. I'm surprised at how good the Special sounds with just the 1x12.

Oh, and I also have an American Deluxe Strat that sounds great through the Special. I have it setup with a GT-6 as an effects insert (for echo mostly) and a Cry Baby 535Q, insert into the GT-6 (only activated on certain patches). Only amp overdrive.

I think you did the right thing getting the 1X12. I think it sounds much more natural and toneful this way. The wait for an extension cab will be worth it, because it sounds so much better than a 2x12 combo IMO and is much easier to move around. Enjoy! :D

The only way you are going to know is to test both.

Like Simonich, the 2x12 has a fuller sound and pushes more air. I tested 1x12 and 2x12 combos and bought the 2x12 combo at GC. Because of the weight factor, I ended up ordering through GC a LSS head and LS 2x12 cabinet. I kept and gigged with the 2x12 combo until my order arrived (about 8 weeks). I'm in heaven! The weight issue is not a problem and I got the great sound I was looking for.

Bottom line -- you'll have to judge for yourself. As you can see, there are many opinions and you need to be happy with your rig.

Latest posts

Back