Need help in choosing a Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackel

Reaction score
I'm hoping you guys can please help me in choosing one of the striped versions of the Mark III heads

I have narrowed it down to the following the Blue stripe and the Green stripe.

Below is info I found on the Boogie Files web page:

>Red:
>R2 is like current Mark III
>R2 further developed and very hot.
>Lead mode is also tweaked to close in on the IIC+ sound

>Blue:
>Reshaping of R1
>More aggressive preamp gain
>Power section made akin to IIC+

>Green/Simul-Class:
>Final Cleaner R1 reshaping
>Lead channel reshaping
>unlike other Simul amps, these Mark III's were wired in Pentode
>NOT triode in the Class A sockets for more power.
>Power section is same as Blue otherwise.

From the above info it sounds like maybe Blue or Green Stripe may be the way to go for me.

From the above info it states the Red Stripe R2 is like the current or last version model meaning Green Stripe and Red Stripe Mark III have the same R2.

But it says the Green Stripe Lead channel was reshaped?
Is the Green Stripe Lead Channel different from the Red or Blue Stripe?

If so how does the Green lead channel differ from the Blue and Red Stripe?

Also in the info it states for the Green Stripe Mark III's were wired in Pentode - NOT triode in the Class A >sockets for more power.
Power section is same as Blue otherwise.

So the Blue Stripe's Power section was made to sound like the Mark IIc+

And if that is true then the Green Stripe has the same power section as the Blue Stripe which means the Green Stripe also will sound close to the Mark IIc+'s power section?

The Green also has a cleaner R1?, would that affect the gain to the lead channel as you know the higher you set the clean channel the more gain you get on the lead channel?

The Green sounds like it could be very cool but I just wanted to double check with you guys on these things.

With the Blue Stripe it looks like it would have the best power section and the best rhythm and lead channels but how is the clean channel?

I'm leaning towards a Blue Stripe but depending on what you guys have to say a Green Stripe might actually be better I'm stuck help LOL

Green stripe
R1 Cleaner
R2 Same as R2 red stripe channel very hot?
Lead Channel reshaping??? is it closer to the Red or Blue Stripe?
Power Section same as Blue Stripe (MarkIIc+ sound?)

Blue stripe
Reshaping of R1 ? how?
More aggressive preamp gain ? is that in the rhythm or lead or both?
Power section made to come close to IIC+

I know the differences are very minor and I don't think I can go wrong with either version they will both be killer i'm sure.

Maybe get both and see haha

But seriously any additional info to help me out would be fantastic
what say you?

Thanx a Million, The Jackel

the green has a different power section as the outer tubes are wired in pentode.

I don't really think anyone can answer your question, because they all sound like III and not IIC+. I bet nobody could hear the colour of the stripe unless they made an A/B comparison between the exact same settings in the same room.

Exactly what i was thinking. If you want to sound like a IIC+ you need a IIC+ :D

AustinK said:
If you want to sound like a IIC+ you need a IIC+ :D

+1

Let the MkIII be its own amp without all the comparisons. If you had posted about 3 weeks ago, I could have hooked you up. :D

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=19462

FWIW, the closest sound to the lead channel of a simul C+ that I have ever acheived (from a 3 channel Mark) came from a very early MkIVA. But I had to run all 6L6's in the MkIV to help fatten up its low end to compete with the 6L6/EL-34 setup in the "105 PT" C+. :D

As a very recent convert to the Mark III, I will offer up my opinion if interrested. I just like you first started eyeing the Mark III and then got all caught up in the what stripe is best and what to get and so on.

Mine is a green stripe simul-class which makes it wired in pentode and 25/85 watt selectable and has reverb and the 5 band graphic eq. I swapped the outside 6L6's for EL34's.

What I would do is to try to best determine your needs and then try out as many as you can if that is possible. Do not worry about it sounding like a Mark IIC+ because if that is what you are after then you should get one of those instead.

I would recommend definitely a Simul-Class (whatever stripe) and definitely the 5 band graphic eq. Reverb you can do with or without.
I think whatever stripe you end up with there will definitely be differences but these folks on this forum can tell you all about the different models and the wattages and some tweaks that can be done. I personally think the MKIII is a fantastic sounding amp and I have just scratched the surface. I am having the time of my life in 25 watt mode through a single 12" cab and no pedals, just a guitar straight into the amp!!! What tone!!!
Just get one that sounds good to your ears and I promise you will fall in love. I came from the rectifier camp and this is quite a change for me.
But a great change IMO.

Good Luck.
Kev

I asked Mike Bendinelli this question, If someone wanted to get the a MKlll modded to get more of a C+ lead sound, which stripe would be the best candidate? He said if he had to choose it would be the red stripe. Something to consider, but I agree that a MKlll by itself is a great amp!

CaponeTone said:
I asked Mike Bendinelli this question, If someone wanted to get the a MKlll modded to get more of a C+ lead sound, which stripe would be the best candidate? He said if he had to choose it would be the red stripe. Something to consider, but I agree that a MKlll by itself is a great amp!

Interesting... did he ever go in depth?

Alrighty then. The Green Stripe with the pentode wiring on the outer sockets gives it the beefiest power section in a MK III. To me, this makes it sound closer to the 105 type power sections. Secondly, the Green Stripe does not have the bright reduction cap (C30 -.001) like the other stripe versions which would add a little gain and top end cut. The clean channel also benefits from the power section and is very sweet. It's in a tie for my second favorite Mesa clean with the IIC+. The Lone Star and RK II seem to have the ultimate Mesa clean channels.

I vote Green.

I owned a greenie for a short while, until someone made me an offer that I couldn't refuse. Ed is right about the green stripe having the most beefy power section in a MkIII. With one small exception, the Series 300 model :wink: .

JOEY B. said:
I owned a greenie for a short while, until someone made me an offer that I couldn't refuse. Ed is right about the green stripe having the most beefy power section in a MkIII. With one small exception, the Series 300 model :wink: .

Of course. The 300 is HUGE, but they never made them with the Green Stripes. :twisted: Slaving to a Strategy 400 will have to do....

Amen Brother. I did a re-tube for a local studio on a Simul-395. I slaved out of the 85 C+ and went through four 4X12's and a 2X12. That was the longest re-tube in history because I could not believe how nasty those amps sounded slaved out. It was surreal !!!! :wink:

Latest posts

Back