Need cheap, portable 1x12 cab for MarkV rehearsals. Which?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiveman

Reaction score
Hi folks. Any recommendations for a really cheap, portable 1x12 I can get for use with my Mark V in rehearsals only? I will use my 2x12 horizontal recto when gigging, but I need something I can bring to the rehearsal space and just leave it there. The MarkV would travel with me each time, but I don't want to have to lug the 2x12, too.

Music style is rock, rock-blues, hard-rock, more or less. No metal in this band.

I really just need something that'll work good-enough for practices. The sounds doesn't have to be awesome. Just not suck completely. :) I mean, I was prepared to just use my Digitech GSP1101 processor and go straight into the mixer (not great, but gets the job done), but this complete IDIOT of a space owner thinks that running "pedals" (as he puts it) into the board will damage it. Oh, but he's completely fine letting me bring a small amp and micing it through the mixer. :? I don't want to argue with someone who doesn't understand fundamentals, so I'm reconsidering options to use my Mark V there.

Anyways.... I'm looking to spend the smallest amount of money possible for something that'll get the job done. Worst case scenario, I will bring the 2x12 and leave it there. But it's a shared space with other bands, and I'm not too keen on leaving shiny Mesa stuff lying around. But, I guess, leaving a 2x12 cab is better than leaving the MkV head, I guess.

I've been checking out a few 1x12,s lately. I also used a 2x12 recto cab and love it, but I wanted to go to 2 1x12's for stacking purposes and ease of transport/setup. Tried the Theile C90, Mini Recto (too thin). I've found the Randall Diavlo V30 cab is the best mix of low end and definition. It's a little heavier than some 1x12's due to MDF construction, but sound wise it's my favorite 1x12 right now. Plus it looks pretty nice on stage. they are $300 new, hard to find used. Be careful, some Diavlo cabs have the randall generic speaker, they look the same but no V30. No idea how they sound but I stick with V30's these days.

Thanks for this. I too have been looking at 1x12 cabs. The Diavlo looks interesting enough to try.
Has anyone tried the Mesa 1x12 widebody cab?

Jiveman said:
Hi folks. Any recommendations for a really cheap, portable 1x12 I can get for use with my Mark V in rehearsals only? I will use my 2x12 horizontal recto when gigging, but I need something I can bring to the rehearsal space and just leave it there. The MarkV would travel with me each time, but I don't want to have to lug the 2x12, too.

Music style is rock, rock-blues, hard-rock, more or less. No metal in this band.

I really just need something that'll work good-enough for practices. The sounds doesn't have to be awesome. Just not suck completely. :) I mean, I was prepared to just use my Digitech GSP1101 processor and go straight into the mixer (not great, but gets the job done), but this complete IDIOT of a space owner thinks that running "pedals" (as he puts it) into the board will damage it. Oh, but he's completely fine letting me bring a small amp and micing it through the mixer. :? I don't want to argue with someone who doesn't understand fundamentals, so I'm reconsidering options to use my Mark V there.

Anyways.... I'm looking to spend the smallest amount of money possible for something that'll get the job done. Worst case scenario, I will bring the 2x12 and leave it there. But it's a shared space with other bands, and I'm not too keen on leaving shiny Mesa stuff lying around. But, I guess, leaving a 2x12 cab is better than leaving the MkV head, I guess.

On the Guiat Center used website there is a Mesa 1x12, Krank 1x12, and Egnater 1x12

The Egnater is only $149

There is also a Randall Diavlo for $169

I use a Widebody Closed Back cab with a V30 with my Mark V C90 combo. That's a great cab, and if you don't push the V30 too hard you'll be fine. And, it should sound similar to the 212 Recto you already have. The V30 goes great with the combo's C90.

The Mesa 112 EVM cab is awesome too--I somehow sound up with three of them to use with my DC-3, Mark IIs and Mark IV, lol, so I guess you could say I like them, yeah. :lol:

Bill

Ytsejammer777 said:
Thanks for this. I too have been looking at 1x12 cabs. The Diavlo looks interesting enough to try.
Has anyone tried the Mesa 1x12 widebody cab?

I've been curious about the widebody as well. That's one I have not tried. The only issue there for my purposes is the larger footprint.

4406cuda said:
There is also a Randall Diavlo for $169

FYI - That one on GC used has the generic speaker, can tell by the huge cone in the picture. I was checking it out myself before I bought a second Diavlo V30 1x12

Thanks everybody. You've given me some ideas. I'll keep an eye out on craigslist and other places.

I've enjoyed my Carvin 2x12 cab, and they have a 1x12 as well as a 2x12 vertical that has the footprint of a 1x12. Your Mark V will hang off of either side, but I'm guessing you already knew that it would be too big for any 1x12.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/112V

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/212S

Because I already have a 2x12 and I don't need anything that large or larger. And at some point, this might all end up being stored at my tiny apartment, so the smaller the better.

Latest posts

Back