Need advice before first gig with my new Mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooberizer

Reaction score
I've got an outdoor day gig playing in a very high volume metal band in front of an expected crowd of 2,000 in a few days. I bought a Trem-o-verb a few months back and I'm running it into 2 4x12 Recto cabs. It will be my first show in a long time, the first show with my new band, and the first time with the Trem-o-Verb. In our practice studio I'm getting great tones, but outside I have no idea what to expect, and since this is not a pro gig we're not getting a soundcheck! I've played a lot of gigs in the past with single channel Marshalls which were super simple to dial in. But as those who have done big stage shows know, the sound on stage is very different than what the audience hears. What should I expect with the Mesa? Has anybody got any words of wisdom, advice for the newbie, similar experiences, magical formulas to get the eq dialed in within seconds? Much appreciated.

You might get a bit more mids in the open (possibly more bass too), so I'd check for that. It's probably best to have someone else listen to you in the studio, take notes, and then give you feedback during soundcheck (assuming you have one).

Also, never forget extra tubes & fuses - they may be a pain to carry around, but you'll thank yourself if you happen to need them!

I love outdoor gigs. Dial in what you like, then crank the **** out of it, because the acoustics are best outdoors.

Ditto the spares. I never gig without a spare everything, and several of each of some things, like fuses and tubes, because new tubes can fail quickly, or instantly.

I like well used tubes for spares, because you KNOW they're good.

Best of luck.

TOV's really sound best at their loudest volumes, have fun opening that bad boy up. I would always turn my mids up and bass down when playing high lvls on my distortion channel, also don't forget your send level on your fx loop (if engaged) will have a big effect on how loud the amp will get.

last month was my first gig with a MESA after years of playing with a 5150, so yeah, i too was nervous as heck. so many knobs, so many settings as opposed to the simplicity of a 5150 and the fact that i've come accustomed to it.

but i kept all the settings similar to what i use at rehearsals, even the master volume, and the amp sounded great! much better than at rehearsal. even the drums sounded better (which made us realize that the rehearsal room as a "dead" sound).

you'll be fine. as long as you have a great amp and trust in your ability to play, you'll be okay. show the whole world what a great amp you have!!!

good luck!

Exactly what I needed to hear! Got the extra tubes and fuses covered, worked out some 'sign language' with a buddy who's gonna get right in front of me and help me adjust accordingly, I'll run the cabs side by side instead of stacked, and just go for it. Was just notified that we get to play for an hour! 8)

Absolutely impossible to predict what frequency cancellations/boosts you're getting without a degree in rocket-science :lol:

I'd think that whatever settings you end up with after your outdoor gig would be your "true" settings, from which you will have to compensate for whatever room you play in thereafter....

At least this is the wisdom I've heard which I now regurgitate.

I totally disagree with whomever said the best acoustics are outdoors . I would suggest that if you need to do some tweaking do it in very small increments . The controls on Mesa'actually do work and will color your tone with just slight tweaks . Of course you will notice this when you play indoors more so . Playing indoors will certainly vary from room to room but you will soon find out which rooms you get the best sound in if you playing some rooms on a regular basis . I understand having music outdoors (festivals,etc ..) is fun but for me i hate it . Ive never like the sound outdoors . I would think you would be ok though since will have tons of coverage with two 4X12 boxes .

If there are that many people then you should be relying on the PA to broadcast your sound not stage volume.

Yep, there will be a huge PA. It's the tone, not volume or coverage that I'm concerned with. The last thing I want to do is run a crappy tone into this monster PA they're gonna have. Got lucky, though. The promoter agreed to let is do a down and dirty soundcheck the day before. No PA or drums yet, just guitar/bass amps on the stage so we can dial in our tones.

Latest posts

Back