Need a new guitar for new MARK V!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espmaster1

Reaction score
Hello everyone, so I recently made the jump from the Mark IV to the mark V and haven't looked back yet, and now it is time to upgrade my guitar.

I've had an ESP horizon custom for quite some time and it's meeting it's last days.

I was wondering what high end guitars all you guys recommended. I am aiming for two grand or less. Any one have any recommendations?!
PArticularly ones that sound good with the Mark V in particular?

Thank you!

Also, I heard that passive pup's sound better in this amp than active emg's for example. so if anyone has any hints like that, that would be absolutely amazing.

Depends on what kind of style you play I suppose.

If you vary a Les Paul Studio or Standard would do the trick pretty well. The only real difference between the two is the flashy top, binding and tuners.

If you're more of a metal player I HIGHLY recommend one of the early models of the Ibanez RGA prestige. 121 or 321. Not the 121H.

Fixed bridge, maple top, slick playing neck, put in pick-ups to taste.

One of the guitarists in my band just bought a Charvel Sam Dimas and stock it sounds and plays phenomenally. Comes with a SD 59 neck and JB for the bridge.

I always go with Seymour Duncan pickups. Again, if you're general rock player either the 59' or the SH-2 Jazz Model in the neck and for the bridge you could go with a JB or even a PAF, which even sounds awesome clean.

For a metal player, the neck can stay the same, but SH-5 custom custom is a little hotter. Even still, a JB would still do the job well.

You will find that there will be an excessive amount of push from the Petrucci disciples to replicate his gear. Do yourself a favour and find what works for you.

Thanks so much for the info already guys, I definitely should have been more specific originally I apologize, a little caught up in the moment :)

I play rock, as heavy as dream theater, and light as Eric Johnson.
I'm also getting more into fusion as well, so between rock and fusion is what I generally play. I was thinking about the petrucci models, but the neck on them seem a little thin, that's also why I have an issue with the ibanez's, they always seem thin to me.

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to know about Carvin's? I'd probably get a custom shop, but does anyone own any Carvin's that they swear by? DO they make quality products?

I've also been thinking about finding a used Suhr guitar >.< Any opinions on those?

Also, I heard that passive pup's sound better in this amp than active emg's for example. so if anyone has any hints like that, that would be absolutely amazing.[/quote]

Not Really, I have A few guitars with active and passive also and all my guitars sound great with the mark V and all are low end guitars.

I would recommend you take your amp to a guitar center and play different brands and different pick ups and I bet you will find the right one.
Look for one that sounds and feels good.
Good Luck

shogun said:
SUHR... used if you can't afford a new one

Hey Shogun, love your videos but that's besides the point.

I know you are experienced with Suhr so I figured I'd ask you.

I want 24 frets and humbuckers, but do they only come on the modern's? Because I can't afford $3500. Is there a way I could get those two things with a cheaper model?

espmaster1 said:
I heard that passive pup's sound better in this amp than active emg's for example. so if anyone has any hints like that, that would be absolutely amazing.

You heard wrong! I have blackouts in one of my axes and they sound incredible. My buddy played his LP with EMG's in it through my MV last night and it sounded great as well (CH 3) ... although I think blackouts destroy EMG's. With a volume roll off the blackouts are way more versatile then you would think an active pup can be.

i like both passive and active on my amp. Just gotta play with the presence a bit to get it soundin just right but other than that i hardly change any settings from passive 7s to active 6's

You asked about Carvins. They make a high quality product. I have an all koa DC. The necks are nice and play smoothly. My biggest gripe is that they tend to sound somewhat bright and thin, at least on the neck-through-body guitars. If you go with one of these, get a mahogany or koa neck, not maple. Also, be prepared to replace Carvin's pickups with something better. I put in a Liquifire and Crunch Lab in my DC, which greatly improved the tone. Still, my Music Man JP6 is my main guitar. I think it sounds and plays better than the Carvin, though the Carvin is prettier (thanks to the flamed koa top).

I hold my Carvins as high as my PRS as far as quality, playability, tone and looks! Pickups are so- so, but you can order it any way you like and its half the cost of a PRS CUSTOM! My gibson Les Paul isn't doesn't even compair! Gibsons quality is terrible if you ask me. Its hit or miss with them! Love my Music Man Silhouette! Heard a lot of good things about the Carvin bolt on series! Oh, and by the way, I'll have my Mark V in a week or so! Been playin thru my Trem o Verb for 16 years and I owned a Mark IIb before that. Love EMGs thru the Recto but loved the JB thru the Mark.

Music Man! My JP6 sounds killer through the Mark V, like they were designed for one another. The piezo sounds amazing through the V's clean channel. Not to mention it has the best non-locking trem you will ever play. Of course, I'm biased! If you get a color other than Mystic Dream, you can get them under 2K brand new all day. As far as actives, I have an EMG 81/S/S combo in one of my Strats and it sounds amazing. I have had no difficulties with Active's with the Mark V at all. As a personal preference, I do like passives better though.

16240_1088219944294_1790319121_1685.jpg

MKV is tweakable to find a nice tone, to my rock/metal ears for all my guitars. USA Strat - bone stock, early 90's IbZ540 - stock pups, SG w/Dimarzio SD neck and X2N bridge (excellent with MKV), ESP Skully EMG passives, MMJP6 - favorite guitar.

I don't have any CD's by Dream Theater or Petrucci. Not a prog rock or Petrucci fanboy. I bought the JP6 because of how well it plays and I did my demo time with it on a MKV. Excellent match for this amp. The piezo pup in the JP6 is one of the best. Running it out into a clean amp with the mag pup into the MKV Tweed sounds good to me. Stereo guitar capability is nice for flexiblility, but to have that in an excellent guitar sold me.

Can't find a Suhr to play in this town. A PRS McCarty will probably find it's way home with me some day. I have tried many Les Pauls, owned a few, the McCarty covers that base for me. The Ibanez Artist used guitars are great for classic rock. Played one at Guitar Center, $675, again thru the MKV. I should have bought it. GREAT sounding guitar. If you need to look like one of the cool kids, that one is off the table.

I don't have any CD's by Dream Theater or Petrucci. Not a prog rock or Petrucci fanboy. I bought the JP6 because of how well it plays and I did my demo time with it on a MKV. Excellent match for this amp. The piezo pup in the JP6 is one of the best. Running it out into a clean amp with the mag pup into the MKV Tweed sounds good to me. Stereo guitar capability is nice for flexiblility, but to have that in an excellent guitar sold me.

Nicely said, you don't have to be a Petrucci fan to know that this is an outstanding guitar. Forgot to mention previously, the neck on the JP6 is crazy awesome! Love the look and feel of Birds-eye maple.

I have one these and it sound awesome through my mark V, it is chambered , but what really makes it sing is swapping out the duncans that were in it for the Liquifire and crunch lab!!!
miragecustom.jpg

I'd think about PRS (Custom24/Standard24/CE24), Suhr (Standard/Modern) and MusicMan (JP6/JP7).
Each of those should sound great with the MKV and is versatile enough for all its modes and sounds and should fit for your playing styles...

espmaster1 said:
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to know about Carvin's? I'd probably get a custom shop, but does anyone own any Carvin's that they swear by? DO they make quality products?

I've also been thinking about finding a used Suhr guitar >.< Any opinions on those?

love mine suhr Pro series S6
suhrproseriesS6005.jpg

good luck finding the guitar that is for you :wink:

I use my JP6 almost exclusively with my Mark V, and it seems to fit perfectly and the Crunchlab and Liquifire just give the perfect amount of clarity to cut thru the gain of this amp. My other guitar doesn't seem to like the massive gain of the Mk V as much and has a little bit of fizziness with it. I am waiting on my Jem77BRMR to arrive this week and will see how that runs thru the V. I am sure with the Dimarzios it will sound awesome.
My advice is to go try the amp out with many different guitars and see what you like the best. For me the JP6 is it, as it seems to have every base covered.

Back