Neck on my Les Paul Studio keep getting tacky, help pls?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mizati20

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a small problem with the neck on my Alpine White Les Paul Studio... after playing for about 10 or 15 minutes the neck starts to get tacky... I have tried washing my hands before playing, which I thought was rediculous because I've never had to do that with any other guitar. Anyway, I can wipe the neck down, I don't have to use any cleaner of any sort, just my Dunlop guitar sham, and it cleans up nice, but will get tacky again after playing. The guitar is a 2006, is it possible that the finish needs some type of renewal? I don't know the process of painting/sealing guitars, so I wouldnt know what to call it, the finish? the clearcoat, anyhow, does that sound like the problem? And if that is the case, how big of a deal is it to get this taken care of? Is it something I can do myself or better left to a professional? And what does something like this cost? You guys are always a big help and I am addicted to these boards, so thanks in advance for all the help i KNOW that I will receive, cheers fellas.

funny, I have had the same trouble with my ebony 02 standard. i always got the feeling like my hands got dirty and something was sticking to my fingers.

I will not recommend to do what i did, but I have the perfect neck and guitar now.

first to clean the whole neck - fingerboard and painted backside - with nailpolish remover. very very careful, the finish is easily removed by the aceton. i had to do that two times to rework my first bad attempt. the result is the painted side of the neck got smooth and fast, still shiny finish but not tacky anymore. actually you cannot really see (but feel) a difference to the factory finish.

the fretboard i sanded thoroughly with the green side of a dishsponge, to get rid of the disturbing wood structure. the mahogany fretboard has a clean and even surface now, absolutely soft and easy to bend strings. after that i bathed the fingerboard many times with oil over night at least four times, you will not believe how thirsty the wood was.

after a few days of drying i polished the neck for an afternoon with a hard hairbrush and cotton cloths (old jeans) by hand until my arms got lame.

my neck is "wow" now. the wood looks fat and shiny like an old piece of waxed and brushed mahogany should, no tacky feeling and i believe the "neck speed" improved as well. the guitars sustain was already comparable to a grand piano, with the new neck feeling its an outstanding instrument now.

Ive used soap and water, my sham, and dunlop's guitar cleaner and polisher, even waxed it.....my point is EVERYTHING cleans it up, but only for about the first 15 minutes of play, then it's back to being all tacky. The best way I know how to describe it is when a tylenol or some type of geltab pill gets tacky when its old. Kinda like that, everything I use will clean it, whether it be a solution, or a simple wipe down, but after I play again for about 15 minutes, were back at square one, that's why I was wondering if it had something to do with the actual finish of the guitar maybe getting worn out.... what you think?

yes, absolutely, water and soap does not work. thats why i tried the hard way with the polish remover. and it worked for me. maybe it hardened the finish.

Wait so Im confused, what do I need to do to fix it? ADD polish, or use Polish remover? I don't feel like I should be removing anything, I feel like I should be adding a better finish or something.

like you said, i also got the feeling like the laquer/finish is not dry yet or is releasing something that makes my hands feel dirty or gives the tacky feeling. i also had the impression the stringware was reduced, strings got dirty and worn out more early.

i have tried to clean the neck, exactly like you, with all kinds of guitar polishes, cleaners etc. - no way!

my last solution was to try NAILPOLISH remover (also called aceton) from my wife's beauty case. i put the remover on cotton wool pads and gently cleaned the neck on the back and fretboard side.

be CAREFUL the laquer finish will be softened by that, do it gently and only one time, after that let it dry for a while. this done twice removed all "tackyness". combined with the fine grinding of the fretboard (factory setting was a bit too rough) and sealing with oil the neck improved by far.

good luck!

fatoni said:
soap and water...sometimes those polishes just dont work.

NO

DO NOT USE SOAP AND WATER ON A NITRO FINISH.

Nitro can be sticky. USUALLY it will dry out over time. HOWEVER in some climates and under some peoples individual body chemistry it will continue to be tacky for a real long time.

My secret on nitro finishes is to use the Fender polish system...it is a bunch of Meguiars stuff and for some reason it seems to kill sticky nitro finishes. I have used it at the coast when I lived by the water and in my current location...which is pretty much desert. You can give it a try, I cant guarantee it but I swear by the stuff.

Once again, NEVER take soap and water to your Nitro finish...or any guitar really.

Firstly do you keep your guitar in the case all the time? If so try leaving on the stand for a few months. I don't know why but nitro finishes don't like to be left in cases. They need air to cure and trust me nitro takes years not days to fully cure.

If you do leave it out of the case consistently. I recommend talcum powder on your hand before playing. Or you could take a 2000 or 3000 grit wet sandpaper to your neck. If you do this only do it slightly. Do not go through the finish your just want to slightly break the surface.

This will aspirate the surface and help some of the chemicals in the nitro escape. If you do that keep it on a guitar stand for a few months. To let the nitro exasperate some and cure.

I don't know if you are a member of the Lilly LP forum but I'd recommend you join. (you have to be a member to view most of the posts) there are a lot of LP pros on that sight. Who can give you insight on your LP. And I've seen your question posted there many times.

Good luck,
Dave,

You could try a little bit of lighter fluid. Do a test spot first. Use just enough on a clean dry lint free cloth to give it a wipe down but not a scrubbing.

I have sanded necks down before, but this is probably something you are looking to avoid doing...

Mizati20 said:
Wait so Im confused, what do I need to do to fix it? ADD polish, or use Polish remover? I don't feel like I should be removing anything, I feel like I should be adding a better finish or something.

As I have , try the gibson forums also . I got a good F*C*ing on an Alex lifeson es-355 , but maybe there is a problem with that years finish .
Its worth some research at gibson , or even email them at the customer support . They will get back to you . In my case they did but only covered up a major error on the neck .
I forget which factories make what models but all alpine white finished guitars are finished in the factory that does NOT do the regular finishes for the LES PAUL custom shops ect . That makes it easier to narrow down.
/ Best to you

want the glossy clean feeling - get the nail polish remover from your wifey's beauty case!

since then my LP ebony standard neck is a dream.

My LP gets tacky after a while too..I use the Dunlop cleaner. Spray some on the neck then rub the neck with a good amount of force (not too much though) with a polishing cloth. At gigs I usually use spit.

Latest posts

Back