NAD: Roadster Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Roadster is one of the top three or four amps Mesa has ever made in my opinion. It covers a ton of ground and well.

I had considered the Triple Rectifier as well as the new born Dual Rectifier. However, I did not want to use an effects pedal for reverb. The Roadster reverb circuit does more than what a pedal will do, alter the characteristic of the reverb circuit depending on the channel used. I have not noticed the fade-out and fade-in of the reverb circuit as much as it is prevalent with the Mark V. I guess most consider this Lag.

I will definitely have to give the hard-bypass a try. So far I have been using it with the effects loop active (Prefer the master volume).

Now that I have the Mark V combo set up with a 1x12 extension cab I can run both amps at the same time. I do not mind that I converted the Mark V to a combo. I think it sound better in that form with an open back enclosure. Both the extension cab and combo are open back enclosures, both housing the EVM12L black label (same as what I have in the 412 in use with the Roadster head). The open back cabs allow for less compression of the sound and the clean channel is amazing, as is everything else.

Hmm, I wonder if I can get quadraphonic sound with all for Mesa amps running simultaneously. :roll: Now thinking of ideas how to accomplish this.

Hey Bandit

Would be interested in your view of the Roadster with EL34's, and how it compares to the RA 100

I've been gassing after an RA for a while, but think I get that ground well covered with =C= EL34's under the Roadster hood. Makes the amp less dark and a lot more versatile through my rig - 6L6's were too bassy, particularly on CH4

Blanket lifted with the help of 34's and an EQ reset. Only downside is CH4 Modern which gets buzzy as gain goes up, but both other modes seem to thrive with 34's

Chester,
That is a tough comparison. For starters, the RA clean channel is where the magic is. With EL34 (and I am using =c= in the RA) sounds almost like a 6L6GC tone. There is depth to the clean channel. Depending on preamp tubes in V4 and V5 it can either become too dark, not an easy task to brighten it up, I tried. The JJ (Mesa Branded) tubes sound really good for the clean channel which is completely independent from the Hi/Lo channel. The vintage Chinese Mesa tubes are by far the best. The RA is tuned to provide maximum headroom in both channels at 100W power. With the power soak, you can dial in power tube saturation at a cost of total output volume. I generally run -3db or no power soak. At 100W with or without the power soak, the clean channel is similar to the Roadster with 6L6GC (Mesa STR440 and stock Mesa 12AX7A preamp tubes). Plenty of low end with the clean channel (reason why V30's are preferred). When pushing the gain, it gets close to the character of the Roadster in Brit mode with tube rectifier tracking and 6L6GC. However, there are more upper mid frequencies present and no presence control with the RA. I did load up the Roadster with EL34's to compare. It is extremely difficult to match the clean channel character of the RA100 (even harder with the power soak active). Now for the Hi/Lo of the RA100, this channel is extremely bright and very brittle with the JJ (current Mesa tubes). A bit more compression is desired (vintage Mesa works great V1 and V2), similar effect can be made with Mullard reissues or Tung Sol 12AX7. That being said, the Roadster comes very close to that gain structure in CH3 raw or vintage voicing, Note: with tube rectifier tracking sounds the closest. CH4 is much darker even with the EL34. I tried it with silicon diode tracking and it was too tight. I believe the RA100 has some sag built in to the gain structure, however the power supply is all silicon diodes, no variac or alternate windings on the power transformer either.

In other words, you will get close to the RA100 with the SED =C= EL34 as long as you have each channel set for tube rectifier tracking. The RA100 is an amp that you really need to spend some time with, as it is not for everyone. There are only two basic tones, clean or crunch, with a more vintage tone and gain structure. I did not try the spongy (variac) power setting of the Roadster, I kept it in Bold as the RA100 does not have a reduced AC source capability. There are some other differences too, the output transformer is bigger than that on the Roadster or Mark V. The filament transformer pales in comparison. (not sure if the OP is a Mercury Magnetics transformer, it almost takes up the bulk of space in the head, slight exaggeration but it is really big OPT).

The Roadster sounded great with the EL34's. The only sacrifice was in the two clean channels. What I did not do, was use the cabinet I am driving with the RA100. Tone may be closer with the V30's in the smaller cabinet. Believe it or not, the EV's do come close but lack the hump of moderate mids. The RA100 was not appealing with the EV speakers, way too dark of an amp which does not need any more low end support). The Roadster also has far more gain capacity than the RA100. I have tried the RA100 with 6L6GC and it sounded thin, go figure, that is the same result I got with EL34 in the Mark V. The Roadster, sounded good with either as it did not matter much. Also, one thing you cannot obtain with the RA100, a pristine and bell chime like clean channel, so no dry and airy acoustic tone from the RA100. Yes I did try it with an open back cabinet, could not get that natural acoustic tone that I can get from the Mark V or Mark IV. The RA100 is all about blues, jazz, and especially that classic rock sound from the 60's from Hywatt to the early Marshall Plexi stacks of the probably pushing Fane ALNO speakers or other. The RA100 with a traditional sized cabinet loaded with the Mesa stock V30's is the way to get there. It you demo the amp, make sure you turn off the power soak (switch on front) or if you want to try it out, set the knobs on the back to -3dB). Also insist on using a Mesa V30 equipped cabinet. I got the RA100 though Ebay, but I did try it out at a Mesa dealer first (but it was through an Orange straight 412 cab which sounded bland). I may eventually upgrade the 412 to a better quality cabinet but for $250.00 it actually sounds great even though it is not quite a Mesa spec cabinet). At the time, I was uncertain what I was going to use, since I had the V30's, all I needed was an empty cabinet. The Egnator cab was under my budget, and was easy to gut the cab to install the V30's.

bandit2013 said:
Considering how close the Roadster sounds to the RA100, I probably would not miss the RA100 if I did not have it. However, I do enjoy the RA100.

Thanks for the input - I thought this could be the outcome. That said, if I can find a used head in good condition (UK spec), I may join the RA owners club as well :mrgreen:

The RA has its place. If you are into that vintage tone, the RA does it quite well. Keep in mind the clean channel of the RA100 has more of a fender on steroids tone (assuming they ever used an EL34 which I doubt they ever did.) You will not be able to dial in a super clean (meaning dry and acoustic guitar sound, usually an open back cab with a speaker that has a wide frequency response will do that quite well coupled with a Mark V, Mark IV, not sure about the Roadster, has a nice clean too but have not tried it with open back cab). Yes the videos on Mesa website are very accurate in how the amp will sound with a traditional 412 stuffed with England Made V30's. Not sure how Fane Medusa 150C would sound. I was longing for them but the US rep who sold them dropped the line. I did try the RA100 through a Fane AXA Studio 12L that is in my Mark IV, it was okay, similar to EV. The V30's sounded the best with the RA. The Clean channel clips really well for that 60's vibe. -3db at 100W is my nirvana on the clean channel, moderately high gain setting, pushed treble and volume with backed off bass. Same for the Hi/Lo channel but the opposite, pushed mid and bass and backed off treble. In 50W mode it only gets better in terms of power tube saturation. Don't bother with 6L6GC in the RA, it will pale in comparison to EL34's.

It has been almost a month. This amp gets better with familiarity. I can't stop playing (I can since I am typing this, I got hungry so I stopped to get something to eat... 8) ) So I wonder why did the first Roadster I tried out 2 years ago sounded terrible? Oh wait, the person who let me into the locked room did not know anything about Mesa Boogie other than they sound good. The Mark V was familiar to the Mark IV so was easy for me to dial in something I liked. The Roadster on the other hand sounded BLAH. Well I guess monkeys can type and write a novel in a few minutes, and I can easily dial in a hard rock tone without any means of help on an amp I have no clue how to use.

I had faith that this amp would not disappoint when I ordered it from Sweetwater. Of course I read the manual inside and out, had to use the manual for suggested settings to get started, and holy crap this amp rocks :shock:

Also would thank many who had chimed in to answer a question or two. Lots of information worth sifting through in the Rectifier forums. That actually helped pull the trigger on getting the Roadster. :D

bandit2013!!! hi Sir, guess what? I'm between the Roadster and the Mark V and really want your opnion (I read this thread completely so I already have an idea), cause I guess that you're not biased to one or the other (and have them both)... so...

This is my usual tone, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqC6HOplQMY, What do you think would be more suitable for me? I play thrash but do like versatility.

My questions:
1- reliability (in theory I think the Roadster would be a little better, the mark has so much things that can go wrong)
2- sound cranked (think Roadster beats the hell out of the Mark from what I've heard, so much power on top)
3- low volumen response (for home practice I think that the mark takes the cake here, more power options and better sound suitable to that specific situation)
4- solo tone (fluid sound - Mark takes it here but, how well the Roadster perform? good enough?)
5- versatility (both are, so no inquiries there)

I really like to hear from you cause I depend on the internet to take a serious decision like this, I cant check them up for myself, they are not avaliable here.

I think I lean towards the Roadster today (it changes every day :? )

blackoutshred said:
My questions:
1- reliability (in theory I think the Roadster would be a little better, the mark has so much things that can go wrong)
2- sound cranked (think Roadster beats the hell out of the Mark from what I've heard, so much power on top)
3- low volumen response (for home practice I think that the mark takes the cake here, more power options and better sound suitable to that specific situation)
4- solo tone (fluid sound - Mark takes it here but, how well the Roadster perform? good enough?)

1. no issues with either amp in over 4 years
2. MKV is more forward and projects better than the Roadster, but the DR does the wall of sound thing better than most amps i have owned
3. 10W in the MKV is excellent, but so is master vol for the Roadster in the studio - both work extremely well
4. agreed, but the Roadtser with a good OD pedal gets there also (very different response though)
5. agreed, but both DNA are very different

I'd get the DR for thrash if that is mostly your thing

Roadster Lead Tone - Channel 3, Vintage Mode, Rectifier Tracking, 100 watts
Gain: 2:00 - 3:00
Treble: 10:00 -11:00
Mid: 10:00 -11:00
Bass: 12:00 or lower
Presence: Off
Master: It all depends on whether the FX Loop is engaged or not.

I copied this from another user and and only make slight adjustments occasionally. No boost pedal needed. I'm using a Roadster 2x12 Combo by the way.

I fear looking at the Mesa web site in case they make another great amplifier that can top the Roadster, Mark V or the RA-100 since I really do not want to part with either of them. Perhaps the Mark IV but I would regret losing that amp as I did the Mark III. It is hard to decide what amp to start with as it seems once I sit down and start playing though one, the others do not matter..... I really like the Roadster but equally as well as the Mark V despite the issues I have had with it. The RA-100 on the other hand can take me away anytime when I am feeling blue even though it only has two channels (one with a dual mode) it has its place.

If I played strictly classic rock and or focused on jazz and blues the RA-100 would be top dog, but then again the Roadster has it covered too. Similar with the Mark V.

Actually all three amps are competing for my attention. Then there is the dilemma of what guitar to use.

bandit2013 said:
Actually all three amps are competing for my attention. Then there is the dilemma of what guitar to use.

Having a similar discussion with my wife, who really doesn't think I need more gear, led me to thinking seriously about what I would keep if I had to downsize to 1 amp and 2 guitars

Given all the choices I have, I couldn't make a decision - all have their personalities and quirks I told myself. And having spent 2 decades getting to where I am in my tone quest, I convinced myself that I could justify keeping 13 guitars and 4 amps. Period.

Fact is, if I had any one of the amps and guitars I am lucky enough to own, I would have most bases covered. The rest have been about giving in to my GAS addiction ... as the boss keeps reminding me

I do have one guitar on my get list. It is one instrument I do not have yet (aside from guitars with more than 6 strings of which I have no interest). I have been resisting the urge for a semi-hollow due to the much higher cost of the one I am considering, besides I have yet to find one I like ( I do have my eye on a Carvin SH550). I have tried a few others in some of the Guitar shops I visit from time to time, never could get myself to get one as most of them seem a bit off in quality or is damaged due to abuse or something else is wrong with it.

I have finally began dialing in my own tone with the Roadster. Actually I have been attempting to get similar tone of the Mark V (Crunch, Mark 1, or the Extreme setting character). Getting close but what actually made the difference was the 5 Band EQ pedal. Just writing this makes me want to go into the studio (converted bedroom) and get back too it. I have spent some time with the other channels too. Still difficult to duplicate the pristine clean of the Mark V or Mark IV with a 412 cabinet. The Mark IV was tops since it is a combo, but after converting the Mark V to a combo, that dry acoustic tone that can easily be dialed in is amazing. Open cabinet helps. Also have been trying to dial in similar tone that I can get with the RA100. As with all of the amps, I can get close but not close enough. I could not narrow down what amp I would keep if I could only have one and not the others. I would definitely have triple regret. I still miss the Mark III for the quality of sound that amp produced despite the nuisance of having to change the dials in order to enjoy the different channels. That amp was by far the best for that bluesy tone as well as a monster for the hard rock.

I am very pleased with the Roadster. I have finally found time to run the amp for more than a few hours. Not a single issue in channel switching. Before I shut down the amp I decided to do the finger test on the chassis (filament transformer, chassis metal, OT). Considering the amount of convective thermal energy passing through the vent on top of the amp, the chassis was just warm to the touch and nothing alarming was found. The first two months of use of the Mark V, the chassis would get so hot I could not touch it. Even the speaker cable jacket was getting soft. (so much for an inverted chassis with the tubes on the bottom, fan or no fan the Mark V was hotter than an easy bake oven when using recommended power tubes. That seemed to change with SED =C= 6L6GC or Gold Lion KT77 as it runs cooler with the proper power tubes. A huge improvement in thermal management was converting the head to a combo, speaker actually moves air in the combo cavity thus improving heat transfer away from the chassis.)

So far I have been able to get some interesting tones from this amp. I have yet to attempt to match a specific tone other than say Led Zepplin or Deep Purple. If I was really into the modern Heavy metal (Metallica, or whatever) I am sure I would share what ever settings I use to get there. I am basically still getting used to the amp and its characteristics.

Speakers do make a difference. Since I have two 412 cabs (one loaded with EV and the other with V30) I can say the EV is a better choice. Running both cabs at the same time is also great but the V30 cab by itself seems muffled or lame. On the Contrary, the RA100 so far is the only amp I care to run the V30's with and seems lame with the EV cab. :|

:shock: Operating the Mark V in parallel to the Roadster is out of this world. I have attempted to parallel the RA100 with the Roadster yet (or the Mark IV).

blackoutshred said:
bandit2013!!! hi Sir, guess what? I'm between the Roadster and the Mark V and really want your opnion (I read this thread completely so I already have an idea), cause I guess that you're not biased to one or the other (and have them both)... so...

This is my usual tone, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqC6HOplQMY, What do you think would be more suitable for me? I play thrash but do like versatility.

My questions:

I really like to hear from you cause I depend on the internet to take a serious decision like this, I cant check them up for myself, they are not avaliable here.

I think I lean towards the Roadster today (it changes every day :? )

:| Blackoutshred, I am sorry I missed the link in your post. :D Awesome riffs there, Nice looking guitar too. Also like the Marshall Cab you have. A few decades ago I almost could play as good as you did in the video. Too bad I smashed my left hand and ripped tendons in the left elbow. I have been slowly progressing back to my skill level before the injury but have some difficulty. I gave up entirely 10 years ago but got back into it in 2012 since I found I could tolerate the pain of re-learning how to play again. I must be taking it seriously since 2 years ago all I had was a Mark IV and a single guitar. Now that has changed dramatically. Now I stick with Blues and Classic Rock, building up as I go I guess. Fingers do not move quite like they used too, and getting older has not helped with that either.

The Roadster would be perfect for your playing style over the Mark V. I expect you will be using CH3 most of the time since it offers the brighter characteristic but yet delivers a wide range of gain. Even in modern mode you can set the amp up for a moderate gain and use the volume control on the guitar to tame it for clarity. It will take some getting used to so definitely explore various settings with the amp. Trust me, it is in there. I have had the amp since June and I am really loving it. There seems to be more to this amp than I ever expected. It makes the Mark V seem limited in comparison. Many others in the forums said I would be very happy with the Roadster, they were RIGHT. Why I passed this amp up the when I went to buy it 2 years ago, not quite sure but I am pleased I have it now.

I decided to change things up a bit. Everyone claims a Tung Sol will open up the top end some or at least liven up the tone. So why not two? I pulled out my box of various preamp tubes and swapped V1 and V2 with Tung Sol 12AX7. While I was at it, why not go with a matched and balanced triode in V6 (Sovtek 12ax7LPS). That woke up the amp a bit. However, the low end still seemed to drown in CH4. I finally decided to use the new set of SED =C= 6L6GC. I have not tried them in this amp since I specifically ordered them for a hot bias for use in the Mark V. Apparently they sounded incredible in the Roadster. No more low end drone in CH4. The change in overall character was like getting a new amp all over again. The Change in power tubes opened up the sound scape even farther than I anticipated. I played for a while and waited for the tubes to cool down. I wanted to verify it was the power tubes and not the changes in the three preamp tubes. I put the originals back in and confirmed it was the SED =C= that made a world of difference. Before the change I was having difficulty using the Modern voice for anything but metal tones. Did the usual check with all of the other modes in each channel. Experimented with different guitars to further support my reason for change. The Mesa STR440 sounded good, but the SED =C= 6L6GC sound better.

This evening I decided to return the original tubes back in the Roadster. The SED =C= did sound nice as well as the Tung Sol tubes. I actually found the original power tubes as well as all of the Mesa 12AX7 gave me the tone I desired more. Led Zeppelin and ACDC songs sound better with the Mesa tubes. I prefer the dark tone of the amp compared to the additional chime and spirit provided by the SED =c= tubes. So much for experimenting.

I just put a set of Mesa EL34's in my Roadster this weekend. Man, it really tightened the amp up quite a bit.

Latest posts

Back