NAD: MKIII Red Stripe Combo - Speaker questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heady Jam Fan

Reaction score
Hey guys - I am the proud new owner of a Red Stripe Simul Class with GEQ and Rev in a Combo!

I really like the EVM12L, but I am thinking about trying some other speakers too. I am a big Phish fan (among other things), but wanted to try out some speakers similar to a Celestion Blue and I was hoping for suggestions.

I usually run on 'class a' or '15 watts' but kinda doubt either of those descriptions are accurate - it isnt class a in my understanding and sounds way louder than 15 watts - I would not feel safe putting a Celestion Blue in it. I was thinking of trying a Gold - while its warmer than the blue, it is still probably the closest match in a safer power handling range. I doubt I will need to blast the amp in the simul class mode, but I still worry about the amp damaging such an expensive speaker - not to mention I don't want the speaker to distort too much and definitely don't want any cone cry.

I am also considering the Weber Alnico Blue Dog (I like the compression from Alnico and Weber is an awesome company) and I heard a few good things about the WGS Blackhawk. I have an Eminence Red Fang, but I really don't think it would handle the amp - even in the 'class a' setting, it is louder than my BF Bassman and that thing could make a Red Fang cry.

Have any of you tried any of these? Preferences? Will a Gold be the best or should I play it safe with something like a 100watt Weber?

Thanks in advance!
Jon

I found out the Cone Cry I was getting with my BF Bassman (which I am now selling) and Red Fang was a combination of a few mal-adjusted other parts of my rig (pickup height by a mm or two, delay pedal, etc) - I realized I was able to recreate it with my MKIII w/ EVM12L with the volume low on the 15watt setting, clearly not cone cry....

Anyway, I ran the MKIII through the Red Fang, adjusted the bass and enjoyed sweet, chimey tones!

Latest posts

Back