NAD: Mesa Boogie Mark VII head. WOW

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that has been noted here before. I also noticed it that the presence really does a lot more than on other amps. Presence on the VII seems to increase volume and drive also.

Does anyone have any good settings they’ve found on IIB mode? That mode I haven’t been using so much.

I have not used it much either. IIB is not as heavy gain as IIC+ or IV mode. It seems a bit out of place but in the matrix of things, it is just the lead drive circuit with one stage bypassed. To me it is more of a clean drive or vintage overdrive sound. Setting the gain too high will not be effective. As for the VII mode, it is related to the crunch mode in some ways. It is basically the full lead drive circuit re-mapped to be inserted in front of the tone stack for that channel. I did look up the IIB schematic, it is very close to that of the Mark VII if you cut out the first stage of the lead drive circuit. (this is just based on the tube task chart).

Interesting. Sweetwater no longer has a listing for the Mark V90 head. I found one for the Mark V90 combo but that is it. Also note that the Mesa website has the price reduced on the V90. I think the phase out will happen sooner than later. Will see.

Yes, that has been noted here before. I also noticed it that the presence really does a lot more than on other amps. Presence on the VII seems to increase volume and drive also.

Does anyone have any good settings they’ve found on IIB mode? That mode I haven’t been using so much.
Depends on what you want to do with it. I have dialed it in for a heavy hard rock/metal tone similar to a slo style. Basically run the gain at 2-3 o'clock, presence around 2 o'clock, treble mid and bass to taste and hit it hard with a Tube screamer to cut some of the lows back out. Works great for a spongier heavy tone. I've also used it for a low gain clean like a Rolling Stones style setting and have found it to work really well for that also.

I got up too early this morning so I decided to rearrange the studio. I was curious how the Mark VII would fair with the STR447 EL34 tube. Well, lets just say it was different than I expected. I had made the assumption that the EL34 would sound more like the Mark V90 with same tube. No fat chance that will happen. There was not much of a dramatic change with the EL34 in the Mark VII. The big difference was a gain in note clarity, not as muffled as the 6L6 STR445 ( I dropped those down to the yellow bias color for some improvement). Sure the midrange content may be different but I did not take notice to that EL34 tone I expected to hear. It sounded like I was still running the 6L6 tube. I suppose the voice of the STR445 is more 6CA7 toned than I realize. So, with the EL34 in the grey bias color (not sure that really matters) I was delighted to hear this bold low end, nice midrange content and top end was more controlled, not harsh or shrill sounding. Mind you these tubes had spent some time in the TC100 so they were well broken in. I swapped them out thinking they were going south but it turns out it was the 12AT7 in the TC that was adding to that grief. Anyhow, the Mark VII sounds really good with the EL34 power tubes. I am impressed. Almost felt it was a bit louder but that could be due to the change in headroom or gain response of the EL34. 90W, 45W and 25W were all good. I felt there was more of a notable difference in loudness from the 90W to 45W running the EL34 tubes. With the 6L6 it was almost hard to tell. Not sure how long the EL34 tubes would last in the Mark VII as there is no variac power modes. Usually when the manual say you can use EL34 tubes with the bias switch set to EL34, but keep plenty of spares on hand as they are not as reliable as the 6L6 tubes. Too bad, I thought they actually sounded better. Odd, when I tried the other Mesa branded 6L6 tubes, the amp took on a boxy tone. The STR445 tubes seem to correct for that tone. Not boxy at all and retained the same character with the EL34 tubes as it has with the STR445. Something learned today so I have that to consider if the STR445 tubes become difficult to get.

"Ok folks, is time to Polka, Polka, Polka", those were the worse words I ever heard as a kid if I fell asleep while my parents were watching TV, it was usually PBS. Sort of reminds me of a Joke someone told me, actually it was my father, "what is the definition of perfect pitch?" It is the sound a banjo makes when hitting an accordion at the bottom of a dumpster. Without going into a full fledged backstory, there was one thing I do remember from growing up and the countless hours of being forced to listen to Classical music. Not only did the musicians have talent, but some of those instruments provided sounds of authority, some sort of raspy voice almost akin to distortion of sorts. I am not savvy on classical instruments, and never will be unless it has 4 to 12 strings on it and can be amplified.

Anyhow, the purpose for the post is to prepare you for another Mesa Boogie Product announcement.:cool: Not saying it will happen but it seems to occur after I spend lots of money on something I probably do not need. :rolleyes: It is usually just a coincidence when I decide to buy a second amp for that stereo sound. Why am I assuming this will happen? The Mark VII was announced just shortly after I bought my second Badlander 100W amp after they inflated the price. Really, you tell me about this now? :confused:

I am waiting for the arrival of a second Mark VII. I was disappointed with the first one but not in the context of its performance or characteristics, more so with the midi command structure. The reason behind the decision was to go stereo and make use of the Daisy chain with the two amps with a single midi cable and make use of one footswitch. That trick works great with the two TC amps but there is a trade-off as one is 100W and the other is 50W. The Multi-soak will place more strain on the power tubes as I would have to boost the volume level to match the TC50. Thought if the Mark VII and JP2C could be daisy chained, nope. Same story with the TC amps, different mapping of commands than the JP so it will be a confused thing if you tried it. Bummer, why did Mesa do this? I do not think it was on purpose, not sure what the limits on the midi controller CPU are. JP2C needs to be used with an aftermarket midi controller if one wants to make use of the FX loop on/off function. I could have saved myself some money had I decided on a midi controller and programmed the amps to do things with channel command structure. At least in part that would provide two ports for controlling the BADS (assuming the relays are isolated from each other).

The Mark VII has really grown on me, I am discovering new things with it every time I plug in and push some air with it. Getting some ideas from videos on how some have dialed it in. Hey that really works. I tried similar things with the JP2C. Sure the JP is a different caliber of amp. I just do not feel it is worth the coin they are asking for these days. When I got it in 2016, I thought it was a reasonable price which was not that much over the cost of the Mark V90 in that year.

Hard to say which I like better, Mark VII or JP2C. I am getting more use from the Mark VII due to its various modes and flexible power section, so I do not feel strapped to one sound. Sure, the JP can be adjusted to sound the way you want it with the two GEQs, gain and presence pulls. The JP is one of few that allows you to select from IIC+ to a IV characteristic (that is how I view CH3). Some say the JP is better for gig performance. Not going to disagree with that. I learned the trick with the Mark VII (use the yellow bias color STR445 tubes, the greens were too much, I can only imagine what the grey or blue bias colors would sound like). A simple change in power tube bias color was the key ingredient for gig level performance improvement. If the tube is too hot, it will flop in the Simul-Class amp, depends on the amp in question and what tube it is I suppose. I will post some pictures when I get the amp.

^^^^^ I'm a big fan of running two amp heads and cabs together. If I'm running 2 of the same heads I purposely set them a bit different so they tonally compliment each other in a mix.
My question is: on 2 mkvii's, are you going to run same tubes on both or different tubes( or colors)?

Last edited:
I plan to run the same bias colors in both amps. STR445 yellow. Will see what it ships with first.
I get your point of a slight difference or offset in tone. I may give it some thought.

The Second Mark VII arrived a day early. I ran it through its paces and all was good. Hooked up the midi cable so I could control both amps with one footswitch. That worked great too. Have not set up the FX yet, will get to it soon enough. Should not take long to complete and then roll in the Badlander that is not in the images.

I have not seen one of those cards for the top of the amp with the guide on it for many years. It was on the bottom of the box. The first one did not have that. JP2C did not either. Last time I remember seeing such with a new amp, takes me back to the Mark IVB that I bought in 2000. I held onto it and sold that amp with all original tags, flags, and top card, also included the full schematic for that model I had lifted from the Tube Store as it was complete with all the details. That was before Mesa shut them down for hosting the schematics.

20240304_122448.jpg

20240304_122443.jpg

20240304_122453.jpg

20240304_122800.jpg

The First Mark VII ended up with the face plate I bought to match the V212 cab, it was specifically for the JP2C. I was tired of black grills and such. Needed something different. The colors are not perfect matches between the two amps. the cab on the right I bought back in 2017-2018 and the face plate soon after that. I do not mind the JP2C signature badge on the right lower corner. As for the Cab on the left, that grill matches the new Mark VII jute faceplate. Same Tolex texture as well.

Amp was shipped with the STR445 yellows. Good, do not have to swap the power tubes. Cycled it through all power modes on each channel along with each mode, messed with the reverb but have not run the FX loop. Perhaps tonight after work. Why I still have the tags on the first one as well as both Badlanders is because I am lazy. I will remove them and place them in the documents bin.

Also have to get the JP2C off of the floor and place it into storage. Tempted to set it up in the middle of the two Mark VII and run a three-channel rig. If I had the room, I would set up the JP on the two 410 cabs with a Mark VII and BAD on each side. Interesting ideal. That would not be difficult to do for a temporary moment of insanity. I am suffering from some hearing loss now as it is.

You need an out building, bro. LOL. What a fantastic array of amps and cabs.

I miss the little Made in USA red, white and blue stickers that used to be on the top of the amps. My Mark V still has it after gigging all these years.

I miss the made in the USA stickers too. Bummer they do not do that. At least it does not say Made in China on it. Hmm, better check for that so I do not eat my words again.

I have a hallway I do not use. It works great for all of the amp and cabs along with the guitars and such. I have other guitars in the studio closet that has most of the pedals, cables, microphones, cymbals and snare drums I am not using. Since this home is not at a single level, the hallway, studio and family are at the same level. Easy to move stuff if they are on their casters. I do not have any more room left if I get any more stuff. Perhaps two more guitars or another bass.

Will see about getting the full rig set up this evening if I have the energy to do so.

The Second Mark VII arrived a day early. I ran it through its paces and all was good. Hooked up the midi cable so I could control both amps with one footswitch. That worked great too. Have not set up the FX yet, will get to it soon enough. Should not take long to complete and then roll in the Badlander that is not in the images.
Whoa... stellar good looking pair there. Perhaps there is a video in the future?

There are plenty of videos out there on the Mark VII. Even with a Mark VII and a Badlander. I would rather do a rig review than make another video to compare amps. What I want to do is get back into recording again. Have not done that in a long time.

I have not seen one of those cards for the top of the amp with the guide on it for many years. It was on the bottom of the box. The first one did not have that. JP2C did not either. Last time I remember seeing such with a new amp, takes me back to the Mark IVB that I bought in 2000. I held onto it and sold that amp with all original tags, flags, and top card, also included the full schematic for that model I had lifted from the Tube Store as it was complete with all the details. That was before Mesa shut them down for hosting the schematics.

View attachment 3406
View attachment 3405
View attachment 3407
View attachment 3408

The First Mark VII ended up with the face plate I bought to match the V212 cab, it was specifically for the JP2C. I was tired of black grills and such. Needed something different. The colors are not perfect matches between the two amps. the cab on the right I bought back in 2017-2018 and the face plate soon after that. I do not mind the JP2C signature badge on the right lower corner. As for the Cab on the left, that grill matches the new Mark VII jute faceplate. Same Tolex texture as well.

Amp was shipped with the STR445 yellows. Good, do not have to swap the power tubes. Cycled it through all power modes on each channel along with each mode, messed with the reverb but have not run the FX loop. Perhaps tonight after work. Why I still have the tags on the first one as well as both Badlanders is because I am lazy. I will remove them and place them in the documents bin.

Also have to get the JP2C off of the floor and place it into storage. Tempted to set it up in the middle of the two Mark VII and run a three-channel rig. If I had the room, I would set up the JP on the two 410 cabs with a Mark VII and BAD on each side. Interesting ideal. That would not be difficult to do for a temporary moment of insanity. I am suffering from some hearing loss now as it is.
Nice rig !

Has anyone had luck rolling preamp tubes in the Mark VII yet? I am looking for a little less highs and maybe some more punch.
I have been playing around with some extreme settings on it for metal and found some good settings. Following the older mark settings of high treble, high gain and high presence and then dialing it back down with the geq it gets supper punchy and the IIc mode is absolutely fantastic like this. It's interesting because the way Mesa talks about the presence control affecting the compression level with lower settings and being more open with higher settings really makes the amp move air a lot more but it does make it extremely bright. It's almost like the presence works as a global or variable NFB resistor more than a traditional presence control that would be found on something like a Marshall.

I have thought about it but have not experimented with tube rolling the Mark VII. I know what you mean, the Mark VII was one of the first amps I actually liked the sound with the gain pushed, treble up but not maxed out and the midrange and bass dialed back, that sounded sic. I could not do that with the Mark V90 as it was too much of an ice pick to start with. JP2C, yeah, that worked with that amp too.

As for what preamp tube that would cut or curb the presence effect, I would assume a JAN/Phillips 12AT7 would help in the phase inverter. I am not overly fond of using such in a 12AX7 circuit. It may have worked to some extent with the Mark V90 but was not the ideal choice to fix the ice pick.

I have thought about it but have not experimented with tube rolling the Mark VII. I know what you mean, the Mark VII was one of the first amps I actually liked the sound with the gain pushed, treble up but not maxed out and the midrange and bass dialed back, that sounded sic. I could not do that with the Mark V90 as it was too much of an ice pick to start with. JP2C, yeah, that worked with that amp too.

As for what preamp tube that would cut or curb the presence effect, I would assume a JAN/Phillips 12AT7 would help in the phase inverter. I am not overly fond of using such in a 12AX7 circuit. It may have worked to some extent with the Mark V90 but was not the ideal choice to fix the ice pick.
Yeah I don't really want to run anything besides the 12ax7's in it either. For me this does not have the ice pick highs that was there in the V, the high end is way more musical and I really enjoy the aggression of the IIc mode set like this but felt like just taming a slight bit of the highs coukd further improve it. Honestly it's a good chance it's my speakers being v30's that's causing this more than anything and I have put some heavy thought into gettin some c90's or even the evm12l's to see

I have always found that using NOS RFT 12AX7's warm up and fatten up high gain amps. I have one in the V3 of my Mark IV (old Mullard in V1, Amperex bugle boy in V4) and my lead channel sounds great (as does R2). I use them in my Splawn Super sport as well as that amp can get really bright, with that amp I have them in V3 and V4 and a Mullard in V1. I tend to usually gravitate towards the older Chinese 12AX7B's (I have a bunch ) but those can add a "shrillness" to amp map if it's already there
i the right slot they can add a lot of balls to a lead circuit. JJ's used to be one of my go-to's but since I started messing with NOS tubes I have shied away from them as I feel they are dull sounding. I have gathered some NOS GE, Raytheon , Tungstram and Jan 12AX7's over the past year so the tube rolling continues :)

Last edited:
Back