NAD - Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daxman73

Reaction score
Hey guys, just picked up a sweet Mark III 1x12 combo. I still have some research and exploring to do, but thought I'd throw this out quick to see if you guys could throw some general info toward me on this baby. It has all the bells and whistles like Simul-class, GEQ, Reverb, and a EVM12L. I'm sort of familiar with the whole stripe/dot thing, but not detailed. It has what looks like a "+" or an "x", not sure exactly which, to the left side of the power cable, a dot over the power cable and it has a dot over the outlet as well. It also has an "R" in sharpie as well. The serial number is #15828 which places it in 1985. The "MB" signature and date "9/85" is in sharpie underneath, near the pre-amp tubes. I'm going to dissect it and get the transformer numbers and all the other goodies here in this weekend. It's in fantastic condition and sounds amazing. Any thoughts as too what this would be worth? Want to see if what I paid for it was close to what you guys think. Thanks!

Hard to tell without photos, especially the various dots and X's.
The red "R" is a factory reverb mod, nothing too remarkable since almost every Mark III has this.
Remember, originally, these were all made-to-order direct from the factory. They all started as basic 60 watt models at about $850, I seem to recall. 60/100 watts, Simul-Class (15/75 watts), reverb, graphic EQ, upgraded speakers like the EVM12L or Eminence MS-12 were all extra cost options, usually running about $150 each. The two foot switches with cables, and soft cover were included.
My fully loaded blue stripe Mark III was $1455 in 1990. Still gigging with it.
An Anvil case is highly recommended. Or a Studio Slips Clamshell.

I have a MK III and love it too. :)
It looks like you have a "Black Stripe" model, like mine. Its one of the earliest MK III's.....
Take a look at the "MK II C+ Guide for dummies" which is stickied. It will give you a lot of information about what, is what, on your amp and what the various serial numbers & writings on it mean. As well as any writing that is on the side of the amps chassis.
The "R2" mod is highly recommended. Makes channel 2 much more enjoyable. Do a search on the board for it, or Google. It will take you where you need to go. I was able to do the R2 mod and not give up my DI, presence or reverb controls. On my amp, looking at the back of it, to the far right, was a hole with a plastic plug in it for the simul-class switch. My simul-class switch is on the front of my amp.
Skip the reverb tank flipping mod. That would apply to heads, not combos.

This is subjective, but I would say the amp, in good condition is worth, $700 to $1200, with the EV speaker. You never can tell. Sometimes its more, sometimes less on eBay. But $850-ish is a good average.

-Chris

Thanks Chris for the info. That page on here is VERY informative, I love this site. I'm still lost as to what it is I have exactly. Do the Black "stripe" models have that "x" or is it an actual stripe like the others? Also, why do I have two black "dots"? I really need to get the transformer numbers as well. Right now, I think I'll leave it alone and not do the "R2" mod. I may down the road, but I don't have the footswitch for it and I'm not using that channel anyways, just using it for clean and lead. I would like to get a "head" shell for it eventually, and pack away the combo shell. Anyways, thanks again.

Well, Daxman73, after all what you've told us it's very likely Mike B. had your amp in his hands for a second time later for revision adn(or) upgrading, with all the dots and crosses on. And when you're telling us of its good sound this might be the proof for.

Back