My Tripple Rec isn´t loud!?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SocialD

Reaction score
im having some problems with my tripple recitfier. To make it loud enough for gigs and band rehersals I have to put the volume and master volume knobs almost to the max! (both are like 4 o clock)
I think it was alot louder when I bought it!

I guess this has something to do with the next problem; the amp is making some Noises, it´s sounds like bad instrument cable with more buzz when not playing. It´s the same on both channels and doesnt go away when I drop down the gain or volume.

I recently retubed the amp with jj´s mesa kit from Eurotubes. This noise started shortly after I did that.

Please comment if can help me out.

JJ's are usually very noisy tubes...most of the ones I went through had this problem.

Not to mention many seem to notice a volume drop when using them.

I could be a bad tube somewhere....they're famous for them. In my case atleast.

****!, I thing the noise is way to loud to be normal.

I still have a few (very) old mesa tubes. Should I replace the tubes one by one to find the bad tube?

Do you recommend any tubes to mix with the JJ´s, less noisy even?

thanks for your help.

Wow first time I thnk I have read someone say the triple is not loud enough LOL. I never put mine past half ever. Must be the tubes your using as I just use the Mesa's at my local shop and it is not noisy at all (unless I am picking up a radio station) and it is so loud I can't even practice with it where I currently live because the lowest setting is too loud.

good luck.

I would guess that your problem is the tubes. Even though you got new ones, they might be bad.

Loss of volume usually means Power Tubes
The noises might be a microphonic pre-amp tube.

Sucks you just got new tubes, but i would say try another set. If problems are still there, go to a tech.

+1 Look at the power tubes first. Take a pair of your old ones and try replacing the new ones in matching pairs (they are arranged like 1-2-3-3-2-1) and see what that does. If that doesn't help try swapping preamp tubes one at a time.

Don't forget when swapping tubes and trying to diagnose a problem to treat the PI uniquely.

Personally, I would start there. It's a single tube and the connection from the pre to power amp.

Also, don't discount the preamp tubes. They boost the signal before the poweramp so if they are doing it the poweramp tubes could be fine and the signal still very low.

Based on the theoretical functionality of an amp, I'd suspect that a preamp tube isn't boosting the signal well enough.

I can hear my mesa very loud now! my mistake I guess. The signal button next the FX loop was almost at zero. I cranked it up just a little bit, and wow! what a monster this amp is!.

I don´t even use the FX loop at all. So does the signal knob on the back work as the 2nd master volume knob?

also; I replaced two pre-amp tubes with my old mesa, sounds even better mixed like that. but the buzz is still there.

im not sure what to do about the power tubes, the JJ´s are 6V6´s and and the bias knob has to be on EL34, according to Eurotubes.
But my stock mesa tubes are 6l6 of course. is it all right to mix those together?

If your not gonna use the FX loop go to bypass, and watch that beast double in girth again.

SocialD said:
I don´t even use the FX loop at all. So does the signal knob on the back work as the 2nd master volume knob?

Yes and no.....like DavidW said, if you're not using the loop for anything you can set the knob on the back to Bypass and get more power/somewhat better tone. Your channel masters will be your only volume controls, as the Output and Solo will not function with the loop bypassed. If you need to use the Solo feature, set the FX send to about 1:00 and the FX Mix (assuming its a 3-channel model) to zero.

SocialD said:
...the JJ´s are 6V6´s and and the bias knob has to be on EL34, according to Eurotubes.
But my stock mesa tubes are 6l6 of course. is it all right to mix those together?

No. Running the stock 6L6's in EL34 bias will fry them in short order.

You can get some 6L6's from eurotubes that are graded to run in the EL34 bias setting...call Bob and tell him what you're doing and he can set you up.

NoGlassNoClass said:
SocialD said:
...the JJ´s are 6V6´s and and the bias knob has to be on EL34, according to Eurotubes.

No. Running the stock 6L6's in EL34 bias will fry them in short order.

You can get some 6L6's from eurotubes that are graded to run in the EL34 bias setting...call Bob and tell him what you're doing and he can set you up.

Yeah you can't mix different power tubes they must be the same, 6L6 etc.

Glad it was something simple I was quite shocked to hear you say it wasn't loud enough!!!

Latest posts

Back