my road king never seems loud enough!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearsmith3685

Reaction score
hi im new to this forum and im having a bit of a problem with my road king series 1.I used to use a Hughes n Kettner triamp mark 1 along with a booss gt6 guitar effects processor and an ernie ball volume pedal which sounded great and was easily loud enough for any sized venue i gigged at.I bought the RK and wired it up exactly the same way as i did the Hughes and Kettner ie: from the send of the amps effect loop to the boss gt6 input,out the gt6 output to the input of the volume pedal and then out the volume pedal back to the return of the amps effects loop.I tried this wiring with the RK and the volume never seemed loud enough so i adjusted the output volume of the gt6 to make the volume considerably louder but then had the problem of the effects screaming because the output was too high! i then tried turning the master output of the amp up to about 2:00 but then got a huge reverby swirling sound at high volume. i really dont know what else to do so if anybody can help me out i would greatly appreciate it.i dont know anybody else that has a RK so this forum is my only chance of knowing how to solve the problem.

p.s. does anybody know how to wire an effects processor and a volume pedal into the RK effects loops without volume loss?

Answer a question, do you sit properly in the mix?

9 outta 10 times when people say not loud enough they have settings no condusive to how they should sit in a band's mix.

What are you using the GT for? Unless you are using it for modulations (chorus, tremolo) and delays exclusively you need to get it in front of the preamp.

I have a GT-6, as well, and got a better response volume wise by running my guitar to the input of the GT-6 and then the output of the GT-6 directly to the guitar input of the amp. Since then, I put together a small pedalboard for some modulation and delay, running it the same way. I can also split the pedal board to run a clean overdrive and compressor up front and run a chorus, tremelo, and delay in the loop, if I want to use 4 cables. Just food for thought.

I had some similar issues that you had with the GT-6 overdriving when turned up too far in loop 1. Dial it up slowly, so you don't get the ugly whirring sound. Your effects may sound subdued. Also, and stated above, each channel on the GT-6 has an output setting.

If you are using the rectifier tubes, go to diode, and try running your amp on bold.

I think that you will have more luck running it in front of the pre-amp, though. Tone will vary depending on which patches you are using. I hope that helps.

Boogiebabies said:
Each channel has it's own loop volume that drive the power amp. They need to be set to 12-2:00.
I was thinking the same thing but the truth is that I have a GT-3 and I can't use it with any amp, front or in the loop. I think they destroy your signal. VHT has the Valvulator which is supposed to fix the signal but I'd consider getting rid of GT-6. With no fx my RK seriesI goes at least twice as loud with out hissing or back ground noise. Sometimes I'll use a DD-20 but even then I lose a bit of volume.

Back