My RK II combo came in and....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol4t

Reaction score
...I didn't take it home.
Here's the story. My nephew also ordered a RK II head and cab at the same time. We were able to play them side by side and the combo sounded like it had a blanket over it, I'm talking BIG difference. We plugged the combo into the cab thinking it might be the speaker/combo making the difference and the cab sounded just as bad with my ordered combo amp. My shop guy is a very experienced, honest guy and he said "something's not right, let me call Mesa Monday".
Anybody out there know what gives? I'm guessing (hoping) it's a tube difference as the circuits should be identical. If that's not it, I'd never recommend the combo over the head/cab.

I would guess it is a bad tube or possibly a bad speaker. The circuitry in Mesa's heads and combos are identical, AFAIK. Plugging the combo into the separate cabinet should produce the same results as using the head.

That amp has fourteen tubes -- it's not a stretch for one to go bad if the box was bumped around a bit during shipping or something.

Couldn't be the speaker, we tried the speaker cab that sounded good with the head, other mesa cabs. I wonder which tube would make a lack luster sound? Since the 34s sounded as "dull" as the 6L6's it would seem likely it's a preamp tube? It was bad enough that as I was leaving my salesman was telling the owner "that combo doesn't sound good", he didn't know I was standing behind him.

Yes, you're right -- it's not a speaker, you eliminated that possibility by trying another. That was a bit stupid of me to miss that. :p

If this happens in all channels, I'd guess the problem is with the V1 tube -- that's the only one that is always active no matter what channel you're using.

dude how bummed were you that you spent all this money and waited for your amp to be shipped only to finally get it but it's all messed up. I'd be so bummed. ha ha not to make ya feel worse or anything but i can totally sympathize with you.

Hmm. Looking at the manual online, I suppose the problem could also be with V6 (the driver tube).

I hope you can get it all sorted out.

Thanks for the sympathy (I think :lol: ), there's really no problem with me saying no deal with my shop. It is a bummer to have to wait though. I'm hoping the tube change is all that is needed, if it is indeed a quirk of the combo, I'll order the head and cab.

That's funny. My RK II v.2 just went south on the channel 3 and 4 vintage and modern. Even after a full retube and multiple speaker cabs the amp has gone to inaudible mush. Round 3 !!!!

As far as the RK II, I'm out. Enough, Finito I'll stick with what I have or buy another Diezel.

3 RK's is enough not to get a good one.

I guess I was fortunate with mine...the worst I experienced with it was that it arrived with 2 defective RECTO tubes.....caused by the carrier as the box was pretty beat up.

Mesa sent me a pair....and a full preamp retube and I couldn't be happier...no popping, hissing...nothing but total bliss 8)

How did the defective tubes manifest themselves?
Not very often you would get the chance to compare the two amps right out of the box, I'm wondering if like guitars, amps can very so greatly in tone?
Anybody else had the chance to compare a RK II combo to a head and cab side by side?

Boogiebabies said:
Yes, an opened back combo would seem brighter with less bottom end.
Okay, that's to be expected. No brightness and no low end has to be another issue then?

:idea: You know what, as I sit here a grieve, I wonder if we overlooked the bold/spongy switch. It's easy to overlook that switch and perfectly describes the sound difference. Wish I'd taken it home, I could check it. :(

Hmmmmmmm! I think warrantee repairs are gonna pick up. But that's kinda sad. I remember and old adage, "The better the guitar player, the fewer knobs on his amp." and another "KISS" Keep it simple stupid. I hope the hamsters won't eat up the shrubbery again this year.

Restless Rocks said:
Hmmmmmmm! I think warrantee repairs are gonna pick up. But that's kinda sad. I remember and old adage, "The better the guitar player, the fewer knobs on his amp." and another "KISS" Keep it simple stupid. I hope the hamsters won't eat up the shrubbery again this year.
You're probably right on the KISS rule, however once the knobs are set I'm hoping having one amp that sounds like a couple of amps, that would be keeping it simple.

Back