My Mesa F-50 is dead...need help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've read, the Jensen NEO 100 is pretty good speaker so I'm taking a chance.

Hey Lt, I have a neo 100 in a little Reverend Goblin amp. I can tell you from experience, that speaker needs an extended break in. I bought the amp and was thought that it was pretty boxy and harsh sounding at first. Well, I found out that after playing it for about a month, a little here and there, all of a sudden the speaker started opening up, as well as, warming up. So, the first time you play through it is not going to be it's final sound. You'll need to give it a chance. My suggestion to you is that if you buy it, you'd better start playing through it as soon and as much as possible. It's going to sound different and better a few gigs down the road. It is a good sounding speaker.

Lt_Core said:
Here's the deal: blown C90 speaker!

sh!t, we don't play that loud. He said there was some defect in the speaker. Who knows...

He has some in-stock speakers:

Jensen NEO 100 (more warm, tighter bass than the C90)
G12 75 ( similar to the C90 black shadow)
G12 70 (used speaker, no warranty, no thanks)

I've heard good things about the NEO 100's. Any thoughts? In the end, he said it will cost just over $100. Not bad I guess.
That's great that you found the problem and lousy that the speaker selection is so sparse. The C90 is NOT similar to the G12T-75. IMO, the G12T-75 is a bassy shrill speaker with a hollow midrange, and is better suited to Marshall amps. IIRC the C90 is Mesa's version of a Celestion Classic Lead 80 or CL80, which has a pretty tight bottom and even frequency response. If you didn't like that speaker, check out the Avatar Hellatone 60Ls. It's a broken-in Celestion Vintage 30 with extended bass response. I really love V30s with my F-100.

Brewski said:
Hey Lt_Core, How'd your gig go and how did that Neo work out, if that is the speaker that you went with?

Hey Brewski,

Thanks for checking in. The gig went great! The Jensen NEO 100 is definitely not as brittle/harsh as the C90 Black Shadow. I'm still messing around with the amp settings. We have another gig tonight, then a week off so I'll have more time to fine-tune everything.

From what I've read, it will take 4-6 gigs to really break in the new speaker, which will supposedly lead to a more warmer sound but so far so good.

That's cool. I'm glad that it's working out for you. Yes, that speaker will definitely warm up, as I mentioned further up the thread. You'll be able to hear a difference down the road. I'm glad that it went well for you and that your amp is up and running. BTW- what kind of music do you play?

Back