My Mesa boogie Dual rectifier 3 channel has problems help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Glancy

Reaction score
Hey there

I live in the United Kingdom and i have played boogie amps for the last 6 years. I had a dual rectifier 2 channel and sold it to get a three channel. It sounded okay but the first time i gigged it at a loud volume it has been playing up since. Whenever i play the amp at reasonbley low volumes i am getting a trebbily scratchy and poppy sound and you have to work really hard to get fluidity from the amp in the vintage and modern modes. Another problem is that when i run the amp on valve/ spongey the amps output is really weak. I can turn up the output all the way and the masster all the way and it is not to loud at all, on my other boogies i NEVER would have done this unless i wanted to burst my eardrums. People keep telling me to sell it and buy a british amp and that boogies are unreliable. I am tempted but i just love the sound of a recto when it is functioning and saturating properly. I sent it to a mesa service center and they sent it back to me and it sounded okay for about a week and now it sounds exactley the way it did.

I have revalved it, 12ax7 eh and mesa power tubes. still no joy, any of you dudes expericene anything like this on a rectifier series amp?

It basically sounds like i am in raw mode all the time and the prescence and treble are hyper sensitive.

cheers Chris :? :?: :?:

I'll bet it's one of the first couple of runs. They had a problem with, of all screwey things, the pots on those. A friend of mine ended up having all the pots replaced in his 3 channel Dual.

I'll bet they cleaned them at the tech's shop, and the problem has returned after they got "dirty" again. It *should* still be under warranty, right?

i took it to a mesa guy in london and he fixed a broken resistor or something and it still sounded like **** so i aked him to take a closer look and he told me to **** off basically.

i took it to a mesa guy in london and he fixed a broken resistor or something and it still sounded like **** so i aked him to take a closer look and he told me to f£$k off basically.

I then sent it to the mesa servie center by mail and they had it for 5 weeks, where they said they were going to fix it, i got it back and they sai they a/b'it with another new dual recto and said it was fine.I feel somehow that these guys plug into the amp and hear a distortion and go ..yup it works. My problem is in the awfull sound of the distorrtion. You cant do anything like legato or sweep picking asd there is not enough saturation, its like doing it on a blues amp or something. I am not getting that kind of metallica chug chug mesa trademark tone when i lightly palm mut the low strings. It just sounds *****. I dont know what to say, i know boogi has a lot of features and whn they go wrong they are nigh on impossible to get fixed here in the uk.

p.s. u guys need to check out cornford amps, increadable sound

I just got a triple rec 3 channel and kinda had the same problem and found out that if your fx loop is on( not bypassed) you have to turn up the fx send level to bring back your gain. Look on the back of your amp and bring up your fx send level to at least 50%, or just bypass the fx loop. Try that , thats all I can think of.

slyym said:
I just got a triple rec 3 channel and kinda had the same problem and found out that if your fx loop is on( not bypassed) you have to turn up the fx send level to bring back your gain. Look on the back of your amp and bring up your fx send level to at least 50%, or just bypass the fx loop. Try that , thats all I can think of.

Hmm. I forgot about that one - that can definitely do it.

Latest posts

Back