My Mark V replica – made with the utmost respect to Mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypticb

Reaction score

Hey, fellas! So, here she is - my Mark V replica! A local amp builder and a very good friend of mine made it for me. Mind you, he isn't doing business selling these. It's a one-off gift for lucky ol' cryptic!

You might be wondering how the hell can one recreate an amplifier of such complexity. Long story short, it involves high-quality parts (nothing exotic, though), a custom-wound transformer, double-checking the schematics floating online with an experienced repair-man, and passion for the craft. We left the reverb, fan, and some other non-essentials out. He also stuck a Soviet-era '73 Svetlana tube inside the 10W circuit for more vibe!

Tone? Heavenly! I haven't played a legit Mark V to compare, but everything about the amplifier behaves exactly as described in the manual. The amp is supremely versatile and never disappoints. No guitar sound in history is out of its reach. This is THE "desert island" amp and I'd much rather own it than an Axe-Fx.

Samples when I dial in a really solid tone. I'm still getting to know this beast.

I'm happy to answer any questions, but inevitable talks about the amp maker and "how can I get me one" (u can't :D) ought to happen via private messages. I'm not here to advertise, just to brag! :)

Looks good. Almost looks like a rehoused Mark V, but tun little details creep in... The the numbering on the graphic EQ. Nice touch. 8)

Yup, here's one - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6qziU1IUSRyd1VhUGp3UUVGZ3c/view?usp=drivesdk

Was this hand-built? If so, I'm deeply impressed that someone managed to squeeze all that circuitry (even without the omitted features) in such small space. Whoever built it must have very small hands...

As for the omitted features, what type of rectfication does the amp use? I don't see a tube/silicon diode selection switch for 45 watts.

Bad *** dude!
Does it only take 6L6's, no self bios, did he build you the footswitch, what preamp and power tubes are you running because they sound hot, how long was the build time, so many questions??? Can't believe you've never played the real deal, what were you playing before?

Heya! Thanks for the kind words, guys.

@LesPaul 70 – It's hand-built, with various factory-ordered parts (panels, power transformer) thrown in. There's no diode/tube switch.

@kreatorkills – I am not sure about the type of tubes it takes, but I'm not looking forward to experimenting with EL34 tubes anyway. I'll ask when I have the chance. Power tubes are JJ 6L6 and yeah, the Palmer loadbox lets me grill them nicely :) Build time, I'm told, took about four months. You can pick up more details from my thread @TGP (sorry if linking to another board is against the rules here). Prior to this amp, I played amp modelers. I always fancied the Mark series' blistering gain, though. To have this amp as a gift is not only flattering, it's very much a dream come true :)

Latest posts

Back